Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,999,365 times

Advertisements

"Could Johnathan Perkins suffer from some mental health issue that caused him to act in this way?"
Yes, it does appear he suffers from mental illness: it's called liberalism and its culture of perpetual victimhood and sense of entitlement.

A Law Student Plays the Race Card — and Gets Busted, Big Time

What progressives don't realize is that the more they "cry wolf" and create these phony racial hoaxes in order to blame white people/christians/tea party/palin for the world's problems, the more true victims of authentic racism will be ignored and dismissed and judged with skepticism.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:08 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,549,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
"Could Johnathan Perkins suffer from some mental health issue that caused him to act in this way?"
Yes, it does appear he suffers from mental illness: it's called liberalism and its culture of perpetual victimhood and sense of entitlement.

What progressives don't realize is that the more they "cry wolf" and create these phony racial hoaxes in order to blame white people/christians/tea party/palin for the world's problems, the more true victims of authentic racism will be ignored and dismissed and judged with skepticism.
The social progressives so wish it was 1966 so their race-based worldview could be relevant.

Racial progressive is bad for their agenda.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
And even then, they gave him a free pass to graduate even though he broke their "honor code".
Nice double standard system we have eh ?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:

You're mistaken.

If i'm ever a "true victim" of authentic racism, you can damn sure believe that it won't be ignored and dismissed. If nothing is done about it, then I'LL take care of it. But it will be dealt with despite any skepticism.

You're right. This incident is a bad deal and never should've happened. And the man should be dealt with harshly to the extent that it's possible.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And even then, they gave him a free pass to graduate even though he broke their "honor code".
Nice double standard system we have eh ?
I'm sure Jessie Jackson (Sr. & Jr.) as well as Al Sharpton are very proud of the culture they have had a hand in creating for the current generation. Sad, really.

Political correctness is a scourge upon society.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're mistaken.

If i'm ever a "true victim" of authentic racism, you can damn sure believe that it won't be ignored and dismissed. If nothing is done about it, then I'LL take care of it. But it will be dealt with despite any skepticism.

You're right. This incident is a bad deal and never should've happened. And the man should be dealt with harshly to the extent that it's possible.
Nothing was done and he got to graduate. But he sure did a number on his peers. They may now always view cries of racism with a questioning of it's validity.

Cry "wolf" enough times and people stop believing that there may be a wolf and soon don't believe the cries anymore.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:31 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,422 times
Quote:
Unless you have access to information that's supposed to be confidential at this point, I'm not sure how you know this. The Dean issued a statement about this.

Quote:
At the end of last week, a student at the Law School admitted that a letter he published in the student newspaper was untrue. My office has received inquiries about the application of the University of Virginia’s Honor System to this incident.

The Honor System is student-run and confidential, and of course includes procedural protections for the accused. There will be no public statement of the existence of an Honor investigation (or any other disciplinary proceeding) unless the subject of the investigation chooses to make one. In the event that an Honor proceeding or other disciplinary action is unresolved at the time of graduation, the subject is typically permitted to participate in the ceremony but does not actually receive a degree pending the outcome of the proceeding.

The University and the Law School are committed to maintaining a community of trust and take violations of that trust with utmost seriousness. We also take seriously the procedural safeguards afforded every student accused of an offense.
Read into that what you want, but I don't see where the UVA has already made a decision one way or the other. That being said, Perkins' act here is abhorrent, and even if he is allowed to graduate, he has almost certainly tarnished his reputation in the legal community. If he has a job lined up, he will be on an extremely short leash. If not, it's hard to picture any firm that would want to hire him.

Quote:
Nothing was done and he got to graduate.
Are you posting from the future? UVA's law school graduation isn't until the 22nd. I think there's some irony that in a thread about somebody making gross misrepresentations you yourself are making gross misrepresentations (either through intent or ignorance) with each post.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Unless you have access to information that's supposed to be confidential at this point, I'm not sure how you know this. The Dean issued a statement about this.

Read into that what you want, but I don't see where the UVA has already made a decision one way or the other. That being said, Perkins' act here is abhorrent, and even if he is allowed to graduate, he has almost certainly tarnished his reputation in the legal community. If he has a job lined up, he will be on an extremely short leash. If not, it's hard to picture any firm that would want to hire him.

Are you posting from the future? UVA's law school graduation isn't until the 22nd. I think there's some irony that in a thread about somebody making gross misrepresentations you yourself are making gross misrepresentations (either through intent or ignorance) with each post.
Did you read that the University will not be pressing charges ?
They don't want to inhibit any future reports of racism.
And the article did say he had a job lined up with a firm after graduation.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:47 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,404,422 times
Quote:
Did you read that the University will not be pressing charges ?
They don't want to inhibit any future reports of racism.
And the article did say he had a job lined up with a firm after graduation.
You may claim you've read the article, but you've clearly not understood it. UVA stated that they will not be pressing criminal charges. That doesn't mean that Perkins won't be facing expulsion for his violation of the school's Honor Code, given Perkins' total lack thereof. There's a huge difference between the two.

Yes, Perkins may have a job lined up - the article said that "word on the street" was that he had a job lined up, not that it was certain.

In law schools, especially top law schools like UVA, students tend to interview for firms at the beginning of their second year. After working at the firm during the summer, they'll often get an offer to come back and work there after they graduate. It is entirely possible, and maybe even likely, that if Perkins does have a job lined up, that it's been lined up for him for almost a year.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,035,308 times
Quote:

First, I'm a little upset that your link doesn't go to a video. It requires me to read. I'd prefer to see a 40 second news video on it rather than take the time to read something. Personally, I think a lot of folks will elect not to read long articles or, for that matter, long posts. That's why I always try to keep my posts short. If I can, I try to make them look like a Tweet, you know, a post on Twitter. Not that I know much about Twitter, mind you. I have an account but believe it or not, the charaacters limit bothers me. What is it, 140? Now as concise as I am, 140 is often not enough. The whole "Tweet" thing kind of bugs me. It sounds kind of gay, if you ask me. Not that there's anything against gayness. Hey, I'm a guy who in this very forum has expressed my support of gay marriage.

Anyhow, where was I? How should I know... why are you asking me!? Okay, hang on. I got it.

I think you're kind of right about this "cry wolf" theory. But I think you would have come across with more impact had you not mentioned Christians, the Tea Party, and so forth. I mean, you're clearly partisan. But then, who isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies