Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 06:47 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,658,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I didn't see that at all in the commercial.

What's so bossy about a wife trying to keep her husband on a diet.
It seemed to involve kicking, grabbing his head, and shoving stuff in his mouth. It's a very aggressive way of keeping a person on their diet. It seems like on the old "The Cosby Show", from the 80s, Clare would get fairly aggressive with Cliff about his diet but I don't know if she went that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 06:53 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,471,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

It seemed to involve kicking, grabbing his head, and shoving stuff in his mouth. It's a very aggressive way of keeping a person on their diet. It seems like on the old "The Cosby Show", from the 80s, Clare would get fairly aggressive with Cliff about his diet but I don't know if she went that far.
No, she didn't.

See what I mean about how that image of the black woman gets seared into people's minds?

It's false. And to keep perpetuating it is actually harmful. The producers of that commercial were utterly irresponsible.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,549,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
What do ya'll think? Overreaction or justified?
Stupid ad, stupid Congresscritter.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Why didn't they cast an attractive Black woman for the wife?
I might disagree with this part. I think the black woman in the couple is, physically at least, as attractive as the man. Possibly moreso.

There's kind of a thing on TV that schlubby looking guys marry/cohabit with pretty attractive, yet demanding, women who berate them. She might not be as attractive as some of the wives in those sitcoms, but she's not fat or ugly or anything.

The racial make-up of the commercial I think was possibly intended to appeal to blacks. In sitcoms in general you have the pattern I mentioned of "attractive, but demanding wife who's obsessed with her husband's diet" but black sitcoms I've seen sometimes will add that she's also "overly concerned he'll cheat on her, particularly with a white woman." Everybody Hates Chris had an episode like that, the Mom shows up in the Dad's personal fantasy when a white woman appears or at least is more irate on that than the flock of black women in it.

Still I can understand a backlash to that even if many of the people promoting the idea are black.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,227,415 times
This woman really needs to get the hell out of congress!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
No, she didn't.
I'm not sure what the face means. In the clips you show she doesn't do much of anything to him and at the end she just talks about moderation. And she was concerned because of a friends heart problems so that gives a context.

I know some blacks dislike "The Cosby Show" but I thought they did a fairly good job of showing an intact black family that people of any race could like or admire. Clare could be kind-of demanding at times, although in this case she doesn't look that bad and it seems almost as much about him trying to circumvent her, but in most ways I think she was mild compared the white wives on "Everybody Loves Raymond" or "King of Queens." Or at least had more dignity.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:15 PM

15,443 posts, read 21,470,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
... I can only come to the conclusion that Sheila Jackson Lee is a full blown racist.
BINGO! We have a winner.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:16 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,471,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

I'm not sure what the face means. In the clips you show she doesn't do much of anything to him and at the end she just talks about moderation. And she was concerned because of a friends heart problems so that gives a context.

I know some blacks dislike "The Cosby Show" but I thought they did a fairly good job of showing an intact black family that people of any race could like or admire. Clare could be kind-of demanding at times, although in this case she doesn't look bad it seems more about him trying to circumvent her, but in most ways I think she was mild compared the white wives on "Everybody Loves Raymond" or "King of Queens." Or at least had more dignity.
The face means it's ridiculous to compare that woman in the commercial's behavior to that of the character Claire Huxtable. Claire was highly educated woman who used her intellect and wit to get her points across, not her feet and her fists. But the fact that you've somehow got it embedded in your mind that Claire was ever physically abusive to Cliff, like the woman in that commercial was to her husband/boyfiend, tells me the media has done a great job imprinting that stereotype of the aggressive, violent black woman in your mind.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,490,840 times
I thought the ad was more sexist than racist.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 02-13-2011 at 07:42 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,880,069 times
SJL is the most ignorant POS in Washington DC, that woman couldn't keep a job at WalMart but because of gerrymandering she's allowed to continue her reign of terror in our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies