Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm 0 for 3 as well.

I certainly support what we did.

I don't think this is a cause for celebration. I think it's time to pause, reflect on those who were lost on 9/11 and in the subsequent wars, and, perhaps, reevaluate what we want to do in the future. Does this perpetual war make sense? Does it undermine who we are as a people?

I never felt any jubilation-- or need to publicly celebrate, or even publicly acknowledge my patriotism. I found the whole thing sobering, if anything.
I wish I had written this post. It expresses exactly what I feel.... And I'm 0 for 3 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,311,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Since Bin Laden's murder, did you shout "U.S.A."?

Since Bin Laden's murder, have you sung the American national anthem?

I'm 0 for 3 with these questions and I cant help feel some separation from Americans even though I'm an American who supports the US in attacking Bin Laden.
1st Question: Not yet. Actually, I need to buy a new one.
2nd Question: No, but I was very gleeful. For 10 years I've had horrid thought of torturing the man myself!
3rd Question: No. I don't sing. May sing the anthem with a crowd of people who are singing it.

Can't help wondering why you'd feel separated! Any idea why???

Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,950,972 times
Yes to flag. No to the others.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
No ;its not a flag day. The local veterans who flag them at business are not either.I will flag my flag when appropriate.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,860,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No ;its not a flag day. The local veterans who flag them at business are not either.I will flag my flag when appropriate.
It's always appropriate to fly the American flag when done properly. If the sun is shining my flag is flying and it has nothing to do with some dead terrorist.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,255,142 times

YouTube - "USA" Chant on NYC Subway FAIL

Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,333,435 times
Never fly the flag

Didn't sing the anthem

Didn't celebrate

Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,704,719 times
I did none of those things. As for the flag, I understand that there are certain protocols that must be followed when displaying a flag. Taking it down at certain times, illuminating it at night or during the rain, etc. I don't see myself doing any of those things and I don't want to be the guy with the tattered flag left outside for the past 10 years.

On a similar thread, I was embarrassed by the footage that news outlets were carrying from the celebrations in and around Time Square and Ground Zero. A few videos show a camera panning across the crowd, showing thousands of celebrating Americans. However, there was only a handful of flags being waved and most of them were of the $1 plastic variety that are about 9 inches long.

Even worse, what are these people doing? They all have their cell phones out taking pictures and videos of each other... waiting for a spectacle, not realizing that they were the spectacle. But here we are being broadcast to the world, thousands of people merely capturing the video of other people capturing video while a few people sing the national anthem and wave around a couple of tiny flags.

Have you seen footage of other nations celebrating historic events? They put us to shame.

Have you seen people in other nations celebrate? It is raucous.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:14 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,127,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Since Bin Laden's murder, did you shout "U.S.A."?

Since Bin Laden's murder, have you sung the American national anthem?

I'm 0 for 3 with these questions and I cant help feel some separation from Americans even though I'm an American who supports the US in attacking Bin Laden.

0 for 3.

I don't own a flag.

I didn't shout U.S.A., but I shouted Go Seals!

And I didn't spontaneously burst out in song.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,501,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
0 for 3.

I don't own a flag.

I didn't shout U.S.A., but I shouted Go Seals!

And I didn't spontaneously burst out in song.
I have a flag--it is hanging on my mail box.

I shouted and cheered and almost cried--overwhelming sense of relief and some hope.

I have listened to many songs that are meaningful to me and will continue.

~~
It is also of no concern to me what anyone else is doing or why.

I endeavor to relate to others with respect for the differences.

I do not 'hate' those who don't share my beliefs on every possible issue. We might not become the closest of 'friends' or maybe we would --if we had similar careers or interests. I don't know a lot about the people in my neighborhood---it is a wonderful way to live--very different from the pathetic films and TV shows that focus on all that is problematic in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies