Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,604,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
But this is the tolerance the dems are always telling us we don't have. They can't bring themselves to have a discussion with someone who disagrees with them.

Exactly!!! It is very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,936,560 times
How do you talk to Republicans?

Speak very slowly and use monosyllabic words.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,447,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I'm sorry but anyone who places that much stock in what Beck and Limbaugh say are not interested in having a discussion or opening their mind to you. They are not stupid, they know it's misinformation but they don't care. They repeat the same lies over and over again, no matter how many times you present the facts. They will call you a liar. They wil lie about the president and call him a liar in the same sentence.

They believe that they are right about everything (just read the threads on the forum). They don't believe in compromise or debate with anyone who does not think exactly the way they do. This is evident with what we've been hearing lately from Republican Congress men/women.

They believe that the majority of the country thinks like them and that everyone else is on the fringe. Although this is not true, even if it were, it still doesn't justify the spreading of lies and smear campaigns that have become commonplace among the far right. At one time the majority of Germany was Nazis. With all of that said, there are Republicans that are capable of holding an intelligent conversation or debate but the far right Fox News cronies are a lost cause.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,999,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
That is one of the fundamental differences between Republicans and Democrats, Democrats vote for what is in their own best interest, Republicans vote for what is in the Countries best interest.......... who is the greedy ones..?
So what you are saying is that democrats are more capitalistic? That is a new one, but that seems to be what you are saying. "By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it" Adam Smith, widely believed to be the father of Capitalism.

I don't believe for one moment. The vast majority of Republicans vote Republican because they believe that it is in their best interest to vote for Republican. They have been lead to believe that it is. They have many republicans believing that a flat tax ( a regressive tax) would benefit everyone. OMG.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,391,120 times
The same way you talk to anyone else. The question should be "how do you LISTEN to Republicans?" LOL...my answer? With the biggest earplugs you can find.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,930,614 times
How do you talk to Republicans? Simple, give them your excess money, well, if you have any.

Last edited by florida.bob; 11-08-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM

9,922 posts, read 10,885,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So what you are saying is that democrats are more capitalistic? That is a new one, but that seems to be what you are saying. "By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it" Adam Smith, widely believed to be the father of Capitalism.

I don't believe for one moment. The vast majority of Republicans vote Republican because they believe that it is in their best interest to vote for Republican. They have been lead to believe that it is. They have many republicans believing that a flat tax ( a regressive tax) would benefit everyone. OMG.
Point is, I have yet to see a post that accuses democrats of voting against their own interests but have seen multiple ones about republicans........ Democrats are the party of "what is government going to do for me?" (Greedy self interest)You see conservatives such as myself dont vote for senators to go to washington to bring home the bacon, I want them to go starve the hog. Is that in my best interest? short term probably not,but long term it is in my childrens and grandchildrens best interest. (Selfless caring for future generations.)

Old 11-08-2010, 03:16 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,252,194 times
Most republicans i know personally are so delusional they lie constantly and like Sarah Palin so I don't talk to them much.
I'm not much of a fan of domestic terrorist dishonest religious whackjobs, frankly. I find them to be spineless cowards.

When I do speak to them I tell them this.... They owe 14 trillion dollars.

Quote:
FORBES MAGAZINE

Clinton inherited a $290 billion deficit from George H.W. Bush. He reversed Bush's and Reagan's trickle down economic policies, raising taxes on the wealthy, and reducing them on the working and middle classes. He was able to reduce the deficit every single year of his presidency. By 1997, the government was running budgetary surpluses, the first since 1969. He delivered a $230 billion surplus in 2000.

Bush reversed Clinton's policies, lowering taxes on the very wealthy - his "base" as he called them - and effectively raising them on everyone else. In his first full year at the helm of the economy, he delivered a $157 billion deficit, and he never looked back. By 2004, the deficits were topping $400 billion a year. While Clinton delivered surpluses, Bush's deficits totaled some $3.7 trillion over his eight-year term. Clinton 6: Bush 0.

There is no subtlety, no ambiguity about the data or the economic performance they reveal. By every single measure, Bush's policies and tenure were worse - much worse - for the American economy and the American people than those pursued by Bill Clinton. And we are still living today in the aftermath of the destruction they have wrought.

We could add any number of other measures as well, measures not offered up by Forbes but which are still straightforward indices of economic performance. Clinton reduced poverty, from 15.1% when he took office to 11.3% when he left. Bush increased it, from 11.3% when he started to 12.5% at the end of 2008.

The stock market more than tripled under Clinton's tenure. The Dow went from 3,241 when he took office to 10,587 on the day he left. It actually declined under Bush's tenure, from 10,587 on the day he took office to 8,281 on the day he left. Between the recent stock market collapse and the housing crash, Bush destroyed more than $14 trillion in consumer wealth, a staggering, almost incomprehensible legacy of devastation that will haunt Americans for decades to come.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:21 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,635,249 times
Quote:
I have no problem talking to Republicans that are wealthy. I understand why they vote Republican. They will get to keep 3% more of their money unless the Bush tax cuts are extended. It does not do any good trying to convince a greedy person to give up some of their money..
Who's the greedy one, the guy that wants to keep the money he earned or the guy that wants to take it from him?

Quote:
But how do you talk to people who vote directly against their own interest by voting Republicans, 98% of us..
Perhaps they define their interests differently from how you define their interests.

Quote:
The inclination is just to call them stupid. That really gets you know where...you are elitist if you call a stupid person stupid. How do you overcome the sheer amount of disinformation they receive from Limbaugh and Fox every single day. The wealthy just have a much better propaganda machine. Information is power and they control it.
Calling a person stupid doesn't make you an elitist. Thinking you know more than them about what their best interests are and not being able to speak with them if they disagree is what makes you an elitist.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,829,650 times
Quote:
I have no problem talking to Republicans that are wealthy. I understand why they vote Republican. They will get to keep 3% more of their money unless the Bush tax cuts are extended. It does not do any good trying to convince a greedy person to give up some of their money.
Do you call people who want to keep the money they earned greedy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies