Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,344,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you think Jon Lovitz is hot???
Who knew he was gay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times
I would say the same if the case related to homosexuality in any way that I couldn't give a fully impartial answer. For example if the person being tried was gay him/herself, I would probably have a hard time being totally unbiased. The same would probably be true if the person was Deaf. I'm not even deaf anymore but I know what it's like and I'm still involved in the Deaf community, so I probably wouldn't be objective.

It's not about getting out of jury duty but being willing to admit your own biases and not wanting that to affect someone else's life drastically. If the case was totally unrelated to homosexuality or deafness (or some other issue that hits close to home for me), though, as I imagine it would be in most cases, I would happily serve, because I could be objective and therefore fair to the person being tried.

If there is an option to request a different case I would do that.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I have been called 4 times and served twice (both were guilty). It is your duty as an American to serve.
It certainly is. The only exception would be if, you really are biased in a way that would affect a verdict (but that will usually be found out prior to the actual seating of the jury) of if your company docks your pay for serving, again this is rare.

Nita

Old 03-11-2011, 10:04 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,755,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Personally I find it terrifying that any of the posters here would ever take part in jury duty.
You and me both!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,040,895 times
He CAN get married. It's just that society expects it to be with a WOMAN!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,304,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
He CAN get married. It's just that society expects it to be with a WOMAN!
And this society is wrong.
How would you feel (I assume you're a het) if you wanted to marry the woman you love but society told you that you could only marry another man?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:56 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,113 times
LOL. I have been a registered voter for over 34 years, and i have never even been contacted for jury duty.. LOL

Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,071,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
LOL. I have been a registered voter for over 34 years, and i have never even been contacted for jury duty.. LOL
What did you do to get on the no-call list?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,453,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
served in 3 different states, once in Missouri, once in Wisconsin and twice in Minnesota.

I was not the only person to vote not guilty, but I did vote my belief that the law was wrong.

when you believe that the law is wrong, then nullification is the way to go.

I shall never convict anyone of personal drug use, anything that violates state, local or federal firearms laws, and will never vote in favor of the state/feds concerning private property.
Even though I disagree with your beliefs, I actually really admire your conviction in hanging the jury.

I would absolutely do something similar if I disagreed with a law, the thing is I would try to avoid jury duty because I couldn't afford to miss work.

But what you did is definitely cool IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies