Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:25 PM

38,348 posts, read 22,340,644 times

Advertisements

Is Jon Stewart Good for the GOP?

Yes, Jon Stewart is a gift to the GOP, i hope everyone of you democrats go to this "Rally to Restore Sanity" or the "Keep Fear Alive" rally, especially in the areas where we have close political races.

Stewartpalooza is happening the weekend before the critical congressional elections. It will suck up plenty of media attention -- and resources. Think of all the people who will be coming -- and the time and money it will take them to plan the trip and to travel to and from the nation's capital. These folks are likely to be more sympathetic to Democrats than Republicans, despite Stewart's skewer-'em-all approach. So if the pro-sanity crowd is packing bags and heading to Washington on the last weekend prior to the elections, these people won't be knocking on doors or making phone calls to get out the vote for Democratic candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 03:46 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,225,670 times
They're doing political parody? And this is a problem because....?

I missed the last part of your post--I promise, the people who would normally be phone banking and door knocking AREN'T going to be at the rally. The rally will be mainly kids...

Have you ever made calls or done door knocking? I'm 50 and I'm one of the younger ones . It's something traditionally done by retirees...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,728,506 times
I definitely see how it could potentially hurt Democrats in the election. I'm reminded of what happened during and after the Paul Wellstone rally following his death.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,337,600 times
I don't think it matters who he "helps" or "hurts". He is a comedian.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM

It'll only matter if it pulls away campaign volunteers from tight races in the immediate area, and I find that really unlikely. I highly doubt people from anywhere are going to fly in for this, unless they do it just to see a comedy performance--how many people travel to go see a show? It's not a political rally--it's entertainment. It's political parody.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 PM

387 posts, read 533,986 times
Stephen Colbert is creepy. He makes good points. But something is up with his eyes. Dark and cold.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 PM

22,231 posts, read 19,539,017 times
Actually if this has any impact I think its possible it will be a net positive for Democrats. I doubt many people who are highly involved with campaigns will choose the rally over campaigning, and this could help energize portions of the Dem base. Well educated 20 and 30 somethings are Stewart's base and those who are most likely to show up to the rally. They are also a key part of the Democratic base, and some concerns are whether or not they will turn out. Something like this although more comedic than political could help energize that base.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Actually if this has any impact I think its possible it will be a net positive for Democrats. I doubt many people who are highly involved with campaigns will choose the rally over campaigning, and this could help energize portions of the Dem base. Well educated 20 and 30 somethings are Stewart's base and those who are most likely to show up to the rally. They are also a key part of the Democratic base, and some concerns are whether or not they will turn out. Something like this although more comedic than political could help energize that base.
Very good point--I think you're probably right.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:28 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,339,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It'll only matter if it pulls away campaign volunteers from tight races in the immediate area, and I find that really unlikely. I highly doubt people from anywhere are going to fly in for this, unless they do it just to see a comedy performance--how many people travel to go see a show? It's not a political rally--it's entertainment. It's political parody.

The rally is the weekend of Halloween, not typically a time when campaign volunteers go door-to-door anyway or even man a phone bank. I would go if I could travel. I love both those guys but I don't think the rally will hurt or help the democrats.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:29 PM

38,348 posts, read 22,340,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I definitely see how it could potentially hurt Democrats in the election. I'm reminded of what happened during and after the Paul Wellstone rally following his death.
Hopefully this will not actually be a nasty political event, but then again, neither was the Wellstone rally.... err, I mean memorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies