Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,226,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm pretty sure I can walk and chew gum at the same time. I'm guessing the Tea Party is able to multi-task, as well.
But I thought the tea party wasn't supposed to be a social conservative movement? You know--people from all walks of life coming together over the economy? My point is if they move into that arena, it's a big game changer for them. I'm sure you can walk and chew gum at the same time, but the bill of goods the tea party sold in the last election didn't have much to do with social conservative issues. My question is whether or not that will change the support they had among the electorate, and if it's going to either 1) force a huge split in the R party or 2) move the R party far right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,843,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
But I thought the tea party wasn't supposed to be a social conservative movement? You know--people from all walks of life coming together over the economy? My point is if they move into that arena, it's a big game changer for them. I'm sure you can walk and chew gum at the same time, but the bill of goods the tea party sold in the last election didn't have much to do with social conservative issues. My question is whether or not that will change the support they had among the electorate, and if it's going to either 1) force a huge split in the R party or 2) move the R party far right.
The mask of the tea party was they were some kind of grass roots, libertarian influenced group, but once beck, palin and the koch brothers got ahold of them, it's essentially transformed into an ultra-right religious extremist organization, with people of the like of angel and o'donnell. I think most voters will realize they have been had, or they will continue the rhetoric come election season and the people will keep obediently following.
I don't see a tea party candidate being a threat for now as the "good ol' boys" in the GOP like huckabee and romney are still the face of the party, but I wouldn't be surprised if the tea doesn't collapse, becomes the new face of the republicans in the next 10 years.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The mask of the tea party was they were some kind of grass roots, libertarian influenced group, but once beck, palin and the koch brothers got ahold of them, it's essentially transformed into an ultra-right religious extremist organization, with people of the like of angel and o'donnell. I think most voters will realize they have been had, or they will continue the rhetoric come election season and the people will keep obediently following.
I don't see a tea party candidate being a threat for now as the "good ol' boys" in the GOP like huckabee and romney are still the face of the party, but I wouldn't be surprised if the tea doesn't collapse, becomes the new face of the republicans in the next 10 years.
Here's my point though--if the tea party firmly controls the Republican party in Iowa, they're going to shift the questions and the debate far right there--not only on economic issues, but social issues as well. In order to win in Iowa or at least make a decent showing (how you do in Iowa plays a big role in raising money from big donors for the rest of your campaign--it's make it or break it time) they're going to have to take a hard right turn. Romney is going to have a tough time because of the health care bill in MA (what HCR was modeled after) and Huckabee isn't a hard economic conservative. Romney is also fairly moderate on social issues. I don't know if they can pull it off. That leaves the field open for a hard right candidate to carry Iowa, and it throws the entire R primary process into turmoil.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,872,318 times
Is this the same Tea Party that liberal idiots claimed would be gone by now? The same Tea Party that liberal idiots claimed wouldn't have any affect in the last election?

Is that the same Tea Party we're talking about?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 AM

46,382 posts, read 27,249,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Now that the Repubs are looking at $30 bil or less in cuts, the TPers are trying to find something of relevance to get behind.

30 billion in cuts is still better than 1.7 trillion in 7 months....added by obama

Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Is this the same Tea Party that liberal idiots claimed would be gone by now? The same Tea Party that liberal idiots claimed wouldn't have any affect in the last election?

Is that the same Tea Party we're talking about?
Actually, it's not. It's the tea party turned even more to the right than they were before, and shifting away from economic issues being their primary focus toward social conservative issues as well. If that trend continues, I think they're going to have a HUGE impact on the next elections, but it may not be in favor of the republican party.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM

46,382 posts, read 27,249,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
They don't want Obama to get credit for helping lower the deficit, so they want to focus on cultural issues. The next two years will be all about Republican posturing for the 2012 election. They don't care about anything else.
The deficit has been lowered?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
30 billion in cuts is still better than 1.7 trillion in 7 months....added by obama
Rand Paul, who really is a libertarian tea party member, doesn't seem real happy with the R's backtracking on their deficit reduction promises right about now.

Rand Paul: Republicans 'Aren't Maybe Brave Enough' to Tackle Deficit - ABC News

Old 02-04-2011, 11:20 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,993,738 times
Of course the Liberals don't like hearing that the Tea Party consists of at least 41% Democrats and Independents.

That wouldn't fit their "far right" delusions.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:23 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,993,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Rand Paul, who really is a libertarian tea party member, doesn't seem real happy with the R's backtracking on their deficit reduction promises right about now.

Rand Paul: Republicans 'Aren't Maybe Brave Enough' to Tackle Deficit - ABC News

It's a "big tent", so just because not every single person who's in the Tea Party and/or Republican doesn't march in lock step with each other means very little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies