Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,879,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You can get a voice only line, with unlimited calls for 15 dollars a month cellular.

Its given away as advertisement costs.

When one poor family member has a free AT&T phone, then they know two people who will likely either stay, or switch to AT&T and have data.

That makes them money.

Voice is given away. I've worked in Cellular for a long time, voice is free.
The internal cost structures to the carrier are irrelevant. There are still administrative costs etc.

If AT&T is willing to give away free phones as an advertising method, why should the taxpayer pay AT&T to get free advertising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM

1,019 posts, read 592,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Nothing is free.
The definition of "free" is "somebody else pays for it."

Old 08-03-2011, 06:22 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,296,262 times
Somebody needs to tell the poster of the thread about "Modern Poverty in America includes A/C and an XBox" to add Cell Phone to that list...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,954,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
Anyone in PA get their new cell phone..?

What's next, new cars ..?

Free cell phones are now a civil right
Actually the poor can get free cars... used cars that is... there was some kind of government program to give cars so the poor can go to work...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,149,562 times
There's a lady who works for us and I guess her daughter doesn't have a phone. I hear all the time "I keep telling her to get one of those free phones from the gov't!" I just roll my eyes. My SIL gets every kind of welfare under the sun and gives her free phone to her teenage son to use. Again, I have to just roll my eyes.

I also don't believe that voice calls are free. Some people don't have smart phones still and just have a basic talk plan...like my grandparents. They still have to pay for their service. I don't see how it's such a big expense that the carrier is taking a loss for it, either.

A simple search on the Sprint website tells me that for 200 anytime minutes, it costs $30/mo plus taxes and fees. You can add messaging and data services after that but it's not required. How is that free? But how is the carrier taking a loss on that? I'm sure by now, the cost of building the network has already been paid for many times over, so any additional voice customers are just pure profit.

I see no reason the poor should get free phones. However, there are some non-profits that give out phones and basic service to single mothers, that I support (and it's done by a non-profit so it's not taxpayer money being used anyway).

Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,149,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Actually the poor can get free cars... used cars that is... there was some kind of government program to give cars so the poor can go to work...
Because taking the bus is so difficult.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,708,594 times
I can always predict what the new threads on here are going to be. I just watch Fox News, and then about an hour later .. voila.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,819,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You can get a voice only line, with unlimited calls for 15 dollars a month cellular.

Its given away as advertisement costs.

When one poor family member has a free AT&T phone, then they know two people who will likely either stay, or switch to AT&T and have data.

That makes them money.

Voice is given away. I've worked in Cellular for a long time, voice is free.

Fine, let AT&T carry the load. Nothing should come from tax payers.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,776,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I can always predict what the new threads on here are going to be. I just watch Fox News, and then about an hour later .. voila.
Actually, they run TV advertisements here (maybe they are public service announcements) about these "free phones" pretty regularly where I live. Gives a number to call, wh/ I always giggle about, since it hit me as incongruous that they are advertising to folks who supposedly can't make a call since they don't have a phone, lol.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:44 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,773,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
then give 'em a land line.

Wait.

Give 'em a land line to only call 911.

Give 'em NOTHING. Resurect payphones an put one at every bus stop or liquor store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies