Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the existence of the Social Security trust fund?
Yes 7 22.58%
No 24 77.42%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:47 AM

22 posts, read 11,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
so what you are saying then is the Dem's lied to us about old people not getting their check during the fight over the debt ceiling. For if there was a fund why was anyone worried about the elderly getting their SS checks?
This is not a partisan issue.
I believe the Democrats have lied.
I believe the Republicans have lied.
Both parties try to scare us and lie to us to manipulate us.

We argue amongst ourselves as if we believe one party or the other will "save" us. As if one party honors the people of this country, does not exploit them to maintain their own power base and works with integrity to guarantee the rights, liberties and freedoms protected by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. One party works to preserve and protect the properity of the people of this country; The other party is the one full of corrupt politicians using government to rape the people of this country.

Does anyone really believe that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 11:49 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I can see you're more interested in playing political football that understanding how to protect what is probably the most important financial asset in your portfolio.

Have you paid payroll taxes? If so, for how many years?

Please read what I'm writing carefully, wjwet. This has a direct bearing on your pocket book. You need to understand what politicians are trying to do here if you want to be able to protect your money.

The "Dems" said that the elderly might not get their SS checks because in order to meet its obligations, SS had to cash in a portion of the $2.5 trillion in bonds it holds. The US government has to meet this obligation. The only way it can at the moment is to borrow.

Are you willing to forfiet your portion of a $2.5 trillion dollar asset to take a bite out of the $14 trillion dollar debt? That's the real question here. If you are, you're more altruistic than I am.

Personally, l plan on forcing the US government to pay up on the treasury bonds my payroll taxes purchased over the past 30 years. To balance its books, the US government is going to have to look elsewhere. I suggest trying to convince China its bonds are a "ponzi scheme."
You have not answered me. Were the democrats playing politics in the debt ceiling debate when they said the elderly might not get their SS checks? If there is a 2.5 trillion dollar trust fund surely the elderly would have got SS checks. If you are correct and there is 25 trillion in assets why were the elderly in danger of not getting their checks during the debts ceiling debate?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshRox01 View Post

We argue amongst ourselves as if we believe one party or the other will "save" us. As if one party honors the people of this country, does not exploit them to maintain their own power base and works with integrity to guarantee the rights, liberties and freedoms protected by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. One party works to preserve and protect the properity of the people of this country; The other party is the one full of corrupt politicians using government to rape the people of this country.

So you agree during the debt ceiling debate the elderly were never in danger of not getting ss checks. Then why did Obama say they might not get them?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Quote:

I completely agree with you. This is not a partisan issue. I don't care who you are, Republic or Democrat, no one likes to be robbed.

Social Security is somewhat of a "wonky" issue, but it's really not that hard to understand once you grasp the basics. The facts are also not disputed by the experts, regardless of political affiliation.

The problem is that those of us under 40 don't really pay attention to SS. We're too young and retirement is to far off to worry about. Some politicians are trying to take advantage of this fact to welch on $2.5 trillion the US government owes us. They owe us this because our tax dollars bought it.

Time to pay up idiots. Find some other sucker to screw.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 AM

22 posts, read 11,023 times
Quote:
So you agree during the debt ceiling debate the elderly were never in danger of not getting ss checks. Then why did Obama say they might not get them?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
In the specific time period of debt ceiling debate what did the republican lie to us about. So you do beleive the Democrats lie dto us about the elderly not getting ss checks

Old 09-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You have not answered me. Were the democrats playing politics in the debt ceiling debate when they said the elderly might not get their SS checks? If there is a 2.5 trillion dollar trust fund surely the elderly would have got SS checks. If you are correct and there is 25 trillion in assets why were the elderly in danger of not getting their checks during the debts ceiling debate?
You are mentally capable enough to navigate the internet and type. Surely you are mentally capable enough to understand this? I'll take one more swing at it:

SS assett: $2.5 trillion of US treasury bonds redeemable at any time

To pay a portion of the benefits SS must redeem some of its US treasury bonds.

To pay SS, US government must borrow.

If the US government can't borrow, it can't pay SS.

You might be thinking --- lololol, gotcha!!!!! There's no trust fund!!!!!

If that's what you think, you're a fool. You, I and everyone else who has ever paid payroll taxes has a stake in that $2.5 trillion dollar asset that some US politicians are trying to tell you is worthless so they don't have to pay up.

We all agree that the US debt needs to be balanced. They are trying to balance it by stealing the asset our payroll taxes have purchased.

Now are you following?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You are mentally capable enough to navigate the internet and type. Surely you are mentally capable enough to understand this? I'll take one more swing at it:

SS assett: $2.5 trillion of US treasury bonds redeemable at any time

To pay a portion of the benefits SS must redeem some of its US treasury bonds.

To pay SS, US government must borrow.

If the US government can't borrow, it can't pay SS.

You might be thinking --- lololol, gotcha!!!!! There's no trust fund!!!!!

If that's what you think, you're a fool. You, I and everyone else who has ever paid payroll taxes has a stake in that $2.5 trillion dollar asset that some US politicians are trying to tell you is worthless so they don't have to pay up.

We all agree that the US debt needs to be balanced. They are trying to balance it by stealing the asset our payroll taxes have purchased.

Now are you following?
So yoru saying that the govenrment can not use the SS trust fund to pay the elderly without borrowing ?
so where is the 2.5 trillion trust fun you claim?
Or our you saying that the 2.5 trillion really does not exist?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
So yoru saying that the govenrment can not use the SS trust fund to pay the elderly without borrowing ?
so where is the 2.5 trillion trust fun you claim?
Or our you saying that the 2.5 trillion really does not exist?
I can't tell if you're being willfully stupid or if the concept of money is just too abstract for you.

Do you, or have you, paid payroll taxes? Let's start with that. Have you?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I can't tell if you're being willfully stupid or if the concept of money is just too abstract for you.

Do you, or have you, paid payroll taxes? Let's start with that. Have you?
I see you cant asnwer and go to personal insults
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies