Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,398,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah I agree. At this point they haven't refused to sell to them; they just refused to make the item they're requesting.
Right, apparently they haven't refused service to them for who they are. But, that's why I think this is an interesting situation.... since what they refused is something that represents who the customers are.

Hey.... I don't know the answer and I tend to agree that something other than legal actions is the way to go. But..... like I said, I think it's an interesting problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,258,947 times
The wife said it's a misunderstanding but the husband acknowledged there wasn't a misunderstanding. Given the location, I am glad that the mayor said that this does not represent Indy. Because the festivals etc. bring money to the community.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,785,331 times
Awww.... here we go with another parent of "impressionable" children who believes that kids turn into homosexuals to get back at their parents, or after watching something on TV, or seeing two lesbians kiss, or whatever other so-called suggestive imagery scares people today. Even rainbows, apparently, are suggestive imagery.

Regarding the bakery, the shop owner is a moron because she is too stupid to make up an excuse like "my equipment can't do that". Instead, she essentially paraded herself into the local news wearing a sandwich board that read "I'm an ignorant hick".

Fate usually has odd ways of dealing with people like the shop owner. The day that one of the formerly-impressionable daughters announces her lesbian relationship with another woman, will bring the whole thing full circle.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,454,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Awww.... here we go with another parent of "impressionable" children who believes that kids turn into homosexuals to get back at their parents, or after watching something on TV, or seeing two lesbians kiss, or whatever other so-called suggestive imagery scares people today. Even rainbows, apparently, are suggestive imagery.

Regarding the bakery, the shop owner is a moron because she is too stupid to make up an excuse like "my equipment can't do that". Instead, she essentially paraded herself into the local news wearing a sandwich board that read "I'm an ignorant hick".

Fate usually has odd ways of dealing with people like the shop owner. The day that one of the formerly-impressionable daughters announces her lesbian relationship with another woman, will bring the whole thing full circle.
I don't see why they had to make up an excuse in the first place. If they felt that the cupcakes were a violation of the values of their business then that should have been there story. It's their business and their values. They have the right to decide what they are or aren't going to sell.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,125,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Doubt it. There are probably many people who think they're correct and will go there just to keep them in business.

They are correct in refusing and you are correct to say people will go there just to keep them in business.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM

289 posts, read 352,999 times
I'm sure most of you that vilify the bakery also slammed the rite-aid store in N.J. that refused to make the birthday cake for the kid named Hitler by his parents a couple years ago.

...or was THAT different?

Regards,
TB

Last edited by Tundra Boy; 09-29-2010 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 09-29-2010, 05:25 PM

513 posts, read 545,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Forget gov't or courts. I think anyone in that town supporting gay rights ought to line themselves up at the door and ask to buy a rainbow cupcake every chance they get. Sorry, we don't have that said often enough might let them know how much business they've lost as a result.
So, that bakery better make those cupcakes OR ELSE!!

Yea, intimidation and extortion make great public policy!

No "tolerance" for the bakery owners! No matter how stupid I think the bakery owners are - they have the right not to be harrassed.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:25 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,569,358 times
it's a private business.

there's that sign they all put in the window...

"WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYBODY".

You may not like it, but it's their prerogative.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 PM

289 posts, read 352,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
it's a private business.

there's that sign they all put in the window...

"WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYBODY".

You may not like it, but it's their prerogative.

Exactly.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,785,331 times
They don't have to. It's simply amusing that instead of sweeping her fat heap of pride under the carpet for a few minutes, she chose to make a newsworthy issue out of her business. Maybe it will work in her favor. In rural Indiana, bastion of acceptance and intelligence that it is, her decision may appeal to the masses. And she'll probably pick up some church folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies