Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the tax rate increase on people earning $1 million+ per year?
Yes 98 61.25%
No 62 38.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
That is blatantly untrue. Some businesses are capable of reducing costs without passing them on to the consumer.
Blatently wrong. Cost of business, including all taxes levied, are added to a total and business must make a percentage of profit over and above cost. Its that simple. Business doesn't pay taxes out of their net profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 04:05 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,007 times
Quote:

Mr. Obama was right when he told Congress that the country has choices to make. “Should we keep tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires? Or should we put teachers back to work so our kids can graduate ready for college and good jobs? Right now, we can’t afford to do both.” His argument is sound, and so is the economics behind it. That won’t stop his critics. He needs to keep pushing back.
I disagree..millionaires' investments support and/or create business which creates jobs, either directly or indirectly. As for rehiring people on public payroll paid for by tax payers and who do not contribute to creating jobs...any Federal input is just temporary! They will be back on the unemployment line when the $'s run out.

We can find $'s for education by getting rid of hundreds, no thousands, of administrative position which are not necessary and get rid of the Federal Education Agency (one size never fits all and they have done absolutely no good for education...this Federal Agency has actually hurt education) and put the schools back under the jurisdiction of local control where needs and problem solving can be done as needed by that particular area. That's for starters. Good teachers have been gagged and bound for years, having to dumb down education. I fear it has probably come to the point where not many are left that understand real education.

BO hasn't a clue! He needs to read the Constitution and follow same. The Federal Government has so far overreached their Constitutional limits, anyone voting for or signing into law anything within that overreach "should be removed from office." The sooner the better!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:07 PM

57,318 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Again...those high tax rates were hardly ever paid. $'s went into "tax shelters" that brought down net, taxable income substantially...you know, down to lower rates!
There are mnore tax shelters today than 30 years ago and the largest shelter, the capital gains tax is at a historic low along with the top marginal rate.

Back to the original argument that low taxes promote growth, where is the growth the last 10 years?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are mnore tax shelters today than 30 years ago and the largest shelter, the capital gains tax is at a historic low along with the top marginal rate.

Back to the original argument that low taxes promote growth, where is the growth the last 10 years?
Good question. But that and job creation was what got the Bush cuts extended and an additional payroll tax added.

8.5 months into the year and still no jobs or growth from the Obama cuts.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,600 times
[quote=512ATX;20986082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post

It's a simple math equation. how is it flawed?

It became flawed when you added your inept reasoning to the equation.

That "inept" reasoning is reality. You believe the only reason people are on welfare is because they're lazy. This belief is far from reality. The vast majority of people on welfare are on it for less than two years, most even less than that. They hit hard times, go on food stamps, and move on in a short period of time.

The program helps far more people than it hurts.

Time on Welfare and Welfare Dependency: Testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee, Subcommittee on Human Resources

There stereotype that welfare recipients are lazy is simply not accurate.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:32 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What do you think oil companies will do? Do you think they will hold gasoline prices steady?

We all see price at the pump rise almost immediately after the price of crude jumps. Even thought the gasoline in the ground at the gas station was bought before the crude price changed.

So the oil comopanies are MOST likely to pass on any increase in corporate income taxes to consumers. The people who will most be impacted by an increase in taxes on oil companies are those with the least discretionary income. It will not cause their executives to earn less unless profits fall (assuming some form of incentive tied to profits).

That said - I favor eliminating almost all tax incentives/deductions - for corporations and individuals.
What I'm saying is that your opinion is hollow and not based upon any evidence.

There are people who study these matters and use something called math. This is their findings, which differs from your opinion:

Quote:
Congressional report: Cutting oil company tax breaks is unlikely to affect consumers

Opponents of ending tax breaks for big oil companies argue that closing tax loopholes will result in higher prices at the pump, but a report from the non-partisan Congressional Research Service finds that ending the tax breaks is unlikely to cause a rise in prices.
The Congressional Research Service says that eliminating tax breaks for large oil companies is unlikely to have much affect on gasoline prices, because crude oil is the largest factor in the price of gas, and the price of crude oil is set by world market.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 AM

616 posts, read 854,944 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post

That "inept" reasoning is reality. You believe the only reason people are on welfare is because they're lazy. This belief is far from reality. The vast majority of people on welfare are on it for less than two years, most even less than that. They hit hard times, go on food stamps, and move on in a short period of time.
now you're making up stuff. why? did you hear me say "the only reason people are on welfare is because they're lazy."?? DID YOU HEAR ME SAY THAT?..NO, you didn't. you' re just a kneeejerk Obamabot that talks outta their rumps without reading with understanding. I get it.

FACT IS. I came from a Welfare environment, as I clearly stated in past posts, I just REFUSED to sit on my butt and wait for Goatmouth Barry Obameee or any other governement body to send me a Gov'ment debt check like the MAJORITY of those that do. AND since I've been there and done that, I KNOW, that the ones I was around was LAZY.

now apologize to me and might give you some much needed attention and school your thick headed approach to this matter.

Quote:
The program helps far more people than it hurts.

Time on Welfare and Welfare Dependency: Testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee, Subcommittee on Human Resources

There stereotype that welfare recipients are lazy is simply not accurate
You've never been on Welfare or come within a 100 miles of having to use it, PLUS, you don't know anybody that's ever been on welfare. and until you walk a mile in that environment, you can stop all the cut and paste links like you have intelligence on the matter. AND any idiot knows that welfare is not to LIVE OFF OF. it's an assitance program, NOT A FREE CHECK as you seem to promote that it should be.

It's suppose to be used as a means to GET ON YOUR FEET, not SIT ON YOUR BUTT AND COLLECT as if it's there forever. this is the ignorace you show on the matter. you shouldn't even be arguing about it.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
now you're making up stuff. why? did you hear me say "the only reason people are on welfare is because they're lazy."?? DID YOU HEAR ME SAY THAT?..NO, you didn't. you' re just a kneeejerk Obamabot that talks outta their rumps without reading with understanding. I get it.
Did I hear you say that? Let's look.

Quote:
FACT IS. I came from a Welfare environment, as I clearly stated in past posts, I just REFUSED to sit on my butt and wait for Goatmouth Barry Obameee or any other governement body to send me a Gov'ment debt check like the MAJORITY of those that do. AND since I've been there and done that, I KNOW, that the ones I was around was LAZY.

now apologize to me and might give you some much needed attention and school your thick headed approach to this matter.

You've never been on Welfare or come within a 100 miles of having to use it, PLUS, you don't know anybody that's ever been on welfare. and until you walk a mile in that environment, you can stop all the cut and paste links like you have intelligence on the matter. AND any idiot knows that welfare is not to LIVE OFF OF. it's an assitance program, NOT A FREE CHECK as you seem to promote that it should be.

It's suppose to be used as a means to GET ON YOUR FEET, not SIT ON YOUR BUTT AND COLLECT as if it's there forever. this is the ignorace you show on the matter. you shouldn't even be arguing about it.
[/quote]

You said it about four times in this post alone, thrice explicitly.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM

616 posts, read 854,944 times
Quote:
Did I hear you say that? Let's look.

You said it about four times in this post alone, thrice explicitly.
but not once did I say this: ""the only reason people are on welfare is because they're lazy."

but thanks for highlighting what I wrote, it proves without a doubt that YOU cannot read with any inkling of understanding, but I'm here to help. I'm a sucker for helping out the slowest thinkers of our society.

Repeat 3rd grade that way --->

Old 09-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
but not once did I say this: ""the only reason people are on welfare is because they're lazy."

but thanks for highlighting what I wrote, it proves without a doubt that YOU cannot read with any inkling of understanding, but I'm here to help. I'm a sucker for helping out the slowest thinkers of our society.

Repeat 3rd grade that way --->
Apparently you need to go back to third grade if this is how you argue.

Quote:
"I just REFUSED to sit on my butt and wait for Goatmouth Barry Obameee or any other governement body to send me a Gov'ment debt check like the MAJORITY of those that do"
Everyone else is lazy.

Quote:
[welfare recipients]
Quote:
I was around was LAZY.
Welfare recipients are lazy.

Quote:
not SIT ON YOUR BUTT AND COLLECT as if it's there forever.
Welfare recipients are lazy.

That was in just the one post you made. Let's go through all of them. You've made 26 posts on this thread.

#220.
Quote:
the taxes are then sent to lowest income slackers aka the bums who don't wanna work anyway
Quote:
...for those [people] that choose to sit on their rumps and beg for government hand outs all day. [ED: Welfare recipients]...

It's almost like saying "don't shoot for the mooon" .."shoot for mediocracy and the government will help with the rest"
Your delusional fantasy narrative at #262
Quote:
"you have to give Billy next door 50% of what you made off your lemonade stand". Jimmy says "but Billy sat up and watched cartoons all summer, that's not right mom!"
Billy here is obviously the welfare recipient you're speaking of.

#309 revisits your fantasy, after I injected reality into it.
Quote:
Billy should've still got his lazy good for nothing butt out there and at the very least help Jimmy make the money so Jimmy won't feel like he got robbed by his mom in giving up that 50%. but noooo, let's not discuss Billy's lazy ass attittude towards hard work,
Remember, Billy is the welfare recipient.

#314. I do believe "leech" is a dysphemism for "lazy."
Quote:
Welfare leeches know better than to actually get a damn job. they aren't that stupid..lol they know that welfare check is a constant. and they also know that they themselves are lazy as hell and won't make the job a constant. go figure
I refused to go on Welfare because it's a trap and makes you ridiculously lazy knowing you have a government check coming and not have to work for it.
Editors Note: No evidence supporting welfare makes you lazy.

You might fool the ****s in the league office, but you don't fool Jesus.

EDIT: Fixed quote brackets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies