Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The federal minimum wage should be:
Higher than it is today 18 48.65%
Lower than it is today 0 0%
Kept the same 2 5.41%
Eliminated and left to individual states 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,780,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
I've always liked the flat tax idea. How does it reduce income gaps?
Are you kidding? It wouldn't reduce income gaps at all; it would increase them significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM

956 posts, read 1,118,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Not true. Wages fall because of illegal workers. If demand falls because wages fall, then prices also fall. Making items cheaper, which means its more easily afforded by those making less money.

Its not perfect, and some people will suffer, sure. However, its the best, worst system out there.
I was not speaking in the context of the price of goods and services. The situation you describe is too simplistic of a notion to follow. Those economic situations described in your textbooks don't account for all of the factors affecting our economy. If costs of production fall via illegals, do you really think that the firms will lower their prices to satisfy customers? To a degree certainly, but they are keeping the majority of that extra money to boost their profits.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,509,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Are you kidding? It wouldn't reduce income gaps at all; it would increase them significantly.
How so? The graduated tax system we have now allows the richest Americans to pay less in taxes than they would under a flat tax. With government programs to offset any taxable losses the lowest earners would make or pay in, it would be far more equal than what we are doing now.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
I was not speaking in the context of the price of goods and services. The situation you describe is too simplistic of a notion to follow. Those economic situations described in your textbooks don't account for all of the factors affecting our economy. If costs of production fall via illegals, do you really think that the firms will lower their prices to satisfy customers? To a degree certainly, but they are keeping the majority of that extra money to boost their profits.
Yes, they will lower their prices.

If they don't, they will have an increasingly higher supply, and they wouldn't be moving their product, which would ensure their downfall as a company.

I know its simplistic, thats the beauty of the free market, simple.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,801,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why doesn't the poll question match the the thread topic?
No kidding.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
How so? The graduated tax system we have now allows the richest Americans to pay less in taxes than they would under a flat tax.
I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion. I don't want to get into doing calculations right here on the forum, but how about this: If the richest Americans would pay more under a flat tax system, then why are economic conservatives in favor of a flat tax? Why would they advocate a system that would require the wealthy to pay even more in taxes than they do now?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion. I don't want to get into doing calculations right here on the forum, but how about this: If the richest Americans would pay more under a flat tax system, then why are economic conservatives in favor of a flat tax? Why would they advocate a system that would require the wealthy to pay even more in taxes than they do now?
Economic conservatives are in favor of a flat tax because of its simplicity. Its not a matter of paying more or less, they are fine with paying more.

What business men and real conservatives want is stability in the tax system. Not one that changes year, after year, after year, as ours does now. Businesses like the same thing over and over, that way they can plan out for years ahead. Which makes them more money then they would lose under a flat tax system.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Economic conservatives are in favor of a flat tax because of its simplicity. Its not a matter of paying more or less, they are fine with paying more.
Well that's news to me, and I have trouble believing it. The truth is that we'll probably never see a flat tax implemented in this country, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time thinking about it. Thanks for the response, though.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Well that's news to me, and I have trouble believing it. The truth is that we'll probably never see a flat tax implemented in this country, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time thinking about it. Thanks for the response, though.
Thats why most business leaders wanted a vote on the Bush tax cuts before the break. As it stands now, the market is in stasis until the government makes a decision on yes or no. If they raise them, fine, they plan for it and move on. If they keep the tax breaks, fine, they adjust and move on.

But if you run a business, its hard to plan and grow, if you don't know what your tax burden will be next year. Under a flat tax, this problem would be relieved.

I tend to agree with you, it will probably never happen. But hey, I'm sure someone in 1799 said that about slavery as well. I hold out hope

Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,440,014 times
Quote:
How so? The graduated tax system we have now allows the richest Americans to pay less in taxes than they would under a flat tax. With government programs to offset any taxable losses the lowest earners would make or pay in, it would be far more equal than what we are doing now.
I think you may be confusing the argument. All things being equal the wealthy pay less under a flat tax. Now it can be argued whether a flat tax w/o deductions would cost the wealthy more then the current system, but if you take a flat tax w/o deductions against a graduated tax w/o deductions the rich will pay less under the flat tax assuming you were trying to haul in the same amount of money.

About minimum wage most of the court battles I know of are about state minimum wage law, though federal minimum wage is predicated on the interstate commerce clause which has been interpreted very broadly by courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies