Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,377,886 times

Advertisements

The last three weeks I have traveled about, taking the pulse of the more forgotten areas of central California. I wanted to witness, even if superficially, what is happening to a state that has the highest sales and income taxes, the most lavish entitlements, the near-worst public schools (based on federal test scores), and the largest number of illegal aliens in the nation, along with an overregulated private sector, a stagnant and shrinking manufacturing base, and an elite environmental ethos that restricts commerce and productivity without curbing consumption.

Two Californias - Victor Davis Hanson - National Review Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,486,979 times
Frightening.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,776 times
The article in it's self is very misleading, other than this brief statement about water issues:

Quote:
On the western side of the Central Valley, the effects of arbitrary cutoffs in federal irrigation water have idled tens of thousands of acres of prime agricultural land, leaving thousands unemployed
Few urbanites understand about how farming works, in CA, there has been fights over water since the 1930's (anyone remember the movie Chinatown? it was about water rights and based on fact). No water rights no farming.

Those "idle acres of prime ag land" is a very misleading statement, for decades farmers have fought to keep their water from going to urban California and have lost and what the author is seeing is the result of loosing their water rights. I've seen plenty of programs about this on RFDTV, something most non farmers would never watch. California is an aird state, so ANY farming needs irrigation.

Soooo, if the author and the rest of urban Cali is ready to give back the water they've taken and live with sever water restrictions, farms would flurish again.

California is not the only western state this is happening to.

CENSORED NEWS: Serious Risk: Navajo Nation Water Rights

Essay on Native American Environmental Issues

I'm only listing these two issues because I'm more familiar with my ndn sisters and brothers who've been loosing their water rights for decades.

It's happening all over the west, to satisfy the burgeoning urban growth.

As far as the poor living in these decimated areas, where else are they supposed to go? Rodeo Drive???? The poor always end up in the crap areas.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:48 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,026,295 times
Not surprising considering California has 12% of the U.S. population and over 30% of its welfare recipients and chose to ignore the welfare reform that helps wean people off of welfare, not to mention the huge illegal immigration population and all the drains on the system that that brings.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:23 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
The article in it's self is very misleading, other than this brief statement about water issues:

Few urbanites understand about how farming works, in CA, there has been fights over water since the 1930's (anyone remember the movie Chinatown? it was about water rights and based on fact). No water rights no farming.

Those "idle acres of prime ag land" is a very misleading statement, for decades farmers have fought to keep their water from going to urban California and have lost and what the author is seeing is the result of loosing their water rights. I've seen plenty of programs about this on RFDTV, something most non farmers would never watch. California is an aird state, so ANY farming needs irrigation.

Soooo, if the author and the rest of urban Cali is ready to give back the water they've taken and live with sever water restrictions, farms would flurish again. California is not the only western state this is happening to.
umm.. the author doesn't live in 'urban Cali.' did you miss this part?

Quote:
"My own farmhouse is now in an area of abject poverty and almost no ethnic diversity; the closest elementary school (my alma mater, two miles away) is 94 percent Hispanic and 1 percent white, and well below federal testing norms in math and English."
the author's family has been growing grapes for several generations.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,955 times
I thought about moving to California once or twice. I think I'll find some place else!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:38 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,293,821 times
This is what happens from Boxer's war on farmers. There is a concerted effort in this country to strip us of our ability to feed ourselves. When you get to the point where your food is mostly imported, the government can cut it off at any time. To hell with the smelts, California needs cheap water.

Last edited by jimhcom; 12-16-2010 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies