Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,849,833 times

Advertisements

I am a conservative who studies and reads about politics for several hours each day. I have been following Sharron Angle for a long time and I am very sad that she lost the election. She was my ideal candidate...everything that I dreamed of.

I have a friend who never pays any attention to politics. His main hobbies are gambling, watching TV wrestling and soap opears. There can be major news events happening and he will have no idea they are taking place in his own little world. Anyway as a heavy TV watcher, he was heavily influenced by Harry Reid's anti-Angle commercials. He would recite them word for word (no wonder millions of dollars are spent on these ads). He decided he must vote for Harry Reid because he is "good" and Sharron Angle is "bad". I couldn't even discuss any issues with him because he had no idea what I was talking about (he's not dumb btw he has an advanced math degree).

I am probably still too emotional over Angle's defeat but I am actually considering dropping my decades long friendship with this individual. It will cause him pain (especially considering it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't even know that Reid won the election)..but it's uninformed voters like himself that are causing me great pain and sadness. I have liberal friends who voted for Reid and I can understand why they did. So I dont think this has to do with ideology,,,I just can't stand people who form their political beliefs based on negative TV ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:36 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,202,209 times
I woke up after 9/11 .
I have moved some friends down to 1% of my free time . I have new ones that are thinking more like you .
Don't cut him off , he will wake up someday . It is not enjoyable for you to spend time with him but I bet he is a good person .
Does he not like Linda McMahon ?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,853,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am a conservative who studies and reads about politics for several hours each day. I have been following Sharron Angle for a long time and I am very sad that she lost the election. She was my ideal candidate...everything that I dreamed of.

I have a friend who never pays any attention to politics. His main hobbies are gambling, watching TV wrestling and soap opears. There can be major news events happening and he will have no idea they are taking place in his own little world. Anyway as a heavy TV watcher, he was heavily influenced by Harry Reid's anti-Angle commercials. He would recite them word for word (no wonder millions of dollars are spent on these ads). He decided he must vote for Harry Reid because he is "good" and Sharron Angle is "bad". I couldn't even discuss any issues with him because he had no idea what I was talking about (he's not dumb btw he has an advanced math degree).

I am probably still too emotional over Angle's defeat but I am actually considering dropping my decades long friendship with this individual. It will cause him pain (especially considering it wouldn't shock me if he doesn't even know that Reid won the election)..but it's uninformed voters like himself that are causing me great pain and sadness. I have liberal friends who voted for Reid and I can understand why they did. So I dont think this has to do with ideology,,,I just can't stand people who form their political beliefs based on negative TV ads.
I could never be really friends with a Republican. I am not even comfortable around them. I work with some and that is bad enough. I sure don't want to deal with them after work. You really should only be friends with people that share your political views if they are important to you. If they are not important- and to many folks, they are not- then you can be friends with people of other political beliefs. It is kind of like religion. Religion is not important to me so I can be friends with or even marry somebody of a different faith. But I could never marry a Republican.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,208,183 times
Quote:

Your problem is that you are friends with someone that relied on ads to draw a conclusion about a candidate. I am glad that Angle lost, but not because of the way she was portrayed in the ads. She took a tack of not speaking to the press or any other media than Fox. I find that very disturbing and suspect. When she did reveal her stances, I found them quite bizarre and quite frankly stupid and counter productive. She actually said that too much regulation caused the Gulf Coast oil spill???????

That being said, If your friend has other good qualities, you should just steer clear of the subject of politics with him and appreciate whatever else the freindship offers. You know what they say about the subjects of politics and religion. You can save those debates for her on CD

Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,235,409 times
If all you have to discuss with an old friend is politics, then you were never very good friends to begin with, OR you need to get out more and develop some hobbies. I have tons of both republican and democrat friends. Some I discuss politics with, and some I don't--it depends on how good of a friend they are, and if they can be respectful of differences in opinion. I can say this though--I have something in common with each of them that cements the relationship, or there wouldn't be any point to the friendship.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,845,625 times
I have very good friends of all different party affiliations. Some care, some don't. At least half of them disagree with me on politics so we don't talk about it too much but when we do we can respectfully discuss the issues. Same goes with religion. I have friends of all religions.

I like having friends with differing views. It makes life intersting and a continuous learing experience.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,481,390 times
Quote:
I was all about reading your post, but I couldn't get past the first paragraph.

I'm a conservative, and people like Sharon Angle scare the holy hell out of me. What a freaking nutjob. She honestly wants a "second amendment solution" to congress, thats threatening open rebellion, and THIS is your ideal candidate?

She wants people to bring truck loads of chickens to the doctor office. Last I checked, a good chicken will bring in about 20 dollars per chicken. My grandfathers last hospital bill was over 30,000 dollars before medicare, thats a hell of a lot of chickens my friend.

Politics shouldn't end friendship, but stupidity does and should.

I despise a lot of what Democrats did, I find their solutions lacking and far from what was actually needed.

You may be a Republican, which means you are the party of Bush and Reagan, but you aren't a conservative.

I urge you to read this if you think you're a real conservative.

Conservatives, Take Back Your Party! « Government is Not Your Daddy

Being conservative doesn't mean you want oppressive military spending, endless wars for no reason on foreign soil without being attacked first, legislating morality and crack pot ideas.

Google "goldwater" my friend, learn what real conservatives looked like. The last real conservative President we had in this country was Eisenhower.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM

858 posts, read 710,857 times
Everyone has their reasons for voting the way they did. I don't think you can fault him for that. Also, how are you sure that it was based simply on Reid's commercials? Didn't the other candidate run commercials as well? No one ever agrees with everything every candidate says but it could be that one topic they care most about. Perhaps this person likes the health care bill and thinks it is good that people have health care and based his decision on that. Perhaps he also was present when his friends and family discussed it and based decision on that. you never know but that's the way it is. Some people make decisions on commercials, other try to question the candidates...and other simply disregard everything and vote down party lines every time regardless of the issue.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,958,293 times
Quote:

How valuable is the friendship? Sounds like you've been friends with him for a long time. Ask yourself this, if you had a friend who voted for Angle based on negative television ads, would you do the same? There are many uninformed voters on both sides. I just avoid political discussions with my conservative associates for the most part. Either you accept people for who they are, or leave them alone.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,078,353 times
I think it comes down to a matter of respect. If one friend cannot agree with another friend not to broach certain subjects that one or the other finds upsetting or is uncontrollably passionate about, it probably isn't a friendship worth saving, for either friend. No friends will agree on everything. If they respect each other enough to make allowances for differing perspectives and recognize boundaries of contentious subjects it is likely a very strong friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies