Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 03:57 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,807,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Once you resort to name calling, you've lost your argument.
Then I guess you lost your argument when you called gays a biological mistake. That's far more insulting than bigot. And technically I called your opinion bigoted, not you, so it isn't really name calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:08 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,894,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Then I guess you lost your argument when you called gays a biological mistake. That's far more insulting than bigot. And technically I called your opinion bigoted, not you, so it isn't really name calling.
No, I never said human beings were a mistake. Go back and read again.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
You seem to be doing a lot of backtracking on this subject...either that or you should learn to articulate your opinions so that you don't have to backtrack.
No, I am not backtracking at all. I have not retracted one single thing I've said.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,807,875 times
Quote:
No, I never said human beings were a mistake. Go back and read again.
Homosexuality is an integral part of a homosexual. Calling one a mistake correlates to the other being a mistake too.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,840,245 times
Quote:
No, I am not backtracking at all. I have not retracted one single thing I've said.
You stated that homosexuality is a mistake. The implication is that there is choice in the matter. However, we know that there is no choice in the matter. Mistake also has a negative connotation. Making homosexuality a negative. Thus, what occurs is bigotry. You feel that you've made a superior "choice" regarding your sexuality. This is far from the truth since you made no decision. There was NEVER a point in time where you said I will be a heterosexual.

You may not HAVE retracted anything you've stated, but maybe you should.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,357,160 times
Quote:
Homosexuality is a mistake. Human beings who are homosexual are not mistakes. I know for some, that may be a distinction they cannot comprehend -- that is, the distinction between humans and conditions -- but it's valid.

Maybe I can get some activism going to declare my arthritis "normal" and not a joint disease.
Or is it possible that homosexuality is evolutionarily beneficial?

Perhaps males that did not compete for females but still contributed to the survival of human genes (through hunting (anticipates knuckle-dragging joke) or picking berries) were beneficial to the species.

Not every ant contributes genetic material, but they are still a quite successful species.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
You stated that homosexuality is a mistake. The implication is that there is choice in the matter. However, we know that there is no choice in the matter. Mistake also has a negative connotation. Making homosexuality a negative. Thus, what occurs is bigotry. You feel that you've made a superior "choice" regarding your sexuality. This is far from the truth since you made no decision. There was NEVER a point in time where you said I will be a heterosexual.

You may not HAVE retracted anything you've stated, but maybe you should.
No, there is no such implication. I have stated my belief that homosexual desire is not a choice. If you had bothered to read my posts, you would have seen that I made that clear.

Rather, as I have also made excruciatingly clear, homosexuality is a condition that is not normal -- a part of the brain or the endocrine system or what have you, that did not develop properly. JUST AS some people have diabetes, asthma, etc. These things are deviations from normal physiology.

Instead of reading my posts and responding thoughtfully to my comments, you chose to go right to name calling.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Homosexuality is an integral part of a homosexual. Calling one a mistake correlates to the other being a mistake too.
No, it doesn't mean that at all. And what have you been telling heterosexuals for decades? That your sexual orientation is just a PART of who you are, not the whole. I happen to believe that. It's a part of you, and that part of you didn't develop properly. The rest of you may be perfectly fine.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,067,110 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't mean that at all. And what have you been telling heterosexuals for decades? That your sexual orientation is just a PART of who you are, not the whole. I happen to believe that. It's a part of you, and that part of you didn't develop properly. The rest of you may be perfectly fine.
Speaking only for myself I will say that all of me developed properly...and it developed "perfectly fine".

I am perfectly happy being homosexual and would not trade it for anything...

Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,840,245 times
Quote:
No, there is no such implication. I have stated my belief that homosexual desire is not a choice. If you had bothered to read my posts, you would have seen that I made that clear.

Rather, as I have also made excruciatingly clear, homosexuality is a condition that is not normal -- a part of the brain or the endocrine system or what have you, that did not develop properly. JUST AS some people have diabetes, asthma, etc. These things are deviations from normal physiology.

Instead of reading my posts and responding thoughtfully to my comments, you chose to go right to name calling.
A mistake is something that is not done in the correct manner. Thus, according to you, HOMOSEXUALITY is not done in the correct manner.

It has nothing to do with the endocrine system not being "developed properly", as it were. There is a spectrum of "developed properly" homosexuality lies within that spectrum.

It's not a physiological abnormality like asthma. We are learning that sexuality, like many other things, lie on a spectrum. Where you fall on that spectrum is due primarily to genetic factors and conditions in the womb.

Again, your comments show a lack of knowledge.

Homosexuality is not a disease. There are many studies that have shown why homosexuality exists. One possibility is the martyr theory. Feminizing male fetuses enables mothers to have more children decreasing the possibility of death during birth. Also, their sisters are more fertile.

So if it were like asthma or diabetes we would not see any benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies