Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 08:52 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times

Advertisements

The Washington government told a Houston minister that he could not invoke the name of Jesus Christ in his prayer for our dead soldiers tomorrow at the regular ceremony. He has said those dirty words the past two years but was informed that he couldn't do it tomorrow. He is very happy but I bet there are many lefties in Washington who are not happy at all.

Pastor Wins Battle to Cite Jesus in Memorial Day Prayer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Quote:
Liberty Institute General Counsel Jeff Mateer did not know what prompted the government to step into the matter, adding he was told by another minister that the Memorial Day prayers have been going on for over 20 years with the mention of Jesus without incident. Why it occurred with likely remain a mystery as the government conceded the issue at a Friday hearing.
Oh, that's easy. Obama and his circle of radicals.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That group surely didn't want the word Jesus Christ to appear in that prayer and I think it may have been so Muslims wouldn't be unhappy.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,335,661 times
Religionism?

Religionist ruling?

Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Religionism?

Religionist ruling?
I wonder if the Supreme Court can be called upon to reverse this decision in time to shut up that minister? Somehow I doubt it.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,341,775 times
Quote:
Yup, and I think the lawyer hit the nail on the head when he said - “Secularists and separationists are trying to push an agenda that is telling government that you can’t have any religion in public.”

Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 AM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yup, and I think the lawyer hit the nail on the head when he said - “Secularists and separationists are trying to push an agenda that is telling government that you can’t have any religion in public.”
Which is really a shame since they have been entwined throughout our entire history.

They try to ignore that Sunday Services were held IN THE CAPITAL for, I think, 7 years with Jefferson and Adams attending regularly, among others.

The 10 Commandment are sculptured above the doors of the Supreme Court.

There are many inscriptions in the Washington monument.

"Endowed by Our Creator" ring a bell.

Etc., etc., etc.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,571 times
Quote:
Yes, because Obama and his inner circle wanted to get themselves personally involved in whether a minister could invoke Jesus Christ at a Memorial Day service in a cemetery in Houston.

I haven't been able to find the full decision yet, but this seems like the right call. A minister invoking Jesus at a Memorial Day service is nothing more than the purest free exercise of religion, and I don't see where there should be a problem here. Of course, this is Newsmax, so we're only getting one heavily biased side of the issue here.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,063,784 times
Roy, if you are so royally pissed at those who don't specifically mention your faith during a speech...just imagine the soldiers and family whose faiths are specifically excluded from the speech. These are the people who have risked, and in some cases given, their lives out there for the rest of us. The complaint was made by the Department of Veteran Affairs, the representative of those people who go out there and fight that are of many different faiths.

At least have at least a little respect for the people out there giving their lives for this country on Memorial day.

I think it's laughable that some people think the only real American is the protestant Christian American. Doubly so for the people who seem to want a Christian theocracy in the US.

Last edited by subsound; 05-30-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies