Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,317,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'd be interested in knowing what that farm was worth cuz it must've been ONE HELL of a farm considering how high the exemption is.
The exemption isnt really that high. One building can easily exceed the limits. Farms are priced high because of the acres needed to do farming. The land is expensive because you cant find large tracks of land left for development.

There is one for sale in California for example with just 25 acres, priced at $12M
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,114,507 times
It's not double taxation, it government THEFT!

Weiner is the perfect example of the stupidity and insanity of the left. Kelly toasted that Weiner.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,178,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
of course it is double taxation.
Does the inheritor pay twice on the income, no. In fact depending upon the what is being inherited, life insurance for example, it may have never been taxed before.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM

5,340 posts, read 6,550,743 times
Quote:
Which i'm sure is the dream of some people around here.
Yes the American Dream

Work hard play by the rules and enjoy YOUR REWARDS

Wealth redistribution is the destruction of wealth. If you work hard, succeed and make an income that hits some kind of arbitrary level, you are expected then to kick that back to the government so that the public sector can then make sure that those who perhaps have not worked hard or succeeded get an income, too.

Liberals seem to have an inferiority complex - and it's fully justified. !

Old 12-14-2010, 10:02 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,986,157 times
Most taxation is effectively double taxation. When I pay sales tax, the money I use to buy the article has already been taxed. When I make an investment and pay capital gains, the money I used to make the investment has already been taxed. Inheritance tax is far from unique in being a double tax.

So, the question is whether inheritance tax is grossly unfair compared to other double taxes. Like many people, I don't like tax even tough I recognize that its a necessary evil. I think that inheritance tax bothers me less than other forms of double taxation because I won't be the one having to pay it.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
New gains, of course. If you didn't earn it yourself, then you should pay tax on it with few exceptions. Hell, there isn't a dollar in circulation (ok...maybe a hot one off the printing press) that hasn't been taxed as earnings for somebody. If we exempted every dollar that has already had tax payed on it, we'd collect no taxes. Which i'm sure is the dream of some people around here.
So what you are saying is that I should continue to buy things under land trusts and investment trusts and then assign my children as the trustees to them, even though I have control, in order to avoid having the assets I've acquired my whole life ripped off of them upon my death?

We tax income in this country. I'm not sure if me leaving assets to my kids would qualify as income. If it is income, then why the exemption? Why shouldnt EVERYONE have to pay the estate tax? I know, its because they set the limits so high to make sure a minority pay the tax because if everyone paid it, you would understand how much of a rip off it is..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Most taxation is effectively double taxation. When I pay sales tax, the money I use to buy the article has already been taxed.
Yes but sales tax goes to the state, and its a consumption tax, not on profits..
Quote:
When I make an investment and pay capital gains, the money I used to make the investment has already been taxed. Inheritance tax is far from unique in being a double tax.
In order for this comparison to be valid, this would be the same as
Investing $100,000 in a deal, and then when you earn $10,000 profit, you pay taxes on the $110,000 TOTAL, not just the profit, because thats what this is. You arent taxing profit, you are taxing assets..
Quote:
So, the question is whether inheritance tax is grossly unfair compared to other double taxes. Like many people, I don't like tax even tough I recognize that its a necessary evil. I think that inheritance tax bothers me less than other forms of double taxation because I won't be the one having to pay it.
At least you are honest, it doesnt bother you because it doesnt affect you. It wont affect me either but it does bother me to invest $x, and profit $y, and then be taxed on $x + $y.. seems grossly unfair..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,143,728 times
Quote:

Right, b/c liberals generally don't give a rat's patoot about things that don't affect them, unless we're talking about the poor, in which case they feel justified in stealing from the rich. I've never met a liberal who met a tax he didn't like...mostly b/c it doesn't affect him...again, with the exception of taxing the poor their fair share.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM

31,384 posts, read 37,178,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
in order to avoid having the assets I've acquired my whole life ripped off of them upon my death?
Uh... death ripped you off from your assets.

When those assets are reassigned to another, they are being taxed on their increased wealth, not yours.

By the way, Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie are poster children for an increase in the inheritance tax.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,344,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post

Liberals seem to have an inferiority complex - and it's fully justified. !
LMAOOOOO!! Inferior to who? YOU? Don't flatter yourself.

I mean seriously, if someone is going to make me feel inferior, it would be Bill Gates or Warren Buffett.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-14-2010 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies