Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the tax rate increase on people earning $1 million+ per year?
Yes 98 61.25%
No 62 38.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
here's a simple math equation for anybody that thinks Obama's tax on the millionaires is worth a flip:

tax the millionaires and the millionaires cut jobs. then you have no job growth at all. simple math

the taxes are then sent to lowest income slackers aka the bums who don't wanna work anyway

that's Obama's job's bill in a nut shell. not one valid sustainable job will be created, just temp work to glaze over the fact that there will be no jobs created.

but the Obama pep rallies continue on into 2012.
I just wonder if any people actually believe this kind of nonsense? Wow! I know several state similar things, but believe it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:10 AM

616 posts, read 855,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I just wonder if any people actually believe this kind of nonsense? Wow! I know several state similar things, but believe it?
If they can believe "Yes We Can"..they'll believe anything.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
ask yourself this question...IF you grew a business that made widgets from the ground up and you became a millionaire, do you think it would be fair to you if say 10% of your earnings were forced out of your bottomline to pay for all the anchor babies left by deported immigrants??

would you be ok with that? this is just one hypothetical example.

and don't dance around it, just asnwer the question yes or no.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,960,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
here's a simple math equation for anybody that thinks Obama's tax on the millionaires is worth a flip:

tax the millionaires and the millionaires cut jobs. then you have no job growth at all. simple math

the taxes are then sent to lowest income slackers aka the bums who don't wanna work anyway

that's Obama's job's bill in a nut shell. not one valid sustainable job will be created, just temp work to glaze over the fact that there will be no jobs created.

but the Obama pep rallies continue on into 2012.
Yours is a false narrative. We now have the lowest taxes in two generations. In Eisenhower's day, millionaires paid a 90% marginal rate; under Kennedy, it was 70%. Even under GOP Saint Reagan, marginal rates were 50%. Now, they are 35%. Somehow, millionaires created jobs and invested money when Eisenhower, Kennedy and Reagan lived in the White House. The narrative that millionaires will cut their nose to spite their face and not invest in sound investments unless they're given preferential tax treatment is preposterous on its face.

BTW, your post had no math whatsoever in it. But this is a math problem:

Tax-rates are 35%. If one has a business and is considering a venture that will yield $1,000,000 gross profit. Will you invest in this project? The answer is "of course," because you will make a profit after tax ($1,000,000 - $350,000 = $650,000.) Now, will you still consider the project if the tax-rate was 50%? The answer is "of course," because you will make a profit after tax ($1,000,000 - $500,000 = $500,000.) You see, millionaires won't go on strike and not invest their money as long as there is profit to be made. That's the basis of capitalism and contrary to John Boehner's talking point.

Last edited by MTAtech; 09-20-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'll stand by my comment, why should I go out and defend you if you don't want to pay your share to be an Ameican. As far as I am concerned those who won't pay are parasites.
And, who said I don't want to pay? Better take reading comprehension and expand your ability to understand what you read!

I put into simple language the problems created by Federal Government's overspending in areas they don't have jurisdiction! PERIOD!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,268,139 times
I wonder if Obama would get more support if he would just quit lying. FACT CHECK: Are rich taxed less than secretaries? - Yahoo! News

Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
If you don't believe the post that was above your above post, then you have no knowledge of free-enterprise economics, of which our America cannot survive!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yours is a false narrative. We now have the lowest taxes in two generations. In Eisenhower's day, millionaires paid a 90% marginal rate; under Kennedy, it was 70%. Even under GOP Saint Reagan, marginal rates were 50%. Now, they are 35%. Somehow, millionaires created jobs and invested money when Eisenhower, Kennedy and Reagan lived in the White House. The narrative that millionaires will cut their nose to spite their face and not invest in sound investments unless they're given preferential tax treatment is preposterous on its face.

BTW, your post had no math whatsoever in it.
I don't understand that how in a country that promotes "shooting for the moon", that somehow those that do shoot for the moon are penalized for those that choose to sit on their rumps and beg for government hand outs all day. and continue to have kids when they can't afford them. and drop out of school when they know they need to stay there. i don't get that. do you?

It's almost like saying "don't shoot for the mooon" .."shoot for mediocracy and the government will help with the rest"

Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

BTW, your post had no math whatsoever in it.
But...VBG...what you are missing in your "history lesson" is that those falling under those ridiculously high tax rates never had "taxable income" at those rates. There were millions of "investment shelters" where most of their $'s went as investments and actually created jobs in that area! Those mostly ended during the tax revisions of the Reagan years at which time the tax rates dropped to compensate for the demise of tax shelters.

Yes, if you try to take $'s millionaires earn you will lose jobs within our economy. BO and crew and many more don't seem to understand how the economy works...or should work.

Last edited by lorrysda; 09-20-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Obama would love nothing more than to have America latched to the teat of the Federal Reserve. anybody with common sense can see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies