Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,964,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
America's Oldest Enemy (Season 11, Episode 4) - Video Clips - South Park Studios

It's far worse than you think. But keep it on the down low.
I am trying to remember, will I need one lantern or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,274,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's all about political correctness. My state's schools are not integrated, except in the City of Philadelphia. You go to the school that is in your district. If an inner city student wants to attend a suburban school in my state, they either have to move to the suburbs, or pay the tuition to attend said school. There is no busing here, and our schools are rated much better than the Southern ones.
Oh, puleeze! Why is it necessary to lie?

I live in Montgomery County and my daughter went to a an exceedingly integrated school as to the kids in the three neighboring townships each of which has its own school district. But be that as it may, the Philadelphia School District is the school district for Philadelphia County and the City of Philadelphia since they are one in the same. The fact that the City doesn't have a "suburban" section is irrelevant to the discussion.

What we are discussion here is the Wale County School District which comprises not only the city of Raleigh but the surrounding suburbs as well. Designing a COUNTY WIDE plan for school integration, particularly in was formerly and segregated school system BY LAW, is not political correctness it is a plan to end not only de facto segregation but segregation de jure!

Quote:
The facts speak for themselves, no matter how politically incorrect it may be but liberals are going to have to suck it up and stop this insane policy that has failed to work for 50 years
Ah, no. The facts that speak for themselves is that separate is not equal and we are not going to sit idly for a return to the good old days, no matter how hard tea party, or any other rebranded segregationist group thinks.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,124,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Oh, puleeze! Why is it necessary to lie?

I live in Montgomery County and my daughter went to a an exceedingly integrated school as to the kids in the three neighboring townships each of which has its own school district. But be that as it may, the Philadelphia School District is the school district for Philadelphia County and the City of Philadelphia since they are one in the same. The fact that the City doesn't have a "suburban" section is irrelevant to the discussion.

What we are discussion here is the Wale County School District which comprises not only the city of Raleigh but the surrounding suburbs as well. Designing a COUNTY WIDE plan for school integration, particularly in was formerly and segregated school system BY LAW, is not political correctness it is a plan to end not only de facto segregation but segregation de jure!

Ah, no. The facts that speak for themselves is that separate is not equal and we are not going to sit idly for a return to the good old days, no matter how hard tea party, or any other rebranded segregationist group thinks.
Who's lying here? The schools here are not integrated, by busing. We don't have county-wide school districts in the state except in Philadelphia, and the kids from the west and north end of the city bring down the better schools in the northeast. Those kids just simply don't want to learn. I think you are taking what I said out of context by feeding words in my mouth that I want racial segregation. Then again, misquoting and making false arguments and assumptions are what liberals do best.

Our schools are de-facto segregated because we have local DISTRICTS. The racial population of the school is decided by who lives in said district, and I think that's a much better way to go about it. I don't believe in the liberal idea of equalizing quality of education by bringing down the good schools to the level of bad ones. That's what busing accomplishes, and why the School District of Philadelphia is a huge mess. That's what liberal results always accomplish. You'd rather bring down everyone in the name of equality, than accept the reality that some kids will always do better than others, and you shouldn't get in the way of their talent by bringing in kids that DON'T want to learn. And let's face it. A lot of these inner city kids are not dumb, that's not their problem. Their problem is THEY DON'T WANT TO LEARN. That's why I think it's a great idea, an even better idea actually than what Wake County and Lancaster, PA are doing; segregate kids based on academic achievement and will of learning. That way, the kids that just want to goof off all day don't bother the kids that come to school to learn the best they can. Why keep wasting money on kids that don't want to learn? That is insane, and irresponsible! Some people will fall through the cracks, accept it and live with it, it's called life.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:10 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,949,449 times
Quote:
A lot of these inner city kids are not dumb, that's not their problem. Their problem is THEY DON'T WANT TO LEARN. That's why I think it's a great idea, an even better idea actually than what Wake County and Lancaster, PA are doing; segregate kids based on academic achievement and will of learning. That way, the kids that just want to goof off all day don't bother the kids that come to school to learn the best they can. Why keep wasting money on kids that don't want to learn? That is insane, and irresponsible! Some people will fall through the cracks, accept it and live with it, it's called life.
Your name is inaccurate, and your argument is such sickeningly cliched B.S. it makes me nauseous. I went to a poor, all-black inner city school, and the schools are such insane clusterf*cks that kids can't learn if they want to. This is an issue of systemic inequality which makes it significantly harder for kids to succeed. Children respond to the conditions around them. When a school resembles a prison more than a place of education, kids are not going to value education, and those who do will quickly become discouraged by the general lack of caring that has gone into their schools.

Poor communities with terrible school systems are going to remain poor, and to say such idiotic nonsense as "that's just life" is to serve as an apologist for a system which holds down the poor and completely subverts the meritocratic ideal of America.

Jim Crow used to be just "life" for many people. Luckily most people aren't so narrow-minded that they think the status quo is permanent.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 PM

4,006 posts, read 10,896,834 times
I live in Wake County, attended the schools here from k-12 and currently have kids in Wake County Schools. This issue has been severely misconstrued both locally and nationally. The only accomplishment of busing was averaging out the individual school test scores so the real problems could be swept under the rug. I will not advocate for sending my kid on a bus an hour each way so politicians and social engineers can feel better about themselves. Neighborhood schools is the norm in this country anyway. We were one of the few areas that did it differently, and many of us came to the conclusion that it was not helping anything. If that leads to an increase in segregation the problem would be with us adults not choosing to live in a diversified manner. That is not a school system issue.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,124,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Your name is inaccurate, and your argument is such sickeningly cliched B.S. it makes me nauseous. I went to a poor, all-black inner city school, and the schools are such insane clusterf*cks that kids can't learn if they want to. This is an issue of systemic inequality which makes it significantly harder for kids to succeed. Children respond to the conditions around them. When a school resembles a prison more than a place of education, kids are not going to value education, and those who do will quickly become discouraged by the general lack of caring that has gone into their schools.

Poor communities with terrible school systems are going to remain poor, and to say such idiotic nonsense as "that's just life" is to serve as an apologist for a system which holds down the poor and completely subverts the meritocratic ideal of America.

Jim Crow used to be just "life" for many people. Luckily most people aren't so narrow-minded that they think the status quo is permanent.
And guess what? Every year politicians keep crying "more money for education! We need to invest more in education!" Guess what the reality is? We HAVE been investing more and more in education, with NO results. Test scores have been stagnant even since the DOE was created. I prefer not to dig my head in the sand and pretend that everything is fine, that life is full of sunshine, lollypops, and rainbows, and all it needs is just more funding. More funding isn't doing anything. Blame the parents who don't know how to raise kids right, blame the useless fathers that impregnate a girl and then run off or end up in prison. More money isn't the solution! You need to change the inner city culture and you keep burying your head in the sand and think that I'm being racist (I'm Hispanic anyway! Not that it matters) for pointing the obvious out

Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,949,449 times
Quote:
And guess what? Every year politicians keep crying "more money for education! We need to invest more in education!" Guess what the reality is? We HAVE been investing more and more in education, with NO results. Test scores have been stagnant even since the DOE was created. I prefer not to dig my head in the sand and pretend that everything is fine, that life is full of sunshine, lollypops, and rainbows, and all it needs is just more funding. More funding isn't doing anything. Blame the parents who don't know how to raise kids right, blame the useless fathers that impregnate a girl and then run off or end up in prison. More money isn't the solution! You need to change the inner city culture and you keep burying your head in the sand and think that I'm being racist (I'm Hispanic anyway! Not that it matters) for pointing the obvious out
More blithering from someone who wants to speak about issues they clearly know nothing about. First, note that I never called you racist, nor would you being Hispanic preclude you from being racist. You're just wrong, in my opinion.

I never stated that money was the only answer to problems of education, I attacked your B.S. about "that's just life," which you haven't responded to, only evaded. The "culture of poverty" nonsense is played out and frankly quite meaningless. Some people don't give a sh*t. That's a fact. The point is that we don't give even those who want to succeed the chance, and the system is built around breeding this kind of apathy and then providing punishment, not opportunity.

Keep deluding yourself that poor people are just poor because they are lazy and have no morals, the rest of us with sense will recognize that some people are poor because they are lazy and have no morals, and some people are poor because they are put into a situation where they have a much smaller chance of success.

Anyways, back to your new argument, which is just as shallow as what you were saying before. Throwing money at schools doesn't work when you don't fix the right things in a school, nor did I suggest that it did; education reform is about a lot more than new books and a shiny new gym, thanks, I know that. Cities think they can fix the inequalities in the educational system without addressing issues of class size, teacher quality, pedagogical strategies and so on. And it takes time.

At the end of the day, this has nothing to do with what we're talking about, it just means that we need to take education reform more seriously. Blaming the people in the community does no good towards that end, but I guess if it makes you feel superior it's a nice little rush.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:56 AM

78,860 posts, read 47,010,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Well, there are quite a large number who never moved away from the Articles of Confederation and some who still fondly remember the good ole days of Mississippi in the early 60s'(Barbour).

In the 60's with the schools the way they were, we were not as ignorant in our education of all children.

Our kids learned more back then.

Today they barely learn a thing, if your in a Progressive metropolitan city.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,964,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In the 60's with the schools the way they were, we were not as ignorant in our education of all children.

Our kids learned more back then.

Today they barely learn a thing, if your in a Progressive metropolitan city.
You are correct. I went to school in that era, in Michigan however, and yes we learned a great deal in school. I was fortunate enough to experience a more integrated system, yet still had to struggle with learning to overcome the societal biases that were prevalent there. Those who were taught their human ethics in areas that were much less inclined to think of other people, as people, were at a distinct disadvantage and naturally have a harder time dealing with it today. My education was in no way degraded by integration, quite the opposite. The quality of education has more to do with resources and teachers, plus the support of family.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 AM

31,312 posts, read 20,901,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I think the idea is to go back to the days of Articles of Confederation. Some appear intent on going back past 1776 as well.
Nationally, our school system is NOT working. It's a federal government led failure.

We should go backwards.... at least to the point where we totally remove the federal government from schools.

The federal government has no business (or expertise, or successful track record) telling us how to educate our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies