Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,819,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's my point though--if the tea party firmly controls the Republican party in Iowa, they're going to shift the questions and the debate far right there--not only on economic issues, but social issues as well. In order to win in Iowa or at least make a decent showing (how you do in Iowa plays a big role in raising money from big donors for the rest of your campaign--it's make it or break it time) they're going to have to take a hard right turn. Romney is going to have a tough time because of the health care bill in MA (what HCR was modeled after) and Huckabee isn't a hard economic conservative. Romney is also fairly moderate on social issues. I don't know if they can pull it off. That leaves the field open for a hard right candidate to carry Iowa, and it throws the entire R primary process into turmoil.
The republicans would rather take 10 steps further to the right, than one to the center. With McConnell cracking the whip at anyone that tries to compromise, I'm sure we will see some giving in to the far right social issues to continue and go even further to the radical right on the economics. It may have been too soon for the Angles and O'Donnells, but with the constant pushing by right wing outlets and the Koch brother's funding, it's very likely to see a radical right nominee. Perhaps not in 12', but soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,211,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Of course the Liberals don't like hearing that the Tea Party consists of at least 41% Democrats and Independents.

That wouldn't fit their "far right" delusions.
And if they keep moving to the right on social conservative issues in place of keeping their promises on the economy, they're going to lose them. Did you read the topic? Time to catch up.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It's a "big tent", so just because not every single person who's in the Tea Party and/or Republican doesn't march in lock step with each other means very little.
So then why is that "big tent" targeting more moderate conservatives as "Rhinos" and running them out of office? Rather than a big tent, I think it's a little more like a kleenex.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,985,417 times
Quote:
And if they keep moving to the right on social conservative issues in place of keeping their promises on the economy, they're going to lose them. Did you read the topic? Time to catch up.
Yep...I read it and I've commented earlier in the thread. Did oyu not catch up to that?

You claim they are moving to the right on social conservative issues, HOWEVER as I said BEFORE......the article ONLY says that the IOWA Tea Party may be moving that way.

As far as I know, the Iowa Tea Party doesn't speak for the entire national Tea Party as a movement.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,985,417 times
Quote:
So then why is that "big tent" targeting more moderate conservatives as "Rhinos" and running them out of office? Rather than a big tent, I think it's a little more like a kleenex.
RINOS aren't Tea Party material to begin with....by definition.

I was replying about a tiny amount of controversy between a LEVEL or AMOUNT of spending cuts within the movement.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yep...I read it and I've commented earlier in the thread. Did oyu not catch up to that?

You claim they are moving to the right on social conservative issues, HOWEVER as I said BEFORE......the article ONLY says that the IOWA Tea Party may be moving that way.

As far as I know, the Iowa Tea Party doesn't speak for the entire national Tea Party as a movement.
But the Iowa tea party is going to shape the debate for the republican presidential nomination process. Remember? Everybody starts in Iowa, and the entire country is watching. I don't know how to explain this any more clearly to you. The social conservatives in the tea party are in control of the R party there, and they're going to be the ones grilling candidates on issues, including SOCIAL CONSERVATIVE issues. It forces the R candidates to either 1) take a right turn on social conservative issues to get voters in Iowa or 2) lose the state. You don't have to win Iowa to get big money from donors, but if you do really badly, you're sunk. If candidates make those hard shifts right out of pressure on social issues, I find it hard to believe that they'll be able to keep the moderates for the general election.

The other point is that many of the other tea party groups have been pretty much controlled by the R establishment at this point through funding--the REPUBLICAN ORGANIZERS have kept the message pretty controlled. They've left the Iowa group alone, and look where they've headed. I honestly don't think the R controlled tea party organizers can keep a lid on these groups any more as far as keeping them focused on economic issues--I've always thought they'd head off into social conservative issues, and here we are.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The republicans would rather take 10 steps further to the right, than one to the center. With McConnell cracking the whip at anyone that tries to compromise, I'm sure we will see some giving in to the far right social issues to continue and go even further to the radical right on the economics. It may have been too soon for the Angles and O'Donnells, but with the constant pushing by right wing outlets and the Koch brother's funding, it's very likely to see a radical right nominee. Perhaps not in 12', but soon.
Exactly. But the big question is, can they win a general, and will it tear the R party apart?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,200,015 times
What happened to the deficit? Tea Party moves to social conservative issues.

Quote:
Despite constant rhetoric during the recent Congressional elections that the tea party is a diverse group of grassroots citizens rallying around the deficit, that doesn't seem to be holding out. Just as I thought, some of the groups are rapidly embracing far right social conservative positions, as well as economic positions. I'm curious how some of you view this in terms of keeping libertarian support, and the support of the Republican establishment.

In the past, the R leadership did lots of grandstanding on social conservative issues, but never got around to doing much. The social conservatives put up with it. Does this mark the beginning of radical change in the R party? Is the party going to have to move to the far right on social conservative issues to keep their base? How does that impact the support of more moderate R's, and more moderate swing voters who helped the R's regain the house in 2010?
I still see and hold out hope for the Ron/Rand Paul faction of the Tea Party, but once it came down to putting rubber to the road, it appears many of the Tea Party were little more than Republicans riding a wave anti-establishment resentment towards Obama. The focus on health care and associated spending was largely responsible for sewing the seeds for this tsunami.

Now that it is time to actually govern and you ask people, ok, what do we cut. Suddenly the realization of alienating the elderly voting bloc by cutting Social Security isn't so glamorous. Of course there was never any thought of cutting offense (defense) spending, so that left things like earmarks and things like US foreign aid, which even on this there is a split among the Tea Party. Turns out, many in the Tea Party where all rhetorical sheep in establishment clothing.

As many discussions as you and I have butted heads on this, I hate to admit you were more right than I, but I still have my fingers crossed for the Paulian wing. If you are going to dream, might as well dream big.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,404 times
When has religious conservatism not been a focus of the Tea Party? Never.

This isn't something new. It's where they lost me, by the way - from the beginning.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,607,237 times
Quote:
Actually, it's not. It's the tea party turned even more to the right than they were before, and shifting away from economic issues being their primary focus toward social conservative issues as well. If that trend continues, I think they're going to have a HUGE impact on the next elections, but it may not be in favor of the republican party.
I agree. Theres a HUGE block of Independents- swing voters....who get ignored every four years...that trend seems to be increasing, esp. with a trashed economy.....the best candidate will have to address the economy, at this point...They cant pull the smokescreen like McSame did with Palin, causing a diversion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies