Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 06:27 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Yep...it really would have been better if people just let Hitler do his thing instead of starting a war to stop genocide.

/sarcasm

The ignorance in this thread is painful.
If America stayed out of WWI and it ended in a true draw, instead of giving France a chance for revenge at the "peace" talks, Hitler likely would have remained a nobody.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If America stayed out of WWI and it ended in a true draw, instead of giving France a chance for revenge at the "peace" talks, Hitler likely would have remained a nobody.
So you are willing to gamble that big with that many of other people's lives? I am not that cold of a person.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
If we seriously wanted to stop wars make every warmonger, no matter what their class or wealth, serve as a front line infantryman and every war profiteer supply the goods and services at or below cost as their patriotic duty. Add the physical risk (sterpetron - what war did you fight in?) and eliminate the profit and wars would be FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.

Using an army to avoid taxes (most US companies in South America) is just as moral as using the police to enforce church attendance. Both are sanctioned grand(est) theft and vile murder.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If we seriously wanted to stop wars make every warmonger, no matter what their class or wealth, serve as a front line infantryman and every war profiteer supply the goods and services at or below cost as their patriotic duty. Add the physical risk (sterpetron - what war did you fight in?) and eliminate the profit and wars would be FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.

Using an army to avoid taxes (most US companies in South America) is just as moral as using the police to enforce church attendance. Both are sanctioned grand(est) theft and vile murder.

I agree Greg. All them war mongers out there.... hey feel free go grab yer gun and join the rebels in Lybia, and Syria! I'm sure they would welcome you to help in their cause. Either that, or they'll kill you!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Most warmongers want to make money without direct participation in the dangerous parts of war.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:20 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you are willing to gamble that big with that many of other people's lives? I am not that cold of a person.
so you will sacrifice our soldiers now for what might be?

i am not that cold of a person.

let's face it, in libya there are cruel combatants on BOTH sides and america should have stayed the heck out of it. i am sure that americans are grateful that they will have less so that the atrocities in libya can continue and escalate.

for those too lazy to click the links, we have this:
Netanyahu’s cabinet asked Israeli company Global CST to bail out Colonel Khadafi’s friendly regime.

Egyptian sources have revealed that the Israeli company has so far provided Gaddafi’s regime with 50,000 African mercenaries to attack the civilian anti-government protesters in Libya. Gaddafi regime pays $2000 per day for each mercenary. The mercenaries receive $100 per day and the remaining goes to Global CST, the report says.

A former Nasser disciple, Colonel Khadafi has over recent years perfected the art of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds, at the risk of antagonizing both sides at the same time. He adopted a radical discourse against U.S. imperialism and Zionism, while often serving their interests, notably by eliminating on command some of their chief opponents (for example, the Iranian-Lebanese national Moussa Sadr or the Sudanese Abdel Khaleq Mahjoub). He never took any action against Israel and he officially mended fences with Washington in 2003.

Global CST managed Georgian troops during their aggression against South Ossetia, organized Ingrid Betancourt’s release from FARC captivity and trained Peruvian special forces against “Shining Path” guerrillas.

Meanwhile, the United States has demanded the UN Security Council (UNSC) to remove the provisions of charging mercenaries with war crimes in the killing of Libyan civilians.

The request is for the UNSC to word the resolution in a way that no one from an outside country that is not a member of the International Criminal Court could be prosecuted by the Court for their actions in Libya, which in addition to Israel would also include the United States.

Sources: Voltaire Network and PressTV - Israel provides henchmen for Gaddafi

is that what we want really? do we really need more enemies? do we really need to waste yet more money? can there even be a winner in this war, and who do we actually want to win? are all of these half-assed wars getting so convoluted that we can't even decide which side should win anymore?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:27 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
When was the last time Venezuela or Iran started a war, again?

Daily.

Just like Sadam was commiting Genocide on the Kurds (I dated a Kurdish Chick and have spent some time in Iraq)

THey commit atrocities on their people every day.

Or do you think that Genocide is OK as an alternative to war?

We may not have been able to STOP war... but getting the cost in human lives down as far as we have IS a godo step in that direction. (Note: I believe we should be PULLING OUT much faster... ie Iraq)

"War is a Racket" Smedley Butler, but at the same time you cannot allow evil to continue just to TRY to avoid war.

It takes 2 to make peace, and only 1 to make war.

Truely, Peace through Superior Firepower is the only lasting peace.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,918,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Daily.

Just like Sadam was commiting Genocide on the Kurds (I dated a Kurdish Chick and have spent some time in Iraq)

THey commit atrocities on their people every day.

Or do you think that Genocide is OK as an alternative to war?

We may not have been able to STOP war... but getting the cost in human lives down as far as we have IS a godo step in that direction. (Note: I believe we should be PULLING OUT much faster... ie Iraq)

"War is a Racket" Smedley Butler, but at the same time you cannot allow evil to continue just to TRY to avoid war.

It takes 2 to make peace, and only 1 to make war.

i too believe in peace through strength, but not through aggression. i think being a country that other countries aspire to (with a great standard of living) is much more effective to redirect behavior. we are voluntarily losing that great standard of living with all of the war spending that we are forced into now.

we have had blowback from CIA interventions for quite some time-with saddam being part of that blowback. who helped put saddam in power? (not saying that we were responsible for his decision to kill the kurds, but that perhaps he shouldn't have been backed in the first place).

just like we are going to have blowback from the economic decisions of the federal reserve choosing to voluntarily degrade our currency, we have blowback from military decisions. we have got to stop intervening in the territorial disputes of other countries. we wouldn't want another country interfering in our borders. (although we have to deal with that with mexico now-which doesn't seem to even recognize our borders.....)

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-26-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Once upon a time, superior firepower was a spear. Then a bow and arrow. Then...

Your firepower is superior to mine only until I develop something better. And this is how you propose peace? Unless, of course, you were trying your hand at satire--in which case you didn't quite get a passing grade.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 AM

Unfortunately having "superior firepower" can lead to bankruptcy and no firepower at all. We are firmly on this course and all suggestions of to change course are met with great opposition. So long as war is inevitable profits are guaranteed.

On a personal level I do not believe I have been made any safer or wealthier from our wars. I have just paid excess taxes and fuel prices for our efforts. No gains, just losses. Most of us are in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.