Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:01 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,995,748 times

Advertisements

The latest Gallup poll says public concern over unemployment has peaked at the highest level since we last had a jobless rate over 9%, which should surprise no one. What may surprise some is that the concern is increasing, despite arguments from the Obama administration that the economy has been creating jobs for the last year:
Thirty-five percent of Americans name unemployment as the most important problem facing the U.S., the highest percentage since the economic slowdown began and higher than at any point since October 1983 (41%). Unemployment is the most important problem for the second month in a row, with the economy ranking second and healthcare third.
From the beginning of the economic slowdown through 2009, mentions of “the economy” in general were consistently the top issue. In the past year, as the government’s unemployment rate has stayed in the 9% range, the economy and specific mentions of unemployment have traded the top spot several times. This month, mentions of unemployment increased to 35%, and it now leads mentions of the economy by a significant margin.
The partisan breakdowns will surprise a bit, too. The reassuring talk from the White House has failed to assuage the concerns of their own party most of all. Forty-one percent of Democrats call unemployment the most important problem with the general economic environment second at 29%. Independents split 32/27, while Republicans break 31/32, putting the general economy slightly ahead of joblessness.
Of course, employment depends on economic conditions, and as Gallup notes, almost 70% of Americans mention economics in some way when asked about their greatest concern. That indicates a broad sense that two years into its term, the Obama administration hasn’t properly addressed the economy and has yet to hit on a formula to improve it.
In fact, as Andrew Malcolm writes, it seems as though Barack Obama and Joe Biden are deliberately trying to change the subject these days:
Forget all the futuristic talk about solar panels. Windmills. And the high-speed trains that someday might move a handful of people very quickly at enormous expense.
Americans have collectively ruled on what is their top issue right now. And it’s none of the above.
It’s unemployment. Make that, Unemployment.
Plan A was Obamanomics. Plan B seems to be “investments,” which sounds an awful lot like Plan A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 AM

67 posts, read 116,916 times
That's the Domino effect of outsourcing jobs. As long US companies are working with 200-300% profit, and are paying wages in cents, US economy won't get any better.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,360,223 times
I don't think a poll was needed to know this.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,229,604 times
I think you're spinning the poll to your own ends. I'm not a liberal, but here's another interpretation. Obama has been pushing lately for private sector job creation as a way to get us out of the mess long term, and I think he's right--if we don't support private sector job creation and bring jobs back to this country, no amount of budget cuts are going to save us. Given those statements, it makes sense that Democrats would see unemployment--and the need to support private sector job creation--as the greater priority.

I'm a small business owner, and a former R, and I think the last thing the Obama administration is trying to do is "change the subject." Even the Chamber of Commerce came out in support of the administrations proposal to invest in basic R & D for new and emerging technologies, and new technology that would work toward energy independence, so that basic research could be used by the private sector for applied research and new product development. The same thing goes for infrastructure development that supports business--NORTH KOREA has more widely available high speed internet than we do in this country.

The crazy part--the proposed corporate tax cuts and support of the private sector are all what used to be the platform of the R party, and now you think it's silly and sinister because it's coming from a Dem. I don't know which side I'm voting for next time, but it will be the one that gets something done for private sector job creation--I could care less who makes it happen, as long as it gets done.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I don't think a poll was needed to know this.
...and the first paragraph states:

Quote:
which should surprise no one. What may surprise some is that the concern is increasing, despite arguments from the Obama administration
And further down...

Quote:
The partisan breakdowns will surprise a bit, too........

Old 02-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
...and the first paragraph states:

And further down...
And your point is? Democrats are more concerned about unemployment. The administration hasn't said it's rosy, although it's slowly improving--they're screaming for new job creation. Why wouldn't democratic voters mirror the same line? We have to create jobs to get unemployment down, because the jobs aren't out there. Why is this so hard to understand? The R response is to slash the federal budget to the bone--some of that needs to happen--but you're foolish if you think that's going to fix unemployment on it's own. That's what I hear Obama saying. I'm about as far from a water girl for the Obama administration as it gets, but I think he's absolutely right on this one.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Obama has been pushing lately for private sector job creation as a way to get us out of the mess long term, and I think he's right--if we don't support private sector job creation and bring jobs back to this country, no amount of budget cuts are going to save us.

The budget deficit and federal deficit directly affects the economy in many ways.

Out-of-control spending is directly tied to the economy.

And the economy directly affects private sector job creation.

You don't SPEND your way out of debt at home do you?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,096,001 times
I thni cuts are needed because the debt is itself causing job growht to be slow as it effects what priavte sector sees as future liabiltiues and confience i genral. What we have been doing is nt even stoppig but conitinuig graoth in spending ;quite the opposite. First cut s to control spending and maybe we will see some priavte sector investment as they see less liabilty in the future and are more confident that Obama tax priavte business and rich is goig to effect them as much.I reallydoubt anyone would follow the advise of anyone whose plan A did nothig but creat debt when it was sold as a massive infrastruture and employemnt plan and failed.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 AM

What I heard Obama say (and this was at Penn State University) was that if you show them the idea, he'll show you the money.

That's Obamatalk for "we can spend out way out of trouble".

Nothing's actually changed with his rhetoric with the exception that he's not calling the Chamber of Commerce and all business the devil anymore.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
The budget deficit and federal deficit directly affects the economy in many ways.

Out-of-control spending is directly tied to the economy.

And the economy directly affects private sector job creation.

You don't SPEND your way out of debt at home do you?
I agree cuts need to be made--significant cuts. I just don't think it's the salvation that some of you think it is. Lets use the home example you brought up. If you lose your job, you have to cut your budget down to needs only to make it until you can find another job. If your industry is dying and the jobs are gone, you'd better cut while you reinvest at the same time in things like education that will make you marketable to a new employer in a new industry. That's where I think this country is. We have to cut, AND we have to reinvest. For instance, my DH and I both had student loans for college. We borrowed, but it was money very well spent. Would I borrow to buy a boat--no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies