Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,976 times

Advertisements

A perfect example of this is Barack Obama.

Obama's mother is white but his father is Black.

Will the One drop rule exist in the future? Does it exist in present Day?

Any other country has the 1 drop rule?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

50% is rather more than one drop.

So... how would President Obama be a "perfect example?"

Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,456 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if you are trying to be malicious, and I am quite sure this thread will die quickly.....

But I thought to step in to at least inform you of how outdated, ridiculous, racist and simply stupid the one drop rule is. For you to bring it up, well, shows your true "colors" I suppose.

Keep on looking for societies with "one drop rules." Unfortunately for you, you have little grasp of the way such "rules play out on Earth (caste systems etc.).

Your question, in my opinion, is also simply stupid. Yes, Obama is half white and half black. Why do you care about the one drop rule? Are you obsessed with the need to call him "black"? Are you incapable of processing the reality of "mixed people"?

Just wondering. Your initial rant reeks of stupidity and perhaps racism. At the end of the day though, your problem, not mine. Good luck. The world is big, sometimes minds are not.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,509 times
I'm not quite sure what this thread is about, but it seems to me that it is likely a trolling attempt.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:

Barack Obama is biracial, and he is your president. Get over it already.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm not quite sure what this thread is about, but it seems to me that it is likely a trolling attempt.
Pretty much a troll thread. I am ashamed I even tried to give a legitimate (albiet nasty) response to the OP.

I have no problem being nasty to a nasty troll. Trolls, like spam and disease, are a nasty disgusting virus that need to be dealt with immediately.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:

The one drop rule, lives in the minds of people. It's never been important whether or not it was codified into law.

So i ask you, does the one drop rule exist in your mind? If not, then no.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
According to published reports Halle Berry subscribes to the one drop theory, even though her daughter is 3/4 white. I would consider Berry as well as our president to be bi-racial but I guess if they want to more strongly identify with their black heritage who am I to argue

Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Pretty much a troll thread.
Not as far as I can see, but it is early.

As for the question, does the one drop rule still apply...

I would think that it would depend on the sniffing out skills and motive of the person inquiring, and how the person detected handled themselves once the "*** was up".

I would suspect that if someone who was the recipient of the one drop acted in a pseudo racially superior manner, like say a Mel Gibson, and it was later learned that they were the beholder of that one drop, it is quite possible, actually more than likely that their would be an accompanying **** storm.

Other than that, I don't think any black folks would care.

On the other hand, that one drop would preclude one from being a full participant on Storm Front, it would kill your membership application to the Aryan Brotherhood and a number of like social clubs and fraternal organizations.

So in answer to the question, maybe.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
According to published reports Halle Berry subscribes to the one drop theory, even though her daughter is 3/4 white. I would consider Berry as well as our president to be bi-racial but I guess if they want to more strongly identify with their black heritage who am I to argue
Provide a link to these reports please. Halle Berry herself is "mixed." I don't doubt she has made comment that some people subscribe to the one drop theory, but I highly doubt she feels the need to subscribe to the theory in order to identify with her black heritage.

Contrary to the false perspective of some well meaning white people, bi-racial folks have a pretty well formed identity based on being informed by at least two "worlds." Being biracial is something white folks will never know so I guess its not a surprise that they bring up one drop theory and a myriad of other outdated ways of looking at race. Clearly, this is a puzzle for many whites because they still wrangle over what bi or mutli racial Americans are, in their perspective.

Meanwhile, when you ask them about their heritage, they spout off "French, Irish, German" etc. But they don't understand multiracial. It's almost funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies