Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,815,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
WRONG. In England for example, Blacks are also overrepresented in the prison population compared to their share of the general population.
More black people jailed in England and Wales proportionally than in US | Society | The Guardian

Even in Europe, Blacks are not a model minority.
Fascinating. I could also point out that in Europe, whites are far from being a model majority.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,389,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
2% of population is black. 6% of the prison population is black.
And judging from this article they have the same probelm that is prevalent here in this country.

A Northern Taboo: Research On Race, Crime, And Criminal Justice

Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM

99 posts, read 124,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You are HOT!!!!!!!
But you can't be the epitome of MALE Masculinity

Ps. I still think you are hot

You are awesome simetime

I'm sure I'm not the epitome of MALE masculinity, probably not the epitome of anything.... except maybe SARCASM

You're great (and I wasn't being sarcastic )

Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 PM

717 posts, read 905,770 times
I wouldn't necessarily say that black men are all around better athletes, but we definitely add more style to it than anyone. We make sports pretty to watch. Movement itself is an art for black folks. From sports to dancing, we know how to make what we're doing look good.

Keep in mine that just because there are some sports not popular with blacks, that doesn't mean we aren't good at them. The only sport I can't see black folk excelling in is swimming.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,815,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that black men are all around better athletes, but we definitely add more style to it than anyone. We make sports pretty to watch. Movement itself is an art for black folks. From sports to dancing, we know how to make what we're doing look good.

Keep in mine that just because there are some sports not popular with blacks, that doesn't mean we aren't good at them. The only sport I can't see black folk excelling in is swimming.
There have been three black Olympic medalists in swimming. If more black people participated, there would be more medalists.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:38 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,343,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Many NHL players come from collages.
Actually it's a combination of junior hockey and colleges. It's a pretty even mix.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Oh please...........what a load of crap..........black athletes are some of the laziest athletes around. It's their natural raw talent and skill that usually get them where they are not their work ethic. ALL professional athletes work hard. Black athletes definitely don't have the monopoly on working hard in professional sports. You win the award for stupidest post of the day! Congratulations!
And you when the award for the post with the most generic racial stereotypes of the day.

Congrratuations!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Take a look at the Red Wings...(GO Wings!!!)

Then look at the population of Detroit.
Ironically one of the Black players in the NHL, Mike Grier is from DETROIT

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Mike_Grier.jpg/619px-Mike_Grier.jpg (broken link)

Mike Grier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Michael James Grier (born January 5, 1975 in Detroit, Michigan) is a professional ice hockey forward who currently plays for the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League (NHL). He has also played professionally for the Edmonton Oilers, Washington Capitals, and San Jose Sharks. With the 1996–97 season, Grier became the NHL's first African-American player born and trained in the United States.[1]
How many pro hockey players can you name from New York, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Denver or any other large city? Not many. Traditionally hockey is a sport played in rural and suburban areas of the upper Midwest and Canada. That's where the game is most popular, that is where kids grow up playing hockey at an early age and frankly that's where the best hockey is played at the youth and college level.

The real deal is places where hockey is played the most are going to have the best hockey players. It's really no different than kids in urban neighborhoods that play basketball or suburban kids in California that play baseball damn near all year around. In these areas the games played are not only games but part of the social structure in terms of how kids play.

For any sport I don't care what it is to go a part of the world where it's played a lot and by kids at a very young age and the game is not only played it's a part of the social culture in terms of how people play and if you have enough people playing that sport you are going to get world class players. It's why Europeans tend to dominate skiing, and bobsledding. It's why some of the best badminton players on the world are from Asia. It's why New Zealand has on of the best rubgy squads in the world, and it's why teams from Argentina, Brazil and Spain traditionally do well in international soccer competition.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 05-13-2011 at 07:15 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
albert pujols?

but seriously, one black player, gary sheffield, has said that some manager and GM's actually prefere the latinos b/c they don't "talk back".

there has been discussion that there aren't that many blacks in baseball anymore and why that is. Mostly b/c of the latino talent from the carribean and panama and venezuela.
Another reason is that most Black American kids in urban areas just don't start playing the game at a young age anymore. Part of it is lack of adequate facilities compared to suburban and ruaral areas and part of it what I call the Michael Jordan effect. The decline in young Black kids playing baseball started in 1970's. By the mid to late 1980's when Michael Jordan reach stardom in the NBA he wasn't just a basketball player he was a cultural icon for urban Black Amercan kids. Baseball probably hasn't had a player that affected Black American kids like that since Willie Mays.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You tell me, I asked the question. Some people are quick to point out the prison population, fatherless children, lack of education ect..... are traits that the blackmen excel in, but no one can explain why this does not occur as much in other countries such as Canada.
Did Cananda ever have slavery?

Did Canada every have segregation? And how long did it last?

Did Black Canadians ever get lynched on a large scale?

Where Candaians every denied access to colleges solely based on race?

Is there a history of White Canadians denying Black Canadians housing, jobs, basic education, and access to financial capital simply because they were black?

Were Black Candadians ever denied the right to vote.

Were their organizations like the Klu Klux Klan that burned, bombed or murdered Black Candadians to intimidate them when they tried to stand up for their rights?

Do White Canadians have the same history of outright hatred of Black Canadians in some areas of the country that White Americans have toward Black Americans.

How strong are groups like the Aryan Nation, the Nazi Party, Council of Conservative Citizens, White Revolution and Stormfront compared to the United States?

What is ever illegal for a Black Canadian to marry a White Canadian?

Different history makes for a different society.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 05-13-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.