Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
Anyone in PA get their new cell phone..?

What's next, new cars ..?

Free cell phones are now a civil right
Started under Bush btw...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Started under Bush btw...
Bush was an idiot... an idiot passing and equally idiotic law doesn't make it "smart"... as some here would think...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Let's give free cell phones to the poor so they can call their gang member family members to come kill people who tick them off when they are using public transportation.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I guess we're just more compassionate that a lot of Republicans posting in this thread and we see the intrinsic value of helping the less fortunate than us.
Oh goody! If it's not the racist card it's the empathy card.

What really ticks me off about this freebie crap is that I was once one of those really poor people. I lived in a tiny studio apartment, I had no cable, I had the absolute basic phone service, (in case something happened), I had no car, I had no furniture save my twin bed I had from growing up, I was hungry all the time and I couldn't afford to come and go to work 5 days of the week if one of those days I decided to purchase a pop for 55 cents from the vending machine.

I had served my country, I was a college student, I was working and I did not qualify for assistance in the way of food stamps, (I was, apparently, "too rich", for food stamps even though I was so f-en hungry I lost 30 pounds in a month...that is hungry, people), I took jobs that I could get to BY BUS because I sure didn't expect someone to GIVE me a car, I made local calls only on that phone, no long distance calls because I did not expect anyone to GIVE me free phone service, NO ONE paid my heating bills in the winter, no one paid for my bus pass, I EARNED the money to go to school as well as the GI Bill for serving my country, all expenses I paid, myself.

If there was a job available that was further away, I had two options:

Sit on the fricken bus for two hours, (after going to school and this also includes time standing at the bus stops, (usually more than one), waiting in all kinds of weather situations), or find a job that was closer.

So you'll have to excuse me if I don't care for your little empathy card. I WAS one of those people and I did NOT get a whole crap load of freebies. I worked my *$$ off to make something of myself.

I did not rely on taxpayers to pay my way through life.

I did not ask anyone to buy me a car, or a phone, or pay for my school, or "give" me a job. I earned everything I did and it was not easy.

I am not happy at all to be paying for some lazy pos to get a free car or a free phone. (And apparently this disclaimer needs to be put in here: We are NOT talking about the elderly or disabled...got it?!?!!?)

I worked hard, HARD to get where I am and have what I have and all those others should, as well. No, you are not entitled to a phone or a car or a house or free gas or whatever else it is these people think they are entitled to. You want it, you go and fricken earn it.

They can go to the store and buy a pay as you go phone, put down $25 on it that will last a fricken year so that potential employers can call them. They can take the bus.

It is NOT my duty or obligation to pay for someone elses way through life. I am happy to donate, give to charities that will help those people but

DO. NOT. FORCE. ME!

Oh and guess what, I lived through all of that and I STILL vote Republican.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Let's give free cell phones to the poor so they can call their gang member family members to come kill people who tick them off when they are using public transportation.
So you think that all poor people are related to gang members? What about the working poor?

::shakes head:: I wouldn't want to live in your world. It seems a sad and scary place.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
Anyone in PA get their new cell phone..?

What's next, new cars ..?

Free cell phones are now a civil right
Free rent, free food, free clothes, give it all to them....

Obama paid Jennifer Hudson $ 35,000 to have her sing to him...so enjoy his policies and more free for the poor and let the others pay fot it...

The poor will really need that cell phone, just so they know when to know when not to come home so they can avoid to be home when they come to check on them...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,545 times
My name is Harry...I am a crack cocaine addict...have been for 25 years. I now have a multi connective tissue disease, an auto immune disease...due to my crack addiction.

I now receive SSI, $1025.00 a month, I got it because I earned enough quarters in the last 10 years to qualify, now keep in mind, I have never worked 12 months in any one given year, not ever. At age 67, if I continued to work another 22 years, I would be entitled to $675.00 per month in SS.

I also get a free phone (which I use to call my dealer), free medical care,free scooter, free bus pass, and food stamps to boot.

I am rewarded because I am a crack addict, I love the working people in the US...thanks so much!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++

This is 100% the truth, I know this person and I am totally disgusted with the reward system in effect here in the USA.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
So you think that all poor people are related to gang members? What about the working poor?

::shakes head:: I wouldn't want to live in your world. It seems a sad and scary place.
You apparently know nothing of the woman who called her gang banging brother who brought his gang banging friends to shoot people on a bus because the sister was offended by a man who said he would report her to CPS for spanking her child. Maybe she had a free phone, maybe she didn't. The point is that a free phone could be used to incite violence as it was in this case.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Why would it be a federal one? Why must everything be handled by the federal gov't?

I'm getting really disgusted with the things the big gov't liberals expect us all to pay for.
Don't even get me started on the crap conservatives want us to pay for.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
My name is Harry...I am a crack cocaine addict...have been for 25 years. I now have a multi connective tissue disease, an auto immune disease...due to my crack addiction.

I now receive SSI, $1025.00 a month, I got it because I earned enough quarters in the last 10 years to qualify, now keep in mind, I have never worked 12 months in any one given year, not ever. At age 67, if I continued to work another 22 years, I would be entitled to $675.00 per month in SS.

I also get a free phone (which I use to call my dealer), free medical care,free scooter, free bus pass, and food stamps to boot.

I am rewarded because I am a crack addict, I love the working people in the US...thanks so much!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++

This is 100% the truth, I know this person and I am totally disgusted with the reward system in effect here in the USA.
If you know anything about SSI you know it's not that much. SSDI is about that much but you pay into SSDI. SSI, which you don't pay into, but which you only qualify for if you are disabled, doesn't go above $674.00/month. And if you work at all, they deduct that from your SSI. Pretty much for all of those except food stamps, you have to be disabled to qualify. Not only that but you can't have more than $2,000 in savings and if you make any amount of money at all, that gets cut out from your food stamps and deducted $1 for every $2 made from your SSI check after the first $60. Most places don't give you a free bus pass but rather, a reduced fare. All of that is not only based on being disabled but being financially eligible. If you are disabled but not financially able, you qualify for all the training, but not for having disability aids/adaptive technology paid for. If you do qualify financially, then you qualify for having disability aids/adaptive technology paid for. That said, you often have to go through a ton of hoops just to get something basic like a cane (I waited like 6 months once for one to come through social services) so it's often worth just paying the $25 yourself. For more expensive equipment like a power chair or a braille display, they make you jump through way more hoops and sometimes the process can take years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies