Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
And already we see the negative impact it has had on business and individuals? Over a 100 waivers the WH has given because if they didn't THOUSANDS would lose their HC.

Also this.

AT&T sees $1 billion write-down tied to health law - MarketWatch

The AT&T /quotes/comstock/13*!t/quotes/nls/t (T 28.55, +0.27, +0.95%) write-down is the largest reported so far. Caterpillar /quotes/comstock/13*!cat/quotes/nls/cat (CAT 88.62, +1.17, +1.34%) this week recorded a $100 million charge in the first quarter and Deere & Co. /quotes/comstock/13*!de/quotes/nls/de (DE 78.35, +0.05, +0.06%) said it will report a one-time $150 million expense. See previous story on industries that say warn health reform will cost them.
Among its many changes, the new health-care law eliminated a tax deduction that companies used to cut the cost of drug-benefit programs for retired workers. President Obama signed the massive health-care overhaul into law earlier this week in a big victory for ruling Democrats."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
There are still a lot of minefields in the recovery. Bonds, health care, the fate of China and other world problems such as Korea and Iran. I still think there is going to be more pain in housing. If interest rates go up (and they have been) that's gonna kill any housing recovery.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,389 times
The United States is bankrupt or will be and the economy is not recovering. Debt saturation is killing the whole planet.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Second, increasing spending and cutting taxes was exactly the same thing the Republicans did as a stimulus under Bush. In fact, the Obama tax cuts in the stimulus were bigger than those under president Bush. Let's face it, the parties aren't all that different from each other. They both talk big and deliver very little.
Someone needs to inform you that Obama has passed over $600B in NEW tax increases while he cut $350B or so in other taxes.

If you are good at math, maybe you can tell me what the net tax cut was?

hint, there wasnt one.. its a $250B INCREASE

Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
I'm sure scenes like this are playing out all over the nation as people struggle to make ends meet. Some recovery;

Heating Bill Assistance Funds Quickly Depleted - Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta

Quote:
MARIETTA, Ga. -- A Marietta nonprofit group that helps people pay energy bills was forced to turn away dozens of people after it ran out of funding.

The Tallatoona Action Partnership opened its doors Wednesday to find hundreds of people -- some who had spent the night in the parking lot -- waiting in line for assistance.
Yep, things are looking up in the obama economy.

Haven't you heard OP, the revisions to next year's GDP have gone steadily downward and the experts don't expect the UE rate to move much at all in 2011/2012.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,934,385 times
Quote:
While the usual right wing blowhards are employing every bit of hyperbole they can muster to tell you about the end of the world, the economy has been improving and we've got good news coming in from all over the place.
Hyperbole? No, just FACTS.

I'm sure by now you've seen the dismal jobs numbers, but here's some more good economic news.

Manufacturing orders fall 0.9% in October, durable goods down 3.4% « Hot Air

Manufacturing orders fall 0.9% in October, durable goods down 3.4%

Epic thread fail.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hyperbole? No, just FACTS.

I'm sure by now you've seen the dismal jobs numbers, but here's some more good economic news.

Manufacturing orders fall 0.9% in October, durable goods down 3.4% « Hot Air

Manufacturing orders fall 0.9% in October, durable goods down 3.4%

Epic thread fail.

Which was better than the 1.3% decline everyone expected.

Why didn't you highlight the 2.1% increase in September? Didn't fit your agenda I guess

Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Which was better than the 1.3% decline everyone expected.

Why didn't you highlight the 2.1% increase in September? Didn't fit your agenda I guess
Why didn't you highlight that the jobs report showed 101K less jobs created last month than economists forcasted? Didn't fit your agenda?

Sales are rising for a couple of reasons. Among them are that those who still have some money are buying big ticket items now before the threatened national sales tax is imposed and/or hyper-inflation along with higher gas taxes. Why pay more later while the value of the dollars in your savings account are shrinking now?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why didn't you highlight that the jobs report showed 101K less jobs created last month than economists forcasted? Didn't fit your agenda?
No, I think the point is that there are a number of different reports coming out. Some are positive and some less so. For example, another report issued today was the Institute for Supply Management's November index on manufacturing activity which rose to 55.0, beating expectations. It was 54.3 the month prior.

Overall, the trend seems to be positive showing recovery but not a strong recovery. I just think its a shame when people seize on individual reports for the purpose of point scoring rather than taking a more holistic view.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
No, I think the point is that there are a number of different reports coming out. Some are positive and some less so. For example, another report issued today was the Institute for Supply Management's November index on manufacturing activity which rose to 55.0, beating expectations. It was 54.3 the month prior.

Overall, the trend seems to be positive showing recovery but not a strong recovery. I just think its a shame when people seize on individual reports for the purpose of point scoring rather than taking a more holistic view.
I would agree. All reports reflect the past and not a future where taxation levels in a number of areas remain a huge question mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies