Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,071,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I see that I should have included the <sarcasm> html tag...
Ah, well Poe's Law there.

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

Poe's Law - RationalWiki

Sadly, many people here do think that. At least I did it in my pirate voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,795,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrome View Post
It's not just Bush, it was Bush, CLinton and Reagan. Problem is, Obama is doing the same things they did. People who think that Obama has ruined the country in 2 years have no understanding of history and should be avoided at all costs.
It started WAY before that. As I have said in a few other posts, I am no longer left, right, or independent. POLITICS HAVE FAILED.

Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AFDC caseloads increased dramatically from the 1930s to the 1960s as restrictions on the availability of cash support to poor families (especially single-parent, female-headed households) were reduced. Under the Social Security Act of 1935, federal funds only covered part of relief costs, providing an incentive for localities to make welfare difficult to obtain. More permissive Northern laws were put to the test during the Great Migration between 1940 and 1970 in which millions of people migrated from the agricultural South to the more industrial North. Additionally, all able-bodied adults without children as well as two-parent families were originally disqualified from obtaining AFDC funds. Court rulings during the Civil Rights Movement struck down many of these regulations, creating new categories of people eligible for relief. Community organizations, such as the National Welfare Rights Organization, also distributed informational packets informing citizens of their ability to receive government assistance.[3] Between 1936 and 1969, the number of families receiving support increased from 162,000 to 1,875,000.[4] After 1970, however, federal funding for the program lagged behind inflation. Between 1970 and 1994, typical benefits for a family of three fell 47% after adjusting for inflation.[5]

I was paid well under percentile wages in Ocala FL. (2001-2007) because of the ridiculous agricultural laws. What a crock. GREED, GREED, GREED, will be the ultimate downfall of America.

Frances Fox Piven questioned whether the problem with AFDC was not so much a problem with the welfare system, but with the structuring of low-wage work in general:
"Logically, but not in the heated and vitriolic politics created by the attack on welfare, a concern with the relationship of welfare to dependency should have directed attention to the deteriorating conditions of the low-wage labor market. After all, if there were jobs that paid living wages, and if health care and child care were available, a great many women on AFDC would leap at the chance of a better income and a little social respect."[13]
The word in red needs changed to 'people'. Logic has NO PLACE in politics. Politics needs DUMPED.

Welfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The National Review editorialized that the Economic Stimulus Act of 2009 will reverse the welfare-to-work provisions that Bill Clinton signed in the 1990s and again base federal grants to states on the number of people signed up for welfare rather than at a flat rate.[17] One of the experts who worked on the 1996 bill said that the provisions would lead to the largest one-year increase in welfare spending in American history.[20] The House bill provides $4 billion to pay 80% of states' welfare caseloads.[16] Although each state received $16.5 billion annually from the federal government as welfare rolls dropped, they spent the rest of the block grant on other types of assistance rather than saving it for worse economic times.[15]

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tried to post the Average Monthly TANF Recipients, Percent of U.S. Families in Poverty and Unemployment Rate graph, but it came out wrong. If interested you'll have to click on the above link. The dates are 1996 - 2007.

Poverty levels are due to a lack of LIVABLE WAGES and because the richest in our country are, I'll say it again, GREEDY.

The United States, since The Great Depression, hasn't ever REALLY recovered. If we had, this one among many recession/depressions in between, would never have happened.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,778,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
The United States, since The Great Depression, hasn't ever REALLY recovered. If we had, this one among many recession/depressions in between, would never have happened.
nonsense. economies are supposed to have cycles, and that includes recessions.

our problem is that we have had a policy of recession-postponing. or in other words, "not taking our medicine," pushing the restructuring off until another day.

well, another day is here.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,771,000 times
I am glad le roi you realize business has cycles and that recessions happen. All the screaming from the liberal left 18 mos ago was aimed at republicans and the actual con artists that started the mortgage crisis, like Frank and Dodd got ignored. The OP wants to know if blaming Bush is benifiting the left and I say no. The polls I saw last night were 78% of people polled are now giving the Obama administration the spotlight and that this is now his economy. The thing is, we should all stop with the finger pointing and come up with some viable solutions to stop the job losses which continue. You could start by writing your democratic leaders and this president to ask them to come to the table instead of shutting the door in the republicans face. If they continue to just blame Bush and the republicans then this really is their baby.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,989,040 times
As far as I`m concern, everybody in washington is to blame. From past to present.They`ve ll had some part in it or did nothing to better anything. And lets not forget the greedy narcissitic bankers and wal street.Plus anybody else who was involved with our countries problems.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
Let us no forget the greed on mainstreet that wanted the asme thiong. Its just that they always will if allowed to by no regualtion on who can finance what with no credit worthyness.They are not called no documantation and lier loans for nothing really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies