Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, this stuff is being showed in elementary schools every day of the year and some of it is about as bad as it says what we do is. When you first sign up on it look at who provided the money to create it. The Tides Foundation is the culprit so maybe you better google that group to see what they do.

At one point in this thing Annie says that the reason factories are being sent overseas is to take the toxins from factories away from our country. That isn't what I hear many people say about the moving of them, but maybe she is right and the others are wrong.

The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard (http://www.storyofstuff.com/international/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
"Colonialist". That's Becks new buzzword is it not? baabaabaa

Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Oh boy, this stuff is being showed in elementary schools every day of the year and some of it is about as bad as it says what we do is. When you first sign up on it look at who provided the money to create it. The Tides Foundation is the culprit so maybe you better google that group to see what they do.

At one point in this thing Annie says that the reason factories are being sent overseas is to take the toxins from factories away from our country. That isn't what I hear many people say about the moving of them, but maybe she is right and the others are wrong.

The Story of Stuff with Annie Leonard (http://www.storyofstuff.com/international/ - broken link)
A study currently underway for the United Nations is calculating the cost of pollution and other environmental damage caused by the 3,000 largest publicly held corporations in the world. The study, which will be published this summer, has found that the cost of environmental damage by these companies is $2.2 trillion, or more than one-third of their profits if they were held financially accountable. This includes greenhouse gas emissions, other pollution, and water degradation. The final amount is likely to increase once additional costs -- like toxic waste -- are incorporated.

The Guardian newspaper wrote: "The report comes amid growing concern that no one is made to pay for most of the use, loss and damage of the environment, which is reaching crisis proportions in the form of pollution and the rapid loss of freshwater, fisheries and fertile soils." Economists call that externalizing costs, and it's how corporations hide the true cost of making and selling cheap stuff -- costs that are never recorded on the balance sheets and consumers never see. As David Korten writes in When Corporations Rule the World, "Externalized costs don't go away -- they are simply ignored by those who benefit from making the decisions that result in others incurring them."
Annie Leonard: The Story of Stuff: Externalized Costs and the $4.99 Radio

Exposing facts and holding the companies accountable is not anti-Capitalism in my world. What world are you residing in...Beck World?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Do you get your information from watching Beck or from Media Matters and HuffPo? You surely haven't taken to watching Beck so I guess I see where you get that rich info.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Do you get your information from watching Beck or from Media Matters and HuffPo? You surely haven't taken to watching Beck so I guess I see where you get that rich info.

BTW, have you ever watched this little bit of crap? If not why don't you do so and we can discuss it instead of having you deflect to Beck.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A study currently underway for the United Nations is calculating the cost of pollution and other environmental damage caused by the 3,000 largest publicly held corporations in the world. The study, which will be published this summer, has found that the cost of environmental damage by these companies is $2.2 trillion, or more than one-third of their profits if they were held financially accountable. This includes greenhouse gas emissions, other pollution, and water degradation. The final amount is likely to increase once additional costs -- like toxic waste -- are incorporated.

The Guardian newspaper wrote: "The report comes amid growing concern that no one is made to pay for most of the use, loss and damage of the environment, which is reaching crisis proportions in the form of pollution and the rapid loss of freshwater, fisheries and fertile soils." Economists call that externalizing costs, and it's how corporations hide the true cost of making and selling cheap stuff -- costs that are never recorded on the balance sheets and consumers never see. As David Korten writes in When Corporations Rule the World, "Externalized costs don't go away -- they are simply ignored by those who benefit from making the decisions that result in others incurring them."
Annie Leonard: The Story of Stuff: Externalized Costs and the $4.99 Radio

Exposing facts and holding the companies accountable is not anti-Capitalism in my world. What world are you residing in...Beck World?
Beck hasn't been talking about this garbage for some time. I am sorry that in your world the United States is to take the heat and become a third world country to make the world a better place for those we have been cheating all these years.

I prefer living in my world and wonder when you are going to watch the Annie Leonard pile of Pelosi. Throwing in Beck really makes you think that you have deflected from this little movie that was created by the Tides Foundation to throw propaganda at children. What happens if their parents don't like this? I guess if you aren't some form of left you just don't count if you are a parent.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
So, in that case Beck should oppose the US Founding Fathers and start making apologetics for George III and Lord North.

(BTW that POV is EXTREMELY unpopular in both the US and Britain - the overwhelming consensus in both the US and UK is that the American Revolution was a win-win situation for both the former colonial power and the newly independent nation.)

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Beck hasn't been talking about this garbage for some time. I am sorry that in your world the United States is to take the heat and become a third world country to make the world a better place for those we have been cheating all these years.

I prefer living in my world and wonder when you are going to watch the Annie Leonard pile of Pelosi. Throwing in Beck really makes you think that you have deflected from this little movie that was created by the Tides Foundation to throw propaganda at children. What happens if their parents don't like this? I guess if you aren't some form of left you just don't count if you are a parent.
Teaching kids facts about pollutants and toxins and the sources from which they are coming, is the only chance there is to clean up this mess so that these kids inherit an environment that is safe to live in and the knowledge to not make the mistakes that we have concerning the health and habitability of the planet.

Your disdain for The Tides Foundation is unbelievable. You speak as if they are a Nazi run organization with ties to a terrorist group.

Our mission is to partner with philanthropists, foundations, activists, and organizations across the country and across the globe to promote economic justice, robust democratic processes, and the opportunity to live in a healthy and sustainable environment where human rights are preserved and protected.
About Tides | Tides (http://www.tides.org/about-us/index.html - broken link)

OMG...they sound so insidious, vile and evil.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Teaching kids facts about pollutants and toxins and the sources from which they are coming, is the only chance there is to clean up this mess so that these kids inherit an environment that is safe to live in and the knowledge to not make the mistakes that we have concerning the health and habitability of the planet.

Your disdain for The Tides Foundation is unbelievable. You speak as if they are a Nazi run organization with ties to a terrorist group.

Our mission is to partner with philanthropists, foundations, activists, and organizations across the country and across the globe to promote economic justice, robust democratic processes, and the opportunity to live in a healthy and sustainable environment where human rights are preserved and protected.
About Tides | Tides (http://www.tides.org/about-us/index.html - broken link)

OMG...they sound so insidious, vile and evil.
Most people don't want to really tell the truth in their About Us part of their website, but then as one of the useful idiots you manage to be taken in and try to take others in for the progressive organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies