Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,938,957 times

Advertisements

Like I said, this group's strategy should be to go back and place an order for a cake that the bakery sells as an everyday item, with something along the lines of "John Loves Dave" on it. The bakery will refuse to do that, and then it's game on. I don't think it's there yet, but it's close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,242,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Doubt it. There are probably many people who think they're correct and will go there just to keep them in business.
There are just as many people in Indy that think otherwise and considering that lots of functions, meetings, trainings are held there, it would be ok if everyone utilized the "word of mouth is the best advertising method".

Old 09-29-2010, 04:26 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,938,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Liberals playing the victim card again. And who ran to cry and tattletale to the media after this non-incident happened, hmm? Somebody with a gay agenda perhaps?

Private businesses can do whatever they want. There are plenty of other bakeries the kids can get their rainbow cupcakes from.
I'm no liberal, and I don't typically support the activities of these groups, but you're completely wrong that private businesses can do whatever they want.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,492,402 times
Quote:
Liberals playing the victim card again. And who ran to cry and tattletale to the media after this non-incident happened, hmm? Somebody with a gay agenda perhaps?

Private businesses can do whatever they want. There are plenty of other bakeries the kids can get their rainbow cupcakes from.
So, in your mind, if a person is a gay activist, they are automatically liberal-victims? Is that the subject of this thread? Perhaps I misread the article, the OP, and the other posters' replies. Please explain how you came to this conclusion, that if one is gay, one has an "agenda" and one is liberal.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:

Isn't it grand? Hopefully, those plenty of other bakeries will get more business.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,042,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbug View Post
Shouldn't Bakery Be Allowed to Refuse Gays? | The Stir

Bigotry in the baking business

Owner
Owner
Yes. The bigot bakers have the right to refuse making those rainbow cupcakes. I think that those kids just learned a valuable lesson in that they should support those who support them. If they find merchants that are willing to support their events and possibly even donate to their cause, those are the ones that they should support, not open bigots. I don't buy Exxon, Target stores, Wal-mart nor any other businesses that are openly hostile to gays and lesbians. These kids should make their own rainbow cupcakes. It looks like a lot of fun.

12,200 posts, read 18,411,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
There are just as many people in Indy that think otherwise and considering that lots of functions, meetings, trainings are held there, it would be ok if everyone utilized the "word of mouth is the best advertising method".
But see that's the point. For every person who thinks this is wrong, there is probably someone who thinks it's right. That word of mouth advertising method can work just as effectively for the anti-gay crowd.

4,627 posts, read 10,492,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Like I said, this group's strategy should be to go back and place an order for a cake that the bakery sells as an everyday item...The bakery will refuse to do that, and then it's game on. I don't think it's there yet, but it's close.
Seems like the right thing to do, doesn't it?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
But see that's the point. For every person who thinks this is wrong, there is probably someone who thinks it's right. That word of mouth advertising method can work just as effectively for the anti-gay crowd.
It could. But we won't know until we try, eh?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:32 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,411,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
It could. But we won't know until we try, eh?
Go for it. I'd rather have the practices of a business swayed by lack of consumers than the government stepping in and saying "hey you can't do that".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies