Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,425,196 times

Advertisements

Its hurting us because of my wifes Job with Haliburton being Outsourced,having to drive 55 miles one way for School to retrain her.We have to have Full Size 4WD to get in and out of our place.We can't sell the place because of the Housing Market.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,732,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
What policies?

1. Drilling moratorium, Gulf of Mexico
2. Near-complete stop on new Gulf permits
3. Revocation of previously granted exploration and production leases in continental US.
4. Refusal to permit drilling in Alaska, onshore and offsore, which may result in dismantling the Alaska Pipeline for below-minimum usage within six years.
5. Diversion of scarce resources to subsidize uneconomic electric hobbymobiles for the upper class.
6. Diversion of scarce resources to subsidize uneconomic wind energy, ethanol, and other green energy cons.

The market will drive us to the most efficient sources, oil now and something else later. Government interference in traditional energy production or alternatives is not helping us.
1. Drilling moratorium only applies to deep water rigs until they can show a containment system for any spills they cause.
2. New permits are like green firewood. Good for the future, not for now. There are hundreds of perfectly good wells in the gulf that are currently capped only because the industry doesn't want to tap them.
3. I'd like to see a link where previously permitted drilling has been revoked
4. Bush had 8 years and he didn't permit drilling in the areas you site.
5. The cheap 60MPH gas/hybred is just around the corner. But you won't like it cause it's small and you can't flatten a Prius when you T-Bone it.
6. It's called development. Things of this scale need to be subsidized by the government. It will all pay off in the end.

You've pointed out all the challenges we face but provided no solutions. I assume your only solution is to Drill baby drill and we can't forget Obama's foot on the neck of the oil industry. Total deregulation and rampant exploitation of our remaining resources is really the only solution the republicans have.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 PM

24,600 posts, read 33,538,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The higher gas prices will obviously hurt, but we are still about $.75 a gallon short of where gas prices peaked a little less than 3 years ago.
The prices peaked during the summer; we have to see what they are in about 4 months to compare.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 PM

24,600 posts, read 33,538,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
No. The extra 50 cents per gallon has forced me into bankruptcy. That $7 extra dollars to fill up the tank has ruined my life. *rolls eyes*
An extra 50 cents per gallon? It's more like 75 cents here and rising every day.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,942,013 times
We could all suck it up and purchase a way overpriced Volt. The kicker is that if enough people went the electric route...our grid will collapse. I believe we're screwed either way. Of course we could figure out a way to have a 100 MPG V8 engine. Any idea's on how to do that?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,732,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
We could all suck it up and purchase a way overpriced Volt. The kicker is that if enough people went the electric route...our grid will collapse. I believe we're screwed either way. Of course we could figure out a way to have a 100 MPG V8 engine. Any idea's on how to do that?
No. But the industry would easily create a 60mpg 4 cyl, 4 seater for under 10 thousand. People will buy them once the price of gas is right.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,416,100 times
My bicycle and non-consumerist ways aren't doing bad.

I only work part time and think I'll be able to afford a couple month long trip to Greece this summer.

Lifestyle choices FTW

Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,711,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Everyone doing OK "absorbing the gas prices"? .
Doing OK so far. Cutting down on our driving a bit to cope, but we have everything we need within a very short distance, and can reach most of it by public transit if it comes down to that. I sympathize with exurbanites though.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,007,523 times
The problem is that not only are gas prices rising, so is everything else. If it was just gas, then people could absorb it. Goody for you if it doesn`t affect you personaly, but there are lot of Americans that it will affect.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 PM

6,109 posts, read 11,007,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
What policies?

1. Drilling moratorium, Gulf of Mexico
2. Near-complete stop on new Gulf permits
3. Revocation of previously granted exploration and production leases in continental US.
4. Refusal to permit drilling in Alaska, onshore and offsore, which may result in dismantling the Alaska Pipeline for below-minimum usage within six years.
5. Diversion of scarce resources to subsidize uneconomic electric hobbymobiles for the upper class.
6. Diversion of scarce resources to subsidize uneconomic wind energy, ethanol, and other green energy cons.

The market will drive us to the most efficient sources, oil now and something else later. Government interference in traditional energy production or alternatives is not helping us.
Except the recent run up in oil prices has absolutely nothing to do with any oil shortages or supply shortages as there isn't any. Its called a commodity and the price is determined completely by spot and futures traders. This administration like previous administrations has very little effect as to what the price of oil will be, even way in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies