Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 AM

646 posts, read 394,961 times

Advertisements

I think we should keep only the DOD in place, and just start delegating all other responsibilities to the states. states could come up with their own retirement plans, finance roads, police, education, ect. we'd then have a choice of 50 different places to call home, and it would be much easier to institute a change at the state level. the federal government is out of control, drunk on power, and it's time for true change. it's time to scrap this worthless corporation we call the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,811,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
I think we should keep only the DOD in place, and just start delegating all other responsibilities to the states. states could come up with their own retirement plans, finance roads, police, education, ect. we'd then have a choice of 50 different places to call home, and it would be much easier to institute a change at the state level. the federal government is out of control, drunk on power, and it's time for true change. it's time to scrap this worthless corporation we call the federal government.
I would take the opposite. The Federal government should be powerful and strong and I would eliminate state governments if anything. Everything I can think of should either be done on a local level (county, city) or a national level. There really is not much use for state govenments. The United States cannot operate as 50 different nations. We are much too advanced and mobile for that anymore.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,364,894 times
I thought that was primarily how our government was supposed to be.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,081,705 times
Quote:
I disagree. We only need to force the Federal Government to stay within the parameters of which the Constitution limits same.

Our Constitution is the key, the answer and the only way in which we will be able to keep the America those of us old enough to remember have enjoyed.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,811,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
I disagree. We only need to force the Federal Government to stay within the parameters of which the Constitution limits same.

Our Constitution is the key, the answer and the only way in which we will be able to keep the America those of us old enough to remember have enjoyed.
Our Constitution was written over 200 years ago. It was written by Framers that drove to Philadelphia on horses from nearby states. People lived on farms back then and did not have TV, computers, cell phones, cars or even electricity. Things have changed since then.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,226,123 times
Quote:
the federal government is out of control, drunk on power, and it's time for true change. it's time to scrap this worthless corporation we call the federal government.
Ha, you want 50 little governments each covering its own slice of national costs, each making up its own laws, run by Wasilla-level small town city councilmen and -women? How funny

I take it you want to burn the Constitution, too. You'll probably get some argument there.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,320,667 times
Quote:
We've fought this battle before and it looks like we’ll fight it again. This battle was fought when the Constitution was written, and prior to the Civil War. The best way to preserve and enforce a legal system that maintains the legal, civil, and human rights for all Americans is with a strong federal system.

States rights have historically been used to deny people their civil, human and voting rights. At this stage of the game you are NOT going to get enough support to rewrite the entire Constitution. The federal government is not and should not hand over power to the states.

If you are not happy with the federal government then the thing to do is reform it.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,883,956 times
Quote:
So what happens, for example, if one state builds a dam upstream from a state that depends on that river for water, tourism, etc....? Have wars between the states to settle such disputes?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,241,486 times
Vote against every incumbent, every time, forever. That's the only way we can regain control of our government.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,025,017 times
Its ceertainly time to stop the federal runaway spending that endangers the economy ofr generation to come already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies