Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,200,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post

Sheila apparently does not have a sense of humor. I think the ad was funny and had SOME element of truth. I think there are also a lot of women of all races who act like this, it's just that black women are more noted for this.
Black men have an early death rate , its good the wife is helping him with his diet .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 06:46 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,348,028 times
Sheila Jackson Lee

What is with this woman's clothes? They look like some weird David Bowie outfit.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,365,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I think Sheila Jackson Lee was pissed off that the commercial showed a black guy hitting on a white girl ..

If it would have been a black girl, that the black guy was hitting on, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Black women, in so very many ways, have got the same problem that white guys have, when there is a portrayal of a black man hitting on a white woman, or a white woman hitting on a black man.

After looking at both of the videos, and having good friends, both black and white, for years, I can only come to the conclusion that Sheila Jackson Lee is a full blown racist.

This whole thing is more to do with racism than it is about anything else

Maybe Sheila was ticked off because the black woman in the commercial was attractive?

Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Black men have an early death rate , its good the wife is helping him with his diet .
There is helping and there is going overboard.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,910,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I could see it as having a racial element at the end, perhaps unintended, although it's one I see more among black comedians themselves. Namely it maybe brings up the idea that black women "flip out" about white women or are insecure about them "taking our men."
Exactly my point.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 AM

7,817 posts, read 6,404,847 times
Yes, knocking out a white woman and leaving her for dead might be racist any why the hell is this even in congress?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:38 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,773,669 times
I think if they kept the knocker outer and the knocker outee the same race, this wouldn't be a discussion. JMO

Old 02-13-2011, 07:52 AM

23,602 posts, read 17,283,784 times
Default race comes in second......but it does place

Definitely argue about the equality of race and reverse roles to see if the other way feels right. The larger issue was the disregard for humanity as the couple let the injured woman lie in an unconscious state.

Right out of Sienfeld's last couple of episodes. Kitty Genovese all over again as the conscience of America, instead of being rattled at such indifference and inaction, is now laughing at it.

Kitty Genoves was stabbed as onlookers did just that. It was headline news and generated many followup articles on the ethics of bystanders looking to not get involved. It was a story of shame.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,348,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Kitty Genovese was stabbed as onlookers did just that. It was headline news and generated many followup articles on the ethics of bystanders looking to not get involved. It was a story of shame.
I know of an instance in Chicago of a white woman being raped by a black man in a CTA train station, in a mostly black neighborhood, in the middle of the day, while people just walked on by and some cheered the man on. Nobody called the police either. (It happened in the 1990's)

And a similar crime in the 1988:

"But the sharpest public reaction followed a third incident, in which hundreds of people passing along a crowded downtown train platform at rush hour watched and laughed but did nothing while a man and a woman had sex relations in a stairwell. No one alerted the police until the woman's cries made it clear they had just witnessed a rape."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...tion-witnesses

And the worst I have heard of from 2006:

Chicago Police strand a white woman from California in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. The woman was raped and probably pushed off a 7th floor of a housing project by a black man. Somehow she lived, but is now severely disabled.

"Eventually, Marvin Powell, a reputed gang member and convicted felon arrived. He ordered everyone out of the apartment but prevented Eilman from leaving. Eilman was heard screaming briefly. Shortly thereafter, she plunged from the 7th floor apartment to the ground below."

http://www.illinoislawyerblog.com/2010/01/the_tragic_tale_of_christina_e_1.html (broken link)

Anyway, enough on this angle.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 02-13-2011 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,307,039 times
So you people feel the knocking out of the white chick is racist, but everything else isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies