Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,420,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Most of us who "grew up in that era" have found that there were mistakes made on both sides involved. Most of us can lucidly recall the sentiment of the times, both parties involved, and the events as they unfolded. The results were tragic, but in retrospaect nothing beyond reasonable expectations.

To claim that the protestors were "unarmed" is tell only part of the story. Those who make such statements casually forget the rioting and damage to local businesses, the arson of a building on campus, nor the treatment of police and fire officials who were trying to extinguish the fire. Painting the protestors as totally innocent is far from truthful.

People who are drawn by the mob mentality of the moment certainly should have realized that the National Guard was not sent there to sit on their hands. Any reasonably intelligent individual would not be part of a rowdy, rock-throwing crowd only a short distance from armed National Guardsmen.

A nation we can learn from its mistakes, make the appropriate changes, and move forward. We can't change the past. Get over it and move on.
Were you there?
The ROTC building was going to be torn down.
Try learning about what really happened yourself.
There's a lot of information out there.

A small amount of property damage doesn't equal a reason to murder people on a campus.
The death of 55,000 service people and numerous Vietnames, Cambodians, Laotians needed to be protested.

No one from the US can complain about how terrible it is for protesters in other countries meeting violence when they dismiss the same in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,235,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
When did any of those actions become capital offenses, sentence to be carried out without benefit of trial? BTW, at least one of those killed was doing nothing but going to class. I suppose you'll casually lay that off to collateral damage.
Rioting, looting, arson, destruction of public property, and assault on public law enforcement are all offenses that could require the use of deadly force. Additionally, there was an investigation of the incidents surrounding the shootings as well as the shootings themselves. Apparently you didn't get the memo, but no one was charged with a capital offense. Both sides were found equally at fault.

As far as the "collateral" damage you chose to highlight, ......accidents happen. That's part of everyday living,....or dying.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM

68,428 posts, read 54,881,430 times
Quote:
Rioting, looting, arson, destruction of public property, and assault on public law enforcement are all offenses that could require the use of deadly force. Additionally, there was an investigation of the incidents surrounding the shootings as well as the shootings themselves. Apparently you didn't get the memo, but no one was charged with a capital offense. Both sides were found equally at fault.

As far as the "collateral" damage you chose to highlight, ......accidents happen. That's part of everyday living,....or dying.
Unless you can point out in the criminal code where any of your named crimes justify deadly force I can use only one word to describe your opinions_________________BULLSH*T!

And your 'accidents happen' is just more BS.

I hope you're childless, I'd hate to see children being raised by someone so accepting of that kind of alleged accident.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 AM

857 posts, read 2,012,396 times
Quote:
Rioting, looting, arson, destruction of public property, and assault on public law enforcement are all offenses that could require the use of deadly force.
Mind-blowing!

Please, move to Afghanistan or North Korea, you'd be much happier there...

Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Were you there?
The ROTC building was going to be torn down.
Try learning about what really happened yourself.
There's a lot of information out there.

A small amount of property damage doesn't equal a reason to murder people on a campus.
The death of 55,000 service people and numerous Vietnames, Cambodians, Laotians needed to be protested.

No one from the US can complain about how terrible it is for protesters in other countries meeting violence when they dismiss the same in the US.
Nope,...wasn't there. Not necessary to discuss the topic.

Had I been there, you can rest assured that I wouldn't be facing armed National Guardsmen, throwing rocks at firemen/policemen, cutting fire hoses, setting buildings ablaze, rioting, breaking windows downtown, or taking part in other lawless activities.

Apparently some think that an individual can stick his arm inside a sack of rattlesnakes and not get bitten. Stupidity and mob mentality do not mix.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,333,667 times
I agree you never want to mess with arm civilians that are in military unifrom and especailly drive them to backoff to a no way out postion. Its very dangerous to do so.Its called puching buttons and people get killed like that still.The ole he'she would shoot thaty gun is a mistaken belief if pushed enough.Its happened thru out history.

Quote:
Nope,...wasn't there. Not necessary to discuss the topic.

Had I been there, you can rest assured that I wouldn't be facing armed National Guardsmen, throwing rocks at firemen/policemen, cutting fire hoses, setting buildings ablaze, rioting, breaking windows downtown, or taking part in other lawless activities.

Apparently some think that an individual can stick his arm inside a sack of rattlesnakes and not get bitten. Stupidity and mob mentality do not mix.
And BEYOND mere stupidity, well beyond asinine, more in line with the regimes of Syria and Libya, some believe in America that "throwing rocks at firemen/policemen, cutting fire hoses, setting buildings ablaze, rioting, breaking windows downtown" warrant execution without a trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
Mind-blowing!

Please, move to Afghanistan or North Korea, you'd be much happier there...
Perfectly happy where I live.

You might be well advised to know that many states allow the use of deadly force to protect ones life and property.

I gave your comments the nanosecond of consideration they deserved.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I agree you never want to mess with arm civilians that are in military unifrom and especailly drive them to backoff to a no way out postion. Its very dangerous to do so.Its called puching buttons and people get killed like that still.The ole he'she would shoot thaty gun is a mistaken belief if pushed enough.Its happened thru out history.
Armed civilians? The uniforms say they weren't. And happening through out history doesn't make something right.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Perfectly happy where I live.

You might be well advised to know that many states allow the use of deadly force to protect ones life and property.

I gave your comments the nanosecond of consideration they deserved.
Do you have knowledge of exactly what the law in 1970 Ohio was or just blowing more smoke out your butt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies