Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,650,756 times

Advertisements

A lifeline at stake - Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,262,237 times
Well....

First. I feel like the problem is that our country doesn't encourage entrepreneuralism. Our entire country has become centered on 'finding an employer'. Insurance is attached to an employer, then you got a gazillion restrictions against free enterprise, entrepreneurship, etc.

What I'd like to see is these guys able to open up a Key Kiosk or pretty much ANY kind of business they want ANYWHERE they want. Bring their little business ideas to residential neighborhoods, etc.

But, our country is so focused on corporate wealth, and corporations providing insurance. We've failed to think outside the corporate box. So when a person loses his job, we assume the government must take care of them if a corporation can't.

Whatever happened to being creative and opening up basic services and small business owned and run by the same person? I'd like to see an era where this couple would be encouraged to start a business, rather than expected to either work at a company or receive government handouts.

(By the way, I'm not a Republican - so hope people who disagree with me, don't just throw a bunch of anti-Republican comments).

Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,914,078 times
Default Making Decisions In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
By calculation, this man appears to be in his mid 70's. By this
time in you life your house should be paid for. If you income
cannot support a car payment, buy a used car. If you have
no money saved for bad times, perhaps you mismanaged your
last 50 years of life. If you have credit card debt, perhaps you
should not buy things you cannot afford. I don't mean to be cold
hearted but I see people living beyond their means all the time
and now we should bail them out? I paid my dues by shopping
in thrift stores, buying used, or very basic (cheap) automobiles,
cutting coupons out of news papers etc. If you are not willing to
make compromises and save $ in your "youth" then you will pay for this decision
later in life, this is very basic and obvious observation.
sk

Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,495,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
By calculation, this man appears to be in his mid 70's. By this
time in you life your house should be paid for. If you income
cannot support a car payment, buy a used car. If you have
no money saved for bad times, perhaps you mismanaged your
last 50 years of life. If you have credit card debt, perhaps you
should not buy things you cannot afford. I don't mean to be cold
hearted but I see people living beyond their means all the time
and now we should bail them out? I paid my dues by shopping
in thrift stores, buying used, or very basic (cheap) automobiles,
cutting coupons out of news papers etc. If you are not willing to
make compromises and save $ in your "youth" then you will pay for this decision
later in life, this is very basic and obvious observation.
sk
You make a very valid point about personal fiscal responsibility. Every individual should make financial decisions based on good planning for the future, not fulfilling every unrealistic wish and desire.
However, just as an individual has that responsibility, so does the business world. It has become very fashionable for big business to maximize profits at the expense of the average worker while the upper levels of management have no accountability but reap all the rewards. The fact that is often ignored is that business would not be able to function without public services and workers. Therefore, business should also plan and function with a social conscience. Pleasing shareholders should not be the first priority. Generating a reasonable profit is a valid goal but should be balanced with reinvesting in the general society. Sooo, when corporate America decides to outsource and cut jobs just to maximize profits, causing massive unemployment, that is just as irresponsible as the individual who goes out and buys an LCD TV or an SUV while having trouble paying a mortgage.
Buuuut, the individual cannot hire a lobbyist so they lose out. Sadly, a city like Las Vegas is a prime example of corporate greed gone wild.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
However, just as an individual has that responsibility, so does the business world. It has become very fashionable for big business to maximize profits at the expense of the average worker while the upper levels of management have no accountability but reap all the rewards.
Yep, I think that is one of my biggest issues with this Republican/Democratic either/or scenerio we have.

Republicans believe that Corporations need to provide EVERYTHING from cradle to grave - from healthcare, old age, etc. When the reality is that they simply cannot.

Democrats believe that government should.

When in reality, we need to get independent from both! Stand on our own without relying on either.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 AM

355 posts, read 870,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Jonathan,

Does the government not have a responsibility to us as taxpayers to make sure that new spending is funded appropriately? All the Republicans are asking for is that if the benefits are extended for the unemployed, that they be funded by tax cuts somewhere else. It is called fiscal responsibility. Why should the entire country go into debt further to provide assistance to a relative minority? These same people have been milking their benefits for many months, if not years, now. It is time to take off the training wheels and let them stand on their own two feet. If Ernie has to go back to Arkansas, tough! That is life and life ain't fair. Anyway, he appears old enough to get Social Security so maybe that will help him.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM

34 posts, read 98,447 times
TigerBeer:

"When in reality, we need to get independent from both! Stand on our own without relying on either."

Now let's talk about the real world. Your comment suggests that we all should be, perhaps, entrepreneurs and not rely on either the corporate world or the government for a living wage or our financial and social well being.

In the real world, we all do -- and by necessity, must -- rely at some point to varying degrees on either of these two. That is the real world.

Unless you can give me an example of someone able to go through life totally independent of either corporations or the government. Your argument is pie-in-the-sky wishful (maybe Libertarian) thinking and has no basis in fact or reality.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline May View Post
TigerBeer:

"When in reality, we need to get independent from both! Stand on our own without relying on either."

Now let's talk about the real world. Your comment suggests that we all should be, perhaps, entrepreneurs and not rely on either the corporate world or the government for a living wage or our financial and social well being.

In the real world, we all do -- and by necessity, must -- rely at some point to varying degrees on either of these two. That is the real world.

Unless you can give me an example of someone able to go through life totally independent of either corporations or the government. Your argument is pie-in-the-sky wishful (maybe Libertarian) thinking and has no basis in fact or reality.
I basically take the argument based on healthcare. Republicans assume that everyone must work for the right corporation to be worthy of healthcare. Democrats tie healthcare into government.

Personally, why not just separate healthcare from either corporations/government. Just simply have everything AT COST for the true worth of the medicine or medical services. That way no one is absolutely required to find the perfect corporation to get healthcare.

The other that I don't like is our government strongly discourages private enterprise, mom-and-pop businesses, etc. You simply cannot afford healthcare for yourself or your employees with the current system. So we funnel people away from being creative and attempting business ideas, and lead them into finding the right corporate employer to provide all their needs instead.

I agree that government and corporations are a fundamental part of our lives. But I just don't like that basically either Democrats or Republicans try to push ALL responsibility for our welfare onto either one or the other.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 12-01-2010 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 AM

..and as to ERNIE from ARKANSAS...

With his look and appearance, he certainly did well in the wife department. She seems like she must have been quite a looker in her day, and still somewhat is.

I think Ernie needs to either develop other skills - why not truck driving or start a burger joint. Why is that he comes to Nevada, and can't find the right corporation to work for, that the government is than expected to give him free money instead. What happened to people being creative and finding other ways besides just a corporation or the government to provide them money?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 AM

844 posts, read 2,105,170 times
Democrats are the reason we are in this mess. I guess MacGeek loves watching people suffer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies