Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:26 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times

Advertisements

"What will you do to commemorate the worst day in American history?"

Yawn.
Not sure this day is even in the top ten of worst days in American history.
I won't commemorate it in any way. Why would I? it did not effect me. Its significance has been overblown and misrepresented. It happened. It was tragic (but not unexpected). Life goes on. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
The US embassies in Africa...Oklahoma City Federal Building and those poor kids...were before 9/11 ?
Yes and I am in Oklahoma but the one that grabs me the most is 9/11. You don't (me) remember the other dates like that one and of course the amount of civilians killed not to mention all the planes and how America suffered after. We all suffered with the Oklahoma City Fed. Bldg. (great memorial if you get there) but the after effects of 9/11 I think were greater. Obviously, not to the family that lost members killed in the others.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
"What will you do to commemorate the worst day in American history?"

Yawn.
Not sure this day is even in the top ten of worst days in American history.
I won't commemorate it in any way. Why would I? it did not effect me. Its significance has been overblown and misrepresented. It happened. It was tragic (but not unexpected). Life goes on. Get over it.
Hmmm... I wonder if this would be your response if you knew someone who died in any of those planes/buildings.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Some people can never see beyond the slogans. I think the day we bombed non combatants in Europe was the day we lost our soul. Bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki confirmed our membership in the Monsters of War club. Sending troops to kill Vietnamese civilians was to be expected. After all they wanted to be free of the French and that was intolerable.

I am critical of what my country has done in the name of politics and military necessity. I think the USA is still a good place to live that could be made better. One of the things we could do is stop using our force to protect foreign, and some domestic like the Saudi’s, colonial empires. It is time to bring our money and troops home and start making the US a better place for all of us to live.
YES!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Hmmm... I wonder if this would be your response if you knew someone who died in any of those planes/buildings.
Hmmm...Perhaps not. But I didn't, so it doesn't.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'll probably go to work, I also don't know if I'd agree with 9/11 being the worst day ever.

I think Pearl Harbor ties 9/11 for the worst day in US history.

neither pearl harbor or 9/11 is the worst day in american history.

the worst day in american history is the day that the federal reserve came into being.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5uIPyYDlQ

What will you do to commemorate the worst day in American history?
Not to belittle the experience, but there have been A LOT of worse days, even in American history. Gettysburg comes to mind, or Pearl Harbor, or the day Columbus discovered America, or the day Paris Hilton was born, for example.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:19 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I was doing my darndest to schedule a cruise to the Carribean during 9/11, but DW can't get the time off work that week. My goal was to have as little exposure to the media that day as possible.

It was a tragic day with catastrophic results. However, the aftermath is less than palatable to me: the widows group, the truthers, the crappy replacement tower, the ridiculous memorial complex proposed for PA, etc.

The various interests have made it difficult to embrace the day.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
there have been A LOT of worse days, the day Paris Hilton was born, for example.
Yep...it looks like America has forgotten 9/11.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Liberals will dance in the streets to celebrate with their Muslim brethen.

As for everybody else, we'll remember and honor the victims of this insidious, unprovoked Islamic terrorist attack in our own personal, and far more appropriate, ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies