Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,585,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Look at the signs next to any public or YMCA pool, they clearly state that you cannot swim wearing anything but a swimming suit. A person trying to swim in a full head cover and long dress like outfit creates a safety risk for them and the lifeguards who are paid to keep them alive. It's like trying to swim wearing jeans, a sweater and shoes.
See my response above. Furthermore, what if she was just there to watch the family have a good time but had not intention of getting in the water? Based on the limited facts from the article, she was denied access to the facility altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 07:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,842,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Is that a fact? Was that bit of information removed from the article?
No. It falls under strong likelihood. Poor choice of words on my part.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,414,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
No. It falls under strong likelihood. Poor choice of words on my part.
Falls under 'complete guess'. You have zero idea if they had swimsuits or not

Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
See my response above. Furthermore, what if she was just there to watch the family have a good time but had not intention of getting in the water? Based on the limited facts from the article, she was denied access to the facility altogether.
There might be a rule that one cannot enter a pool area without wearing swimming attire.

Furthermore, all the pools around here (that I know of) require swimming attire. They also require everyone to shower before entering the swimming area. I thought this rule existed everywhere.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-15-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,404,418 times
Quote:
Since when is it prohibited?

I can remember as a kid not being allowed into a public pool because I had cut offs on. As far as anyone going fully clothed or with a head scarve into a pool is ridiculous. It's a danger to them and more importantly a danger to those that will have to save their ass if they start drowning.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,404,418 times
Quote:
what if she was just there to watch the family have a good time but had not intention of getting in the water?
It's not a common occurrence but people fall into and drown in pools even when properly attired.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
...Since when has shorts of any nature,long dresses and head coverings been allowed in a swimming pool?
Quote:
Since when is it prohibited?

See Page 2.

Rules of Cook County Forest Preserve Aquatic Centers:

http://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/Rules%202010.pdf (broken link)

(PDF)

Dress Code:
All apparel worn in the pool shall be clean.
Everyone entering the facility must wear a swimming suite. A swim suite
must have a lining.
No one is permitted to walk through the locker rooms, sit anywhere in the facility
or concession unless they are wearing a swimming suite.
No cutoffs, sweats, work clothing, basketball shorts, leotards, thongs, etc.
Once on deck one may only be in one’s bathing suit with an optional cover-up.
Street shoes are not allowed on deck.

================================================== ====
The rules clearly state what the parents were wearing are not allowed in the facility.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
There might be a rule that one cannot under a pool area without wearing swimming attire.

Furthermore, all the pools around here (that I know of) require swimming attire. They also require everyone to shower before entering the swimming area. I thought this rule existed everywhere.
Perhaps. But the rules should have a reasonable foundation for their purpose, must be enforceable, and applicable to all. I have no problem with rules specifically stating that individuals entering the water must be wearing appropriate swimwear. However, if the rules are unfounded, are worded vaguely, or applied arbitrarily, then the entity's (in this case, the government's) decision to prohibit entry has no basis.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
See Page 2.

Rules of Cook County Forest Preserve Aquatic Centers:

http://www.fpdcc.com/downloads/Rules%202010.pdf (broken link)

(PDF)

Dress Code:
All apparel worn in the pool shall be clean.
Everyone entering the facility must wear a swimming suite. A swim suite
must have a lining.
No one is permitted to walk through the locker rooms, sit anywhere in the facility
or concession unless they are wearing a swimming suite.
No cutoffs, sweats, work clothing, basketball shorts, leotards, thongs, etc.
Once on deck one may only be in one’s bathing suit with an optional cover-up.
Street shoes are not allowed on deck.

================================================== ====
The rules clearly state what the parents were wearing are not allowed in the facility.
How does that explain this (from the article)?

Quote:
Meanwhile, friends and family who did not wear headscarves entered the water park fully clothed in regular attire without problems, according to the Chicago office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which filed thea complaint on behalf of the family with the Illinois Department of Human Rights.
Arbitrary application of the rules.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can remember as a kid not being allowed into a public pool because I had cut offs on. As far as anyone going fully clothed or with a head scarve into a pool is ridiculous. It's a danger to them and more importantly a danger to those that will have to save their ass if they start drowning.
Agreed. It IS ridiculous. Who goes to the pool full clothed? I don't and it defeats the purpose on a certain level in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not a common occurrence but people fall into and drown in pools even when properly attired.
Agreed. But was the basis for the denial of access safety related?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies