Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,868,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well I never treated an officer who has pulled me over for a traffic violatin with nothing but respect and I have NEVER received a warning. My wife has. Wonder if that had something to do with it??

Cops do have a tough job I'm not saying they don't. They are trained to deal with it though. It cost plenty of taxpayer money too. When they turn around and treat the folks who pay their training and salary as the enemy that is where we have a big problem.

How does it make em feel? How does it make a law abiding citizen feel when they're treated like a criminal for no reason? If you dare bring up your rights to them they get really upset. I had a cop try and force his way into my house when four cop cars showed up in my driveway on the 4th of July a few years ago howling about how we were shooting fireworks, which we weren't. He wanted to confiscate the said evidence. I told him he wasn't going anywhere in my house without a warrant and he looked like he wanted to punch me in the face. The ended up charging me with interfering with a police investigation or whatever nonsense they called it. These are the guys that need to be "policed" by their own but they all stood there and didn't raise a whimper as this guy got more and more irate. Then they go into my backyard to look for "evidence" to boot. Who should I call for trespassing when it's the cops who are doing it?

Of note while this whole fiasco was going on a cop from a nearby city who lives a block over was putting on a show that could be seen all over. I even pointed it out to em as it was going off over our heads. They said they would take a look if they had time later in the evening. Yeah.
this is why we have a court system in this country. so you can go through the courts or to the DA and file a complaint against bad cops. you can make them show you the evidence they supposedly have against you, and if they have none, then you will usually win the court case.

i am not against standing up for your rights, but there is a time and a place to fight, and you have to pick that time and place carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,024,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is why we have a court system in this country. so you can go through the courts or to the DA and file a complaint against bad cops. you can make them show you the evidence they supposedly have against you, and if they have none, then you will usually win the court case.

i am not against standing up for your rights, but there is a time and a place to fight, and you have to pick that time and place carefully.
I don't have the money to pay John Edwards to try and prove they violated my 4th amendment rights. Nice try. Actually the police Chief stole the tapes from the sherriff department of the "police chatter" that night because I wanted to see why they came to my house in the first place. So much for any evidence. They took em for a reason that's for sure. What I don't know. I think it had something to do with our neighbor whining about our dog barking all the time and her calling the police about that too. She just happens to be friends with the mayor. Who woulda thought. I did file theft charges against the police chief that were of course dropped. Nice to have friends in high places. All it would do is tick em off more so they could harass me and my family. They didn't even care they scared the sheet out of my three kids. But they are there to protect us.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,293,229 times
Quote:

This is just silly, The Mayor, the District Attorney, and the Police Force are all on the same side. They are not going to do anything because a black eye for the police is a black eye for everyone including the Mayor.
Just try to get a DA to file charges against a cop. The only way in hell that is going to happen is when they are backed into a corner and have no other choice.
That is the problem with the system; it is one giant conflict of interest.
The one thing that could help this situation is citizen review boards with the power to bring charges, but there again; no city in its right mind is going to give citizens that right.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I don't have the money to pay John Edwards to try and prove they violated my 4th amendment rights. Nice try. Actually the police Chief stole the tapes from the sherriff department of the "police chatter" that night because I wanted to see why they came to my house in the first place. So much for any evidence. They took em for a reason that's for sure. What I don't know. I think it had something to do with our neighbor whining about our dog barking all the time and her calling the police about that too. She just happens to be friends with the mayor. Who woulda thought. I did file theft charges against the police chief that were of course dropped. Nice to have friends in high places. All it would do is tick em off more so they could harass me and my family. They didn't even care they scared the sheet out of my three kids. But they are there to protect us.
then go tot he state police, the attorney general, the governor, or to the feds. there are always alternatives. people give up too easily these days.

oh and many attorneys work on commission basis so you dont have to pony $1000 or so to hire them.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:14 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
We often hear people say, it is the bad cops who give all the good ones a black eye.
The truth is there are no more good cops.
The reason for that is the Blue Code.
It is a code every cop abides by, and is the very definition of corruption.
It is the reason every cop feels secure in their actions regardless of how dastardly they may be.
They know their fellow officers will lie, commit perjury, falsify evidence, and do what ever it takes to cover up the wrong doings of their brother officers.
So long as this code exists, all officers are accomplices of the crimes their fellow officers commit.
It is little wonder cops are so afraid of the evidence a camera or a video camera represents. It is the one tool the public has to expose the lies and corruption that exist on such a grand scale in today’s police forces.
Until the Blue Code is eliminated, and cops are aggressively prosecuted for participating in the practice, no citizen is safe from the abuses of power we see daily in our cities.
The penalty for covering up the crimes of bad cops should be the same as the crime itself.
Until that day comes, there are no good cops.
There are good cops. Do they have a type of loyalty to each other and cover for each other also? I am sure there are those, no different that in any other business. Some do it because of pressure, threats, etc. Are any other businesses clean of having people breaking rules becuase the boss or peer exerting pressure? That sure does and the same can happen with cops.
Should they be held to a higher standard? I think so but to say there are no good cops is not correct. I venture to guess this will not change your mind but even by the Bell Curve principle any group has its extremes and there will be good cops, take care.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,024,433 times
Quote:
then go tot he state police, the attorney general, the governor, or to the feds. there are always alternatives. people give up too easily these days.

oh and many attorneys work on commission basis so you dont have to pony $1000 or so to hire them.
LOL. What attorney is gonna work a case like this pro bono? With no evidence other than my word against theirs? What damages can I claim? My kids were upset and the cops were aholes? All it would do is force me to move. There is a real world out there.

Sadly stupid crappola like this happens all the time.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,952,501 times
Quote:
We often hear people say, it is the bad cops who give all the good ones a black eye.
It is the reason every cop feels secure in their actions regardless of how dastardly they may be.
They know their fellow officers will lie, commit perjury, falsify evidence, and do what ever it takes to cover up the wrong doings of their brother officers.
So long as this code exists, all officers are accomplices of the crimes their fellow officers commit.
It is little wonder cops are so afraid of the evidence a camera or a video camera represents. It is the one tool the public has to expose the lies and corruption that exist on such a grand scale in today’s police forces.
Until the Blue Code is eliminated, and cops are aggressively prosecuted for participating in the practice, no citizen is safe from the abuses of power we see daily in our cities.
The penalty for covering up the crimes of bad cops should be the same as the crime itself.
I totally disagree. I personally know several excellent law enforcement officiers and not one of them would cover up another misdeeds, if fact one actually removed another from service due to a incident that occured on a call they both worked.
I would also add that some communities here now have their officiers wearing a camera mounted on their chest which is required to be turned on during any interactions with the public, this is as much for the police officers protection as it is for the public and they do work, count on seeing more of them being used nationwide as time goes by.
Never judge an entire group by the actions of a handfull of bad apples, after all they are just humans like the rest of us and occasionally bad things happen but they do far more good than can ever be over-ridden by the bad.
Casper

Old 08-26-2011, 12:05 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,293,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
There are good cops. Do they have a type of loyalty to each other and cover for each other also? I am sure there are those, no different that in any other business. Some do it because of pressure, threats, etc. Are any other businesses clean of having people breaking rules becuase the boss or peer exerting pressure? That sure does and the same can happen with cops.
Should they be held to a higher standard? I think so but to say there are no good cops is not correct. I venture to guess this will not change your mind but even by the Bell Curve principle any group has its extremes and there will be good cops, take care.

Your right, there are good cops, and that is what is sad, because they are victims also. They join the force believing they can make a difference and help people, just to find that the lines between the good guys and bad are often clouded.
They are placed in a position of accepting a system in which the conflicts of interest often outweigh the drive for justice.
As a result, police suffer the some worst rates of divorce, alcohol abuse, and suicide of all professions.
This thread was not about slamming cops, it was about illuminating the system that victimizes citizens and good cops alike.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:26 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,151,358 times
Quote:
Sorry, I know several good cops. Decent, hard-working, honest people. Love them to death. Your post = fail.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
LOL. What attorney is gonna work a case like this pro bono? With no evidence other than my word against theirs? What damages can I claim? My kids were upset and the cops were aholes? All it would do is force me to move. There is a real world out there.

Sadly stupid crappola like this happens all the time.
where did i suggest finding an attorney that works pro bono? i said attorneys will operate on commission, that means they get part of the settlement.

but you are right. rather than do anything about your issues, just let them happen and the n come here and complain about them. dont bother trying to take any action that might make things better. heaven forbid you should go to the press and let them know whats going on. heaven forbid you should do anything other than complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies