Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:26 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,629,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
In the article obama calls for extension of gas tax to fund highway construction, repair:

Obama Calls For Extension Of Gas Tax To Fund Highway Construction, Repair

He says on not extending the taxHow many times have we heard him say the same thing?

Everything to this guy that doesn't include spending more taxpayer money or increasing the size of government is:

2012 can't come soon enough...
Wasn't the stimulus designed to do the same thing? Oh yeah, shovel ready jobs don't exist. I guess they just didn't exist then, but they exist now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 PM

12,309 posts, read 9,800,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What?

Did you sleep through the 1980s when Reaganomics gave us 6.5 million private sector jobs, a ten point decline of the inflation rate, the misery index cut in half, a $2.50 inflation adjusted gallon of gas and the strongest US dollar in history?

Were you out of the country for the Contract with America?

Did you miss Bush's full employment?

FYI: the only industrialized nation with a marginal corporate tax rate higher than the US is Japan (see Lost Decade).

Do you realize the effective corporate tax rate in the US is lower than most industrialized nations because our marginal rate is so high internationals take extreme measures to avoid doing anything profitable in America?

US a low-tax country, and getting lower | Jay Bookman

The higher the marginal rates go, the lower the effective rate becomes, so how high would you like marginal rates to be?
Here we go again. Ok, let's see another show of hands.....Obama voters, did this one convince you?

I was wide awake though the 80s, thank you, but like most Americans was taken in and distracted by the Reagan wit and charm during the first term. Then, like many others who came to their senses and realized that they'd been had, I took a step back and clearly saw in about 1986 that this was the beginning of the end of the America I grew up in.

You still have plenty of company around to walk with you in blind devotion to the Reagan mystique. But as long as you do, you'll not begin to understand what really happened to America. For it was during the Reagan years that the real transfer of power from the people to big business got under way with a full head of steam.

Asleep? Sounds like you're still snoring.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,507,592 times
Quote:
So far the only thing obama has been consistent on for almost 3 years is blaming Bush and the Tea Party for all of his failures...
Well ain't that the truth, what a tradition ha. You know a good friend of mine who happens to be a democrat, said to me the other night, ever since this guy has been President, he is in Campaign mode always, the President never shuts the hek up. Luv it now, he is finally seeing the light. Yes most of the time he sounds like a screeching record.

Last edited by california-jewel; 09-01-2011 at 12:18 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,279,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
But at this point in time the Republicans have got next to nothing in the way of a clearly preferable alternative.

America is still dying on the vine....as in the rapid decay of our middle class standard of living. Republicans have a broken record of their own and it repeats tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy ad nauseum. They keep that up and Obama's re-election may not even be a close one.
Excuse me?

Republicans have had control of the House for how many months?

Now almost 3 years into the obama reign all we ever hear is the blame game pointing his finger at either Bush or the Tea Party on the demise of America.

For over two years the Democrats had total control of the government and where are we now?

Agree, as long as obama's administration allows more and more people on the government handout and illegal aliens into America he probably will get re-elected....

One does not bite the hand that feeds it.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Excuse me?

Republicans have had control of the House for how many months?

Now almost 3 years into the obama reign all we ever hear is the blame game pointing his finger at either Bush or the Tea Party on the demise of America.

For over two years the Democrats had total control of the government and where are we now?

Agree, as long as obama's administration allows more and more people on the government handout and illegal aliens into America he probably will get re-elected....

One does not bite the hand that feeds it.
Ya gotta look at the big picture here. How long who has had the House for how many months is completely irrelevant.

The big picture is that Big Business has destroyed what America used to be. And, as I've stated many times before, it is past time to take a fresh look at their very existence under law as they have NOT conducted themselves in accordance with American national interests for decades now. It was during the Reagan years that they jettisoned whatever remained of their morality and good American citizenship.

Obama is not responsible for this, nor is Bush, nor is Clinton, nor is even Reagan. Because, though the Reagan years were NOT good for average Americans, I believe Reagan was well intentioned. But he was naive in trusting that business would do the right thing for America if he "got government off their backs".

They didn't.

Big Business did this to America with unfair and immoral business and labor practices diametrically opposed to American interests. And there is absolutely nothing conservative about that. Though it is no single Republican's fault, the people know which party big business sleeps with 5 or 6 nights a week.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,403,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think there's a good chance of him losing, thank God. No matter what the partisan liberals in the media say, Obama is not as electable as they make him out to be and the polls will probably reflect that after the GOP primaries are over next year.

The social experiement is over. Time to put the adults back in charge.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,070,187 times
>Politician

>Broken record

STOP THE PRESSES

Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,132,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What?

Did you sleep through the 1980s when Reaganomics gave us 6.5 million private sector jobs, a ten point decline of the inflation rate, the misery index cut in half, a $2.50 inflation adjusted gallon of gas and the strongest US dollar in history?

Were you out of the country for the Contract with America?

Did you miss Bush's full employment?

FYI: the only industrialized nation with a marginal corporate tax rate higher than the US is Japan (see Lost Decade).

Do you realize the effective corporate tax rate in the US is lower than most industrialized nations because our marginal rate is so high internationals take extreme measures to avoid doing anything profitable in America?

US a low-tax country, and getting lower | Jay Bookman

The higher the marginal rates go, the lower the effective rate becomes, so how high would you like marginal rates to be?
Something sure worked during the R years although there was a set of dynamics at play.
How the global economy effected us was also diff.

Not an expert on economics but i dont see how we can compare the same set of circumstances to todays world.

It does seem to get a bit old to hear of the corporate welfare game going on and the special tax differences they get.
Please understand i get the thought of a company creating jobs and encouraging growth in a community but in the end its the common tax payer paying for the tifs not the corporations unless they are some how managing to drive taxes down in a certain area which in most cases they are not

Things were not exceptionally rosy during the end of the bush era for both of them h and w
and i think w rode the clinton wave for a while
there has to be a medium ground someplace

Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Something sure worked during the R years although there was a set of dynamics at play.
How the global economy effected us was also diff.

Not an expert on economics but i dont see how we can compare the same set of circumstances to todays world.

It does seem to get a bit old to hear of the corporate welfare game going on and the special tax differences they get.
Please understand i get the thought of a company creating jobs and encouraging growth in a community but in the end its the common tax payer paying for the tifs not the corporations unless they are some how managing to drive taxes down in a certain area which in most cases they are not

Things were not exceptionally rosy during the end of the bush era for both of them h and w
and i think w rode the clinton wave for a while
there has to be a medium ground someplace
What "worked" during the R years is that we built a lot of new restaurants and new retail and people went back to work in the new service economy making half of what they used to. That the Reagan years were good years for America is a myth. They were good for multi-national corporations and the wealthy.

Average Americans worked harder and more hours just to keep their heads above water AND they faced a new workplace tone where respect for individual workers and their rights went out the window. Case in point....that is when scorched-earth suspicion-less mass workplace drug-testing began....one of the most outrageous breeches of Constitutional principle in our country's history. And yet most who call themselves "conservatives" today march in lock step support of same.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:10 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,132,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What "worked" during the R years is that we built a lot of new restaurants and new retail and people went back to work in the new service economy making half of what they used to. That the Reagan years were good years for America is a myth. They were good for multi-national corporations and the wealthy.

Average Americans worked harder and more hours just to keep their heads above water AND they faced a new workplace tone where respect for individual workers and their rights went out the window. Case in point....that is when scorched-earth suspicion-less mass workplace drug-testing began....one of the most outrageous breeches of Constitutional principle in our country's history. And yet most who call themselves "conservatives" today march in lock step support of same.
Did not realize this was when the drug testing started
My understanding it was always due to the insurance industry

My understanding of the reagan years maybe tainted from what your describing

I was just coming into the workforce at the end of his admin , in fact i was going into the service at the time

looking back now - things seemed a heck of a lot better than they are at this point in the history of america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies