Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:16 PM

37,200 posts, read 42,462,414 times

Advertisements

I remember back in the 70's when I was taking a business class and the instructor, who worked in the banking industry, present us "the future" where cash and checks wouldn't be needed because a machine would just read a special card and deduct money from your account. While some people were on board most thought it was ridiculous because they couldn't imagine how we could get a machine like that everywhere they went to spend money. Obviously that did happen, and so did some pretty big changes in the way people shopped and spent money. This is how I feel about the electric car, people are trying to fit it into how they live in today's world without regard to how future generations may live in theirs. Perhaps those cross country car trips will just be a distant memory of a backwards time...

Regardless, we need to continually do R&D or die. What we have today, right now, isn't the epitome of anything. It's just future history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 PM

45,451 posts, read 26,712,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I remember back in the 70's when I was taking a business class and the instructor, who worked in the banking industry, present us "the future" where cash and checks wouldn't be needed because a machine would just read a special card and deduct money from your account. While some people were on board most thought it was ridiculous because they couldn't imagine how we could get a machine like that everywhere they went to spend money. Obviously that did happen, and so did some changes in the way people shopped and spent money. This is how I feel about the electric car, people are trying to fit it into how they live in today's world without regard to how future generations may live in theirs. Perhaps those cross country car trips will just be a distant memory of a backwards time...
All find and good, but why do you think it's ok to steal my money today (taxes), to provide for someone else hypothetical future need?

Old 02-19-2011, 04:30 PM

36 posts, read 72,296 times
Ahh the electric car debate. I'd love to look back on this 5 years from now when a good chunk

I'm not even going to jump into the many reasons why electric cars are good and inevitable because the skeptics wouldn't be skeptics if they accepted those sort of things but I will mention one thing most people don't consider.

One great thing about electric cars is thats it's really going to drive innovations in battery technology. I don't think there is one person in this country that doesn't rely on batteries daily. Even the amish people around my way use batteries to light up their buggies at night.

When you're building a battery that is going to have to push a 2 ton vehicle at 90 mph for 100 or more miles, you're going to want it to be the best battery out there. And improving the electric car enough for the skeptics to say 'well maybe it ain't so bad' is essentially just improving the battery. Namely it's capacity and how quickly it will charge.

I don't know anyone who would complain if this battery technology led to phones, laptops, netbooks, tablets, that charged in about 10 seconds and stayed charged with heavy usage for about 2 weeks.

If you don't think that will happen well then, throw your phones and etc away now cause it already did. Technology doesn't stop advancing just because you don't like it.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:34 PM

14,247 posts, read 18,003,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
All find and good, but why do you think it's ok to steal my money today (taxes), to provide for someone else hypothetical future need?
In a sense, government has been doing that for years ... but they hid it in military and NASA budgets amongst others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies