Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like your tax refund put on a debit card ?
Yes, I would. 5 15.63%
I prefer a paper refund check. 9 28.13%
I don't get a refund this year. 5 15.63%
I made too much again and rarely get a refund. 3 9.38%
People should not get such big refund checks but instead use their money throughout the year by claiming higher exemption status . 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,460,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

I always wonder * why * they don't have a bank account ?

I got one when I was in high school.....
It probably goes back to the era when banks charged 10 cents for every check they processed, plus a monthly fee to hold your money. People who have to live paycheck to paycheck preferred dealing in cash than paying the bank fees to receive and write checks.

Eventually, banks started offering "free checking", but then you had to pay to see a teller if you wanted to cash your check.

If you're someone who grew up without a checking account because of banking practices, you've probably learned to mistrust banks, and you've raised your children to feel the same way.
Quote:

My last employer it was direct deposit ( DD ) but it was a large corporation. I wonder if employers have to pay anything to the bank for the conveinance of you having your check DD ?
Yes.

Banks will figure out a way to make a buck off of every transaction they can squeeze one out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,679,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It probably goes back to the era when banks charged 10 cents for every check they processed, plus a monthly fee to hold your money. People who have to live paycheck to paycheck preferred dealing in cash than paying the bank fees to receive and write checks.

Eventually, banks started offering "free checking", but then you had to pay to see a teller if you wanted to cash your check.

If you're someone who grew up without a checking account because of banking practices, you've probably learned to mistrust banks, and you've raised your children to feel the same way. Yes.

Banks will figure out a way to make a buck off of every transaction they can squeeze one out of.
You're speaking of checking accounts ?
Not the same for a savings account and some even give you free money orders against your account.

We're two generations past those days though. Credit Unions are much more prevalent and open to the public as well..just belong to the PTA/PTO and one can join.

Maybe lack of education ? I see way too many lined up at the supermarket customer service area paying a fee to cash their checks.
Don't they realize those fees add up over time. Then they go and buy MO's and pay some more fees.

These are the last folks who can absorb paying fees to use their money.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,423,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Well, for one thing they provide insurance on your money up to $250,000 whereas there is no insurance with your money being hid in a mattress. I belong to a credit union that ends up being a lot more generous than any bank. Do you get paid under the table? I just don't understand why anyone would not deposit their money in a credit union or bank when they aren't taking your money and giving you back less. Please Explain.
I do not get paid under the table, that is the only reason I have a business account.

They just don't pay enough interest to bother.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,679,211 times
Just keep in mind..the less cash/checks and the more electronic "money" becomes the easier it becomes to control or regulate or ration.

Just remember that.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,907,629 times
Some people do not have bank accounts because they either owe the bank money for overdrawing their account and have been put on a national list and can't get an account until they pay back the bank, or they are in debt and at risk of having their money garnished from the bank. Perhaps many do not know that a bank will cash their Treasury check without an account.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,961,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I do not get paid under the table, that is the only reason I have a business account.

They just don't pay enough interest to bother.
But, it is extra money you didn't have in the beginning. I guess I don't understand the concept of not doing something that will get you extra money absolutely free. Who doesn't love having their balance grow even without constant deposits?

I didn't know that some people just couldn't get accounts in the first place...

Regardless, I may just be of a different generation. The interest rates may not be high, but I sure like paying bills without needing to get cashier checks, going on vacation without needing to get travelers checks or risking having my cash stolen, and I just like not having to go anywhere to cash any checks.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,961,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
People who get tax refunds are very poor at figuring their withholding. Why loan money to the government for free?

Never had a "debit card" and never intend to. Good point about the fees HappyTexan. Wonder if this is another "payback" to the banking industy?

Like your posts lifelongMOgal, but what is wrong with a debit card? I'm not talking about the one in this thread. I'm talking about debit cards in general. I use a debit card (checking account) and find it to be very convenient. Just curious, thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,761,263 times
Quote:
Would you like your tax refund put on a debit card ?

Next week, the Treasury Department will offer 600,000 "unbanked" Americans a debit card that can receive direct deposits.
When I have a refund, I usually get it direct deposited in my checking account, for which I mostly use the debit card anyway. And I'm pretty sure that, while I shouldn't owe anything, I won't have a refund either because I don't have anything withheld from either the pension or the SS. I'll have my tax adviser prepare a return to be sure, but probably won't have to file it.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,225,994 times
I'm guessing this is directed toward lower income Americans who don't have bank accounts. My understanding is that they have to pay a chunk of money to have checks cashed for them at one of those check cashing/quick loan centers. This makes complete sense for them. For anyone else, it doesn't. One of the issues in low income, urban neighborhoods (and lots of rural towns) is that they often don't have local bank branches there. If banks honor treasury checks anywhere without an account (someone said that here, I have no idea if that's true or not), it's not going to help them much if they have to travel to east Egypt to cash it. Even in small rural towns, some poor people (like seniors) are dependent on rides into a larger community, or do most of their shopping locally.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:17 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,030,953 times
if that means getting the money faster sure why not?

edit: clicked on wrong option in poll........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies