Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:09 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

I have no problem talking to Republicans that are wealthy. I understand why they vote Republican. They will get to keep 3% more of their money unless the Bush tax cuts are extended. It does not do any good trying to convince a greedy person to give up some of their money.

But how do you talk to people who vote directly against their own interest by voting Republicans, 98% of us.

The inclination is just to call them stupid. That really gets you know where...you are elitist if you call a stupid person stupid. How do you overcome the sheer amount of disinformation they receive from Limbaugh and Fox every single day. The wealthy just have a much better propaganda machine. Information is power and they control it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have no problem talking to Republicans that are wealthy. I understand why they vote Republican. They will get to keep 3% more of their money unless the Bush tax cuts are extended. It does not do any good trying to convince a greedy person to give up some of their money.

But how do you talk to people who vote directly against their own interest by voting Republicans, 98% of us.

The inclination is just to call them stupid. That really gets you know where...you are elitist if you call a stupid person stupid. How do you overcome the sheer amount of disinformation they receive from Limbaugh and Fox every single day. The wealthy just have a much better propaganda machine. Information is power and they control it.

I'm sorry but anyone who places that much stock in what Beck and Limbaugh say are not interested in having a discussion or opening their mind to you. They are not stupid, they know it's misinformation but they don't care. They repeat the same lies over and over again, no matter how many times you present the facts. They will call you a liar. They wil lie about the president and call him a liar in the same sentence.

They believe that they are right about everything (just read the threads on the forum). They don't believe in compromise or debate with anyone who does not think exactly the way they do. This is evident with what we've been hearing lately from Republican Congress men/women.

They believe that the majority of the country thinks like them and that everyone else is on the fringe. Although this is not true, even if it were, it still doesn't justify the spreading of lies and smear campaigns that have become commonplace among the far right. At one time the majority of Germany was Nazis. With all of that said, there are Republicans that are capable of holding an intelligent conversation or debate but the far right Fox News cronies are a lost cause.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I'm sorry but anyone who places that much stock in what Beck and Limbaugh say are not interested in having a discussion or opening their mind to you. They are not stupid, they know it's misinformation but they don't care. They repeat the same lies over and over again, no matter how many times you present the facts. They will call you a liar. They wil lie about the president and call him a liar in the same sentence.

They believe that they are right about everything (just read the threads on the forum). They don't believe in compromise or debate with anyone who does not think exactly the way they do. This is evident with what we've been hearing lately from Republican Congress men/women.

They believe that the majority of the country thinks like them and that everyone else is on the fringe. Although this is not true, even if it were, it still doesn't justify the spreading of lies and smear campaigns that have become commonplace among the far right. At one time the majority of Germany was Nazis. With all of that said, there are Republicans that are capable of holding an intelligent conversation or debate but the far right Fox News cronies are a lost cause.
Well I hope CD is not indicative of the Republican party. The people here go and watch O'Reilly or Hannity and then parrot the information on the forum. Hope is lost unless we can have at least 10% see the light. I just don't know how to accomplish that.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
The liberal mindset in this country is the biggest problem today. Not one person from the left has been able to discuss and debate the actual points that the moderates and conservatives have made about the actions and policies of the current administration. They can't because they know that Obama is the single worst president in the history of the country and his policies have failed and are actually making things worse. Unemployment is just one example. So all the left can do is start name calling, which is exactly what has happened.

This is why the left only gets a brief bit of power and then the country snaps back to reality and votes in a moderate or conservative and just plain common sense.

When Democrats use conservative language to promote their agenda, it ultimately creates more support for Republicans.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
I see no need to talk to Republicans when there are millions of Democrats and independents to choose from. I respect that Republicans have a different philosophy about politics and how society should operate, but that doesn't mean I have to be friends with them.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 11-05-2010 at 11:47 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
The liberal mindset in this country is the biggest problem today. Not one person from the left has been able to discuss and debate the actual points that the moderates and conservatives have made about the actions and policies of the current administration. They can't because they know that Obama is the single worst president in the history of the country and his policies have failed and are actually making things worse. Unemployment is just one example. So all the left can do is start name calling, which is exactly what has happened.

This is why the left only gets a brief bit of power and then the country snaps back to reality and votes in a moderate or conservative and just plain common sense.

When Democrats use conservative language to promote their agenda, it ultimately creates more support for Republicans.
Well one thing that we can agree on is the last sentence. The politicians really hammered in the last election were blue dog democrats. The more they leaned Republican the more likely they were to get voted out of office. It is just not a good idea to be a moderate anything these days...Republican or democrat. Sad, very sad.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Hey! some of my best friends are democrats and I can even talk in English to them

Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Sigh...so predictable. This is why it's not possible to have a conversation with people that are far right. I don't even think the word Conservative applies to them, I just say it so they'll know who I am talking about. True Conservatives are rare.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Sigh...so predictable. This is why it's not possible to have a conversation with people that are far right. I don't even think the word Conservative applies to them, I just say it so they'll know who I am talking about. True Conservatives are rare.
True conservatives are rare. I used to be one until the neocons moved in and then the tea party and now the neighborhood is just not fit to live in anymore. I guess I still am a true conservative, but the Republican party is now a very scary place to be. I am moving to a new neighborhood.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:23 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
Don't let religion or politics dictate who your friends are, or you will miss the opportunity to bring very good people into your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies