Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Yes. YOU, the random City-Data poster knows a lot about healthcare.

I still don't believe America has the BEST. It's good, it's not the BEST. It's better than Haiti. It's not THE BEST. You saying it is doesn't make it so. It sounds like Jingoism to me.

I asked you to support your statement, you didn't.

Here is my statement : America DOES NOT have the best healthcare system in the world.

And now I will support my statement.

WHO | World Health Organization Assesses the World's Health Systems

See how easy that was?

The World Health Organzation actually says we rank 37th. Not 1st. 37th.

Or course, you "know A LOT about healthcare" so we should just take your word for it.
The issue with health care in the US is not quality but accessibility. The WHO rankings are bunk and have been rightly criticized by many. It relies a lot on money spent and not outcomes. For a simplistic example we have 2 countries and each have 10 people with cancer. Country A spends $50 and five people survive, country B spends $1 and 1 person lives. With the way the WHO rankings are calculated country A is going to ranked below country B because they spent $10 per survivor instead of $1. Now I'll ask you which country do you want to get treated for cancer in?

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-06-2011 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:02 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,824,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The issue with health care in the US is not quality but accessibility. The WHO rankings are bunk and have been rightly criticized by many. It relies a lot on money spent and not outcomes. For a simplistic example we have 2 countries and each have 10 people with cancer. Country A spends $50 and five people survive, country B spends $1 and 1 person lives. With the way the WHO rankings are calculated country A is going to ranked below country B because they spent $10 per survivor instead of $1. Now I'll ask you which country do you want to get treated for cancer in?
Actually, it is both quality and accessibility. For example, almost 100 000 Americans die eatch year who would have survived if medical treatment in the USA hit the average first world qualty standard.

National Patient Safety Foundation: Unmet Needs

As for the WHO rankings, the thing is, pretty much all the different public health standards put the US somewhere in the 30s from the top in results. Which is not actually terrible, no-one can be best at everything. It is a passing grade.

What makes it bad is that the USA spends twice as much per person as the average forst world to get to that ranking in the top 30s. Which is a terrible return on each dollar spent. And the USA is spending 4 dollars on health care for each dollar spent on the military!

U.S. Health Care Costs: Background Brief - KaiserEDU.org, Health Policy Education from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

There is really no doubt that the USA is performing poorly on cost and quality. That is rather fundamental to the debate.

The issue is what to do to fix it. Everyone knows it needs fixing badly.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:00 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,876,611 times
Jetgraphics is right here- hes simply trying to explain why we're in this mess. Nothing can be done about national debt unless the whole monetary system is abholished. Left/right bickering about gov spending taxation etc. Is completely missing the real issue. Our monetary system is simply unsustainable, what we are currently witnessing is the begining of its collapse as goverments now can only inflate currency or default.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,856,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Once again, please back up your opinion with verifiable facts if you want me to believe you.

Who says that the World Health Organization is bunk? So far, just you. Is there anymore reliable source you can provide me, as I am not convinced.

Irregardless, I posted this to counter the poster who said "America is the best healthcare in the world!! AMERICAA!!! @#$#% YEAH!" Which is Jingoism and not fact. Do you agree with the poster that America has the best healthcare in the world?

If you do agree, then back it up please.

If you don't agree, then we are not at odds.

The healthcare system in America is broken, it needs fixing. Everyone who is too blinded by patriotism to see that is part of the problem. I don't care if America ranks 37th or 15th. We spend more to get less, and that is a bad formula. But we can't ever discuss the healthcare system in frank and honest terms because so many people are like "we are the best, we are the best." If we are the best, what is there to discuss?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM

352 posts, read 187,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
GOP-led health repeal would ‘explode the deficit,’ Dems warn

We have threads on Dems warning the right not to raise the debt ceiling or it will be a catastrophe.

Now the Dems are warning the right the repealing ObamaCare would explode the debt.

Isn't that what they want? The debt has already exploded under their control in the last 4 years.

All politics, no common sense.
When you see the mouth of a Democrat moving, you know one of three things are happening.

1. They are eating
2. They are lying
3. They are plotting against America and/or the freedom and prosperity of Americans.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
LOL..so passing Obamacare would explode the budget.
Now repealing Obamacare would explode the budget.

I think the budget is going to explode no matter which way this goes.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,856,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
When you see the mouth of a Democrat moving, you know one of three things are happening.

1. They are eating
2. They are lying
3. They are plotting against America and/or the freedom and prosperity of Americans.
LOL< yes. No partisanship here.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM

4,568 posts, read 4,114,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Just for the record: We went into debt in 2002 - under Republican control of the entire federal government. I'm amazed that so many Republican partisans forget this fact.
Republicans have selective memories, just like the Democrats.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,626,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Just for the record: We went into debt in 2002 - under Republican control of the entire federal government. I'm amazed that so many Republican partisans forget this fact.
Does that absolve the democrat congress of any responsibility in the matter? I'm certainly not suggesting the GOP is innocent. Both parties need to cut spending now or we're going to be in a lot of trouble very shortly.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM

352 posts, read 187,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
LOL< yes. No partisanship here.
I never claimed non-partisanship.

I have been anti-Democrat for decades!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies