Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times

Advertisements

When I see people who make a lot of money doing real work that helps society, I am happy for them.

When I see greedy, pompous people make a lot of money off scamming others, financial trickery, and not pulling their equal weight in society while pulling in the dough, I think they do not deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
Over the last 20 or so years in this country we seem to have adopted the belief that everyone should get a trophy - everyone deserves a trophy. We have moved away from the notion of equality of opportunity and embraced the notion of equality of outcome. These new beliefs manifest themselves as you describe.

If my neighbor has a high paying job, then I want a high paying job. I deserve a high paying job. It's not fair if we're not equal, right?

If his kid plays first string, then my kid should play first string. My kid deserves to play first string. It's not fair if it's not equal!

If his family can afford first-rate health insurance, then my family should have first-rate health insurance. We deserve deserve first-rate health insurance. If it's not equal it's not fair!

I don't know how to fix it, but I think this is part of the problem. My 2 cents.
You forgot something. It is not only "We deserve it too if they have it", but also, "They should buy ours as well as their own, because they have more." And it won't be fair until everyone is poor.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
You forgot something. It is not only "We deserve it too if they have it", but also, "They should buy ours as well as their own, because they have more." And it won't be fair until everyone is poor.
So only those that can afford to have a good education and healthcare should be the only ones able to have it or else we all should be poor? There are a few gaps there...

Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM

561 posts, read 505,911 times
Default You Tell Me . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What percentage of military personnel fighting the wars are millionaires?
I have no idea. What's the answer?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
I have no idea. What's the answer?
Well, there WAS this one football player . . but he got shot by his own men.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:50 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I try to be as appreciative as I can for what I have in life. Even with a low income (under $25k), I can pay the bills and support my family and have fun and am happy. The longer I live though, the more I notice people, most of whom make more than I, seem to be bothered by the better-off people of our society, saying things like "why are they making so much" or "they really have it made", etc. I have thought these things before but as a way of thinking how I could get there, not as an envious thought. Are people getting less appreciative or am I just finding myself more and more surronded my whinny, jealous people?

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
They're jealous a lot of the time. I hold no hatred in my heart for the people who bust their butts off, play by the rules, and profit from their honest effort, no matter what profession they choose. I'm working to get myself to that point some day.

What I can't stand is the corporate hucksters and financial swindlers who come across millions, if not billions illicitly. I hate those people. The people who drove our economy off a cliff and their government partners in crime should be sitting in a prison.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Envy ;pure and simple.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:53 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I try to be as appreciative as I can for what I have in life. Even with a low income (under $25k), I can pay the bills and support my family and have fun and am happy. The longer I live though, the more I notice people, most of whom make more than I, seem to be bothered by the better-off people of our society, saying things like "why are they making so much" or "they really have it made", etc. I have thought these things before but as a way of thinking how I could get there, not as an envious thought. Are people getting less appreciative or am I just finding myself more and more surronded my whinny, jealous people?

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Absolutely people are jealous. Why do you think everyone is complaining about public employee's? The guise is economics. The facts are: People are mad and jealous they arent getting the samething. No one cared 10 Yrs ago, when they had money rolling in. Now, it's why do THEY get something I don't? Total jealousy.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM

561 posts, read 505,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
So only those that can afford to have a good education and healthcare should be the only ones able to have it or else we all should be poor? There are a few gaps there...
We can't seem to agree on healthcare, so lets try education . . .

Many magazines publish an annual list of "The Best Colleges in America." Many of the same schools appear on the list year after year. You know who they are.

Does everyone have a right to attend one of these schools?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:00 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
And the fact you can't afford healthcare or education is my problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies