Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,471,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I'm all for higher gas prices. We citizens have to learn sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Suburbs are already becoming ghettos. Been happening for 2 decades. Nothing new here.
Non-sense the burbs are still growig and the urban devlopemnt relying o federal funding is drying up. The urban areas will need to tighten their belts even further i coming deacdes. Burbs will continue to grow and those in them will just adjust utilk fianlly the trnsformatio to where they are is complete that has been happening for decades. The song has been chage to how you goig to keep them i the cuty now that the jobs are gone from early 20th century.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,950,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I could have sworn I saw a blurb on my local TV news a week or two and Obama saying that American's will just have to "absorb" the costs of gasoline into their already tight budgets. Does anyone have a link to this quote? Anyway...we are headed to a breaking point. Obviously we haven't reached that point just yet.

Say "bye-bye" to that vacation we were going to take this year.
Hitting much harder isn't the price of gas you put in your tank but everything else you purchase. You think maybe those tractors in the field run by windmill power?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,966,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I agree that there are other costs associated with high fuel prices. Delivery systems mostly. This spike in price is not going away. China and India are bidding up prices and it's not going to get better. If you believe in the power of the free market to adjust to conditions then you gotta believe that the free market will provide solutions to the problem. No amount of regulation by Obama is ever going to bring gas prices down. If we drilled every well possible, that still wouldn't solve the problem. The problem isn't Obama, it's world demand and a good republican mantra is that free enterprise, unregulated will find a solution.
That sounds like something Greenspan said in 1998 when Brooksley Born tried to regulate derivatives. He said we should not regulate derivatives because if they do get to risky, or there is fraud involved, the free market will take care of it. How did that work out?

Is that sort of like, everything works out in the end kind of thinking?

Like, if we do have a WW3 involving nukes, we can just say, it will all work out in the end even if only 1/10 of the population is left.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Have been getting lucky with accepted contracts and working really close to home lately!

Only spent $50 the last 3 weeks in my truck. Compared to $150 every 2 weeks.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,182,122 times
I had to buy gas today.. Instead of getting the normal free gas, I had to pay $.599 for a gallon.. I bought 30 gallons.. Can someone loan me some money.. haha..

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,966,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
The government is too busy anyway banning incandescent light bulbs. Besides, Obama can't put together a 2-piece puzzle.

I say $6/gal by the middle to end of summer.
And not this years, but next years crops will go up as a consequence....among many other things.

Say...Didn't we have an economic melt down last time prices started to rise?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,933,857 times
I reality its just a return to reality and we have no choice but to adjust.People just like last time will adjust what they spend on.Its not just what you buy but that people will be less in stores shopping because itcost more eventually.To tell you the truth I never really returned to the pre-embargo level of vehicle usage after the 70's even.As far as deamnd the US really isn't the growing market that causes that incrases any more with growth in emerging countries.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,950,670 times
Our cars both get great gas mileage and until now, we were quite a bit under our fuel budget so we will just be using a bit of the reserve up. I am really hoping that the fuel prices increasing encourage some people to stop driving. I would love to avoid traffic. I am still surprised how many big, gas guzzling vehicles I see on the roads (minus 18 wheelers as they are depended upon for shipments, etc.) that probably get no more than 15 mpg.

But, this is the time of year that both of us travel a lot for work so our cars will be sitting around most of the time. I guess I am not worried about it as much.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,743,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Hitting much harder isn't the price of gas you put in your tank but everything else you purchase. You think maybe those tractors in the field run by windmill power?

our whole economy was built from cheap energy,, high energy prices will kill it.!! some people just don't get it, high oil prices will drive up the cost of every single consumer product, transportation, food, housing ,you name it it will rise accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies