Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,728,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
... when 70 year old people are working simply because they can't afford insurance without a job, then something is wrong with that system.
70 year old people HAVE insurance. They don't have to work for that reason. If they're working, it's because their SS isn't enough, or they may have high prescription expenses. They have Medicare, and working will not give them better coverage. They are stuck in Medicare, thanks to our benevolent government not giving them a choice once they hit age 65. That is one thing that is definitely wrong with the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,439,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
70 year old people HAVE insurance. They don't have to work for that reason. If they're working, it's because their SS isn't enough, or they may have high prescription expenses. They have Medicare, and working will not give them better coverage. They are stuck in Medicare, thanks to our benevolent government not giving them a choice once they hit age 65. That is one thing that is definitely wrong with the system.
Medicare and medicaid suck without supplemental insurance.

Believe me, my grandparents have theirs. I work and pay for mine, but I've been poor, with no insurance. I also know what that means. I also have other grandparents who aren't so lucky, and live on next to nothing because they saved, but not enough to cover the extra after medicare doesn't kick in.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,729,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yep, I think you got it. Of course, CSpan also has the video...somewhere. And I'm sure there is text of the testimony as well. But all that doesn't matter.
So are you conceding that this is actually good news for the economy? That people will have greater freedom of choice, that it will keep jobs open for those who really need / want them and allow those who wish to retire and spend more time with their families to do so?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,551,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So are you conceding that this is actually good news for the economy? That people will have greater freedom of choice, that it will keep jobs open for those who really need / want them and allow those who wish to retire and spend more time with their families to do so?

waiting in anticipation for the answer

Old 02-10-2011, 07:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,013,942 times
Its only logical whenh labor cost go up the numjber hired will be less be it thru automation or otherwsie . My company adopted the healthcare mandates in Oct and a hiring freeze lus cut in benefits when they do make new hires later. I was lucky because they are honoring all terms of employment from when you were hired.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:57 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,110,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Since you've apparently never been on unemployment, let me explain.

Your unemployment check is based on your pay while you were employed.

So if you were making minimum wage, you won't get the maximum amount which is usually around 350 dollars a week before taxes (yes, you pay taxes on unemployment, and you don't get the EIC either, because its not earned income).

So if you are making minimum wage you might get 200 dollars a week, and that may be over estimating it.

Presenting a winger with facts simply blows their minds and shakes the very foundation of their delusion.

Don't be too mad at them. They're just repeating the propaganda they've swallowed hook line and sinker.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
waiting in anticipation for the answer
If I've learned anything, Sanrene and those who agree with her don't answer questions once they have been proven wrong. They just disappear... let the thread fade away, and start up on a new one as if they weren't just proven wrong for the 154th time.

Though I can't take credit for this one, the number of times these people are proven unequivocally wrong is just astounding. Makes you think that maybe, just maybe, this president we elected knows how to run a country.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,872,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Really, does it make any difference whatsoever how the jobs are lost? So, we are going to now dismiss the CBO director as he articulates that once again, obamacare is the worst piece of legislative disaster thrust upon this nation by obama and the dems.
You would not be babbling if you understood what the CBO director "articulated".

Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM

<pokes head in room>
Hello...? Extreme conservatives? ... I've got a tasty Marxist waiting in the hallway for you!....
<shrugs and walks out>

Last edited by Bluefly; 02-10-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM

446 posts, read 650,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
One of the joys on here is stumbling upon these threads posted by ideologues unwilling or able to research on their own. Some propagandist who makes millions spreading lies feeds them another one, and they eat it up. All the other ideological followers jump on board for the first page or two and they all do a big victory dance ... feeling for a moment as if all the false ideas they've been pumped full of have been validated.

Then... someone always comes along who actually thinks for him/herself, does a little independent research, and provides the facts and the whole story.

Inevitably, the thread blows up in the OP's face, the ideologues scrounge for scraps of the lost victory to try and win a point or two on a technicality, sanity is restored to the political process, and we await the next grand Beck manipulation
And that is one of the main reasons I hang around this forum. Watching the righties kick-start the cycle you described is a straight up hoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies