Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 05:12 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I really wish people would stop equating all Christians with the far right haters. I'm a devout Christian and a strong advocate for the repeal of DADT. Why is it that even those who are intelligent enough to know that generalizing about other groups of people is wrong think that generalizing about Christians is perfectly okay?
I'm not generalizing about Christians, I'm pointing out the partnership between the GOP and the evangelical community. The truth is that the GOP are in cahoots this group, and their ideology is for the most part anti-gay. The GOP often, stubbornly so, push for legislation, or run on campaign promises to appease the more conservative branch of Christians. Now you may not be anti gay, but that does not mean the leaders of these particular groups who are chummy with the GOP aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:13 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Maybe thats why his opinion should be taken seriously. The rest of congress just wants to score political points with gay rights groups
as you would be so quick to point out, gays and lesbians make up only 2-3% of the US population. why would any Republican politician want to kowtow to them if only 25-33% of that minority actually support them? doesn't it occur to you that perhaps these politicians just wanted to be on the right side of history and do the right thing for the country? Now that's one less thing that they have to argue about.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Then why was there 70% support among evangelists, of all people, for the repeal of DADT and allowing openly gay people to serve?

Federal Eye - Most back repealing 'don't ask, don't tell,' poll says
Frankie says "Relax" ^^

Old 12-18-2010, 05:16 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Then why was there 70% support among evangelists, of all people, for the repeal of DADT and allowing openly gay people to serve?

Federal Eye - Most back repealing 'don't ask, don't tell,' poll says
Well that is certainly good news. Let's hope when the topic of gay marriage comes up again these percentages will remain the same. Otherwise I would have to believe that Christians think that it's Ok for gays to die for their country, but marriage is somehow not ok.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:52 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,786,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And what will the effect be?

Here's my prediction:

1) A drop in recruiting.
2) A loss of unit conhesiveness where it's needed most.
3) A lot more "friendly fire" casualties on the battlefield.

Just south of here and a few screws loose too, I would say.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 PM

858 posts, read 708,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It basically means nothing. Gays were there before the DADT, and they're there now.

When the first lawsuit is filed, we'll know how effective and beneficial this action was.

I disagree. This repeal means everything. There are openly gay people in high school and college. If that person wanted to go into the military before today, they would not be allowed in. Now it doesn't matter

Old 12-18-2010, 05:58 PM

749 posts, read 1,317,415 times
As a North Carolinian, I give major props to Senator Richard Burr. Thank you sir. Great News!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:01 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,987,291 times
So now the whole navy is out of the closet? ba da bump...

Two thoughts.

1. The law was stupid.

2. The new one is stupider.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
it is time this happened!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:05 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well that is certainly good news. Let's hope when the topic of gay marriage comes up again these percentages will remain the same. Otherwise I would have to believe that Christians think that it's Ok for gays to die for their country, but marriage is somehow not ok.

I am a Christian and I have no problem with gay folks getting married to each other
there, happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies