Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM

694 posts, read 750,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What percentage of military personnel fighting the wars are millionaires?
The military is voluntary. Even when we do draft people, there is an age limit of 42 or so, which is my age btw. Since MOST millionaires are not born that way, they tend to be older when the gain - not steal - their wealth and would be too old for the military anyway.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 AM

68,430 posts, read 54,895,095 times
I'm not bothered by well-off people, I'm bothered by people who believe a stack of dirty paper determines their worth as a human being. If wealth somehow means you're a wonderful human being then Saddam Hussein was surely one of the best

Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I have my daughter in a private preschool, for which we willingly pay $20,000 per year. She's not yet 5 years old. Our choice and no complaint about it. Yet I'm still paying the taxes that enable other children to attend school for free while we do not gain any benefit. I also spend time teaching her to read, do math, and play piano. For that, I expect her to have a "better" education and a "better" outcome.

You may choose to send your child to a public school at no additional cost to you. You may plant her in front of the TV watching cartoons all day while you have free time to enjoy other pursuits. Should the outcome be the same?

You're free to get a better job, make more money, and have more choices.

I'm not a CEO.
That is a great and accurate post!

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,594,740 times
Why does the poor DESERVE healthcare? Are they special? The poor are just like anyone else and should be required to pay for healthcare, education and food.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm not bothered by well-off people, I'm bothered by people who believe a stack of dirty paper determines their worth as a human being. If wealth somehow means you're a wonderful human being then Saddam Hussein was surely on of the best
Surely there rich who are like that, but there are also poor like that, ones at both ends and in the middle who think they are all that or that they are above this or that. This situation attests to their view of humanity, not to their income. An ass is an ass whether he/she has $1 or $1,000,000.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Why does the poor DESERVE healthcare? Are they special? The poor are just like anyone else and should be required to pay for healthcare, education and food.
They should IF they can. I am mostly conservative, but I am not a dick. If I am shot on the street and I don't have insurance - how you would know this, I don't know - I should just die? This is an extreme example, but you get the idea.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,529,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Maybe because many of us work for them?

I work part-time for Company X. The head of Company X has given me a lousy 3% raise in five years. Meanwhile CEO Slimeball has lost contracts left and right and been sued for incompetence. He's also increased his own pay by a fifth to over a million a year.

Most Americans have seen their wages remain flat and even fall relative to inflation while prices for items like food, shelter and college tuition have increased hugely. In the meantime pay rates for the very top percentiles have soared.

Many of us are sick of it. I personally resent paying 33% on my income while the hedge fund manager pays a mere 15% on an income orders of magnitude greater.

Why is that so hard to understand? Treat people poorly and they will hate you.
Holy cow, stop complaining and get a new job. If you want what your bosses have, become a boss. It is that simple.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 AM

68,430 posts, read 54,895,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
Surely there rich who are like that, but there are also poor like that, ones at both ends and in the middle who think they are all that or that they are above this or that. This situation attests to their view of humanity, not to their income. An ass is an ass whether he/she has $1 or $1,000,000.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
I never said otherwise, just answered the OP's question.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:22 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,529,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
They should IF they can. I am mostly conservative, but I am not a dick. If I am shot on the street and I don't have insurance - how you would know this, I don't know - I should just die? This is an extreme example, but you get the idea.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
If you are shot on the street and have no insurance, you will get treated at the hospital. If you can't pay, you will get charity care. How do you think all the gangsters get treated for their gunshot wounds?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 AM

5,685 posts, read 5,135,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm not bothered by well-off people, I'm bothered by people who believe a stack of dirty paper determines their worth as a human being. If wealth somehow means you're a wonderful human being then Saddam Hussein was surely one of the best
It's not what you have but what you do with it.

You can't buy class, taste, or a sense of responsibility. You can't "buy" being a decent person. Look at Charlie Sheen. He'll make more today in the time it takes him to burp than most of us will make in a year. Ditto the Kardashian clan. Or Lindsey Lohan. All trash with money. Or a thousand others in the public eye or a million who aren't.

But I'm not them and am trying to do the best I can with what I have, be that a dollar or a million dollars. I've been fortunate so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies