Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 05:53 PM

27,625 posts, read 15,710,441 times

Advertisements

" Why are we spending so much time complaining about taxes?"

Do you have any idea how much time is spent thinking up new ways to take them!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:05 PM

227 posts, read 142,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillTownCath View Post
Indeed, there is waste. For example, spending money on oil subsidies, or two pointless wars. However, I enjoy having things like roads and police men or schools.

Ah yes the usual drivel from the left.
Federal taxes that only 50% of people pay is way out of control. BTW yes I am part of the 50%.

I believe we should pay more in state taxes than federal. I also have never voted no for a local tax increase. Most people are against the Feds wasting money. 500,000,000 would have gone a long way to help people instead of trying to push solar panels to people that don't want it.

Please don't throw out the fire and policemen that is a local tax. The Gov is there to protect us and that means military, FBI, Border Patrol, FDA after that not much else is needed.

Do away with the dept of ed. didn't need it before Carter not sure why its needed now. Keep the education money in the state it was collected why must it go to the feds then back to where it came from in the 1st place. How wastefull is that.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:18 PM

59,542 posts, read 27,968,429 times
Quote:
We have historically low taxes, which haven't been so low since 1950.
The President has only lowered taxes (during his stimulis package) and continued the Bush tax cuts. Why do we have an entire "party" (aka the tea Party) thats basic existence is dedicated to whining about taxes?

Tax bills in 2009 at lowest level since 1950 - USATODAY.com
In case you haven't noticed Obama has INCREASED SPENDING BY 24%.

He has addled over $3TRILLION(?) to the debt/deficit.

Most people don't mind paying a reasonable amount in taxes IF the money is spent properly. are you aware of Solyndra?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Indeed, there is waste. For example, spending money on oil subsidies, or two pointless wars. However, I enjoy having things like roads and police men or schools.
Sorry, police and schools are LOCAL funding issues. The things you mention are federal.

Maybe that is one of the problems. Not enough people know what the Constitution says about the feds responsibilities and what is the states.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:24 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,202,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sorry, police and schools are LOCAL funding issues. The things you mention are federal.

Maybe that is one of the problems. Not enough people know what the Constitution says about the feds responsibilities and what is the states.
No doubt we have an under-educated voting public. It was done by design via public schools and the federal government injecting itself into them.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,376,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
In case you haven't noticed Obama has INCREASED SPENDING BY 24%.

He has addled over $3TRILLION(?) to the debt/deficit.

Most people don't mind paying a reasonable amount in taxes IF the money is spent properly. are you aware of Solyndra?
When discussing debt, we have to keep the chart in this article in mind: Debt vs. Gold: The Hidden Link Explained

$14 trillion in debt isnt what $10 trillion in debt used to be. If I were China, I'd be pissed. Fortunate for us, we're the borrower.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Wow what a waste, glad we cut these freeloadin' fire fighters off!

"Minneapolis lays off 10 firefighters because of state budget cuts"

Minneapolis lays off 10 firefighters because of state budget cuts | StarTribune.com
So what. It is not MY responsibility to take care of another city in another state.

Maybe you should hold those in that state responsible. What a concept!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 PM

27,625 posts, read 15,710,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillTownCath

Oil subsidies?
I wasn't aware of us giving any money to Oils companies, that's what a subsidy is- giving money.

Wha t is ofter called Subsidies are actually Tax incentives given to allow and encourage investment in exploration, in the case of oil companies, and development that grow resources and employment.

Not bad things at all.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:38 PM

31,313 posts, read 20,950,686 times
Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but roads and police men are a tiny fraction of government spending.

And having the federal government involved in schools is a total waste.

Government should not subsidize any business.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,932,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I usually complain when I am forced to turn money over to others who did not earn it and who waste it without regard to from whom they took it.
And the Entitlement Class in this country does this quite effectively ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies