Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,540,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
what are you talking about?
I pointed out that a mother and father could get a job at McDonalds, and make 40K a year, and let the federal government help with childcare.

This, to me, was a better alternative than food stamps, because they are providing a service.

He was pointing out that the money comes from the same place. As I said before, its harder for conservatives to fight against "we got government childcare so we could work" over "we got food stamps so we could stay at home with the kids"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,361,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman View Post
Long intro indeed. Amazing that with all the class envy he has time to spew during the intro he fails to acknowledge the dumpster diving comment being yet another dig at hand wringing, "compassionate" libs. Ever heard of Project Dignity? Their solution for the homeless and hungry was to make sure each homeless person gets a shopping cart with good wheels and to produce a video showing proper dumpster diving techniques. What a bunch of fools.
[YouTube - ‪Rush Limbaugh- Dumpster Diving]
Can you imagine? How do they sleep? I remember years ago seeing Michael Moore made speechless, if you can imagine such a thing, on some talk show that also had a smirking, very young guy representing some group like that, laying out their modest proposals. IIRC MM ended up spluttering, "What do your parents think of you?!" (Looked for the clip at youtube but didnt see it.)

Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM

33,116 posts, read 19,755,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I pointed out that a mother and father could get a job at McDonalds, and make 40K a year, and let the federal government help with childcare.

This, to me, was a better alternative than food stamps, because they are providing a service.

He was pointing out that the money comes from the same place. As I said before, its harder for conservatives to fight against "we got government childcare so we could work" over "we got food stamps so we could stay at home with the kids"
your not getting the point

a few(many actually) years back I became a single(widdowed) dad, I looked at daycare (200 a week)(800 a month)..I would need a second job just to afford to work and put my son in daycare...I would NOT go get welfare, because I looked at it as "I dont need it, I am not poor"...well after a little armstwisting from friends and family, I did,,,I made just under the cutoff(31k) at the time..and instead of paying 200 a week for daycare, I paid 35....but food stamps came with that too

the point is that welfare...be it, day care assistance or food stamps, its all part of the big welfare umbrella

btw 1 year later during my annual review(for work) I got a 1% raise (inflation was at 3.5% so I still lost 2.5%...but that took me over that thresshold..I lost the assistance..... a 25 cent/hour raise ($10 a week) cost me $160 per week

Last edited by workingclasshero; 08-06-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-06-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the point is that welfare...be it, day care assistance or food stamps, its all part of the beg welfare umbrella
I'm sorry that that happened, wch. But it was good to have the umbrella when you needed it, wasn't it?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
your not getting the point

a few(many actually) years back I became a single(widdowed) dad, I looked at daycare (200 a week)(800 a month)..I would need a second job just to afford to work and put my son in daycare...I would NOT go get welfare, because I looked at it as "I dont need it, I am not poor"...well after a little armstwisting from friends and family, I did,,,I made just under the cutoff(31k) at the time..and instead of paying 200 a week for daycare, I paid 35....but food stamps came with that too

the point is that welfare...be it, day care assistance or food stamps, its all part of the beg welfare umbrella

btw 1 year later during my annual review(for work) I got a 1% raise (inflation was at 3.5% so I still lost 2.5%...but that took me over that thresshold..I lost the assistance..... a 25 cent/hour raise ($10 a week) cost me $160 per week
You live in New York. 31K there is like 18 other places.

I wouldn't slam you for getting federal assistance due to that. Especially with extenuating circumstances like a divorce. You can't just leave like that when you have another parent to worry about.

My point is, that in MOST of America, two parents can get a job at a fast food joint making about 20K a year a piece, with a little effort. Then with federal aid for childcare, wouldn't need food stamps.

And my on the welfare umbrella, is that its easier to stomach for conservatives to pay for things that allow you to work, then it is to allow you to live on.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,893,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You live in New York. 31K there is like 18 other places.

I wouldn't slam you for getting federal assistance due to that. Especially with extenuating circumstances like a divorce. You can't just leave like that when you have another parent to worry about.

My point is, that in MOST of America, two parents can get a job at a fast food joint making about 20K a year a piece, with a little effort. Then with federal aid for childcare, wouldn't need food stamps.

And my on the welfare umbrella, is that its easier to stomach for conservatives to pay for things that allow you to work, then it is to allow you to live on.
Or have one adult working during the day and one a night. I know a few that does that, But its also because they dont want their child in childcare / daycare. Just try and make sure you have the same days off so you can spend time together.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Or have one adult working during the day and one a night. I know a few that does that, But its also because they dont want their child in childcare / daycare. Just try and make sure you have the same days off so you can spend time together.
Quite true.

Children are Americans number one luxury expense, bar none.

I say luxury, because you don't have to have one. Anything you don't have to buy, isn't a necessity, its a luxury item.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,684,612 times
I was behind a woman in line this morning paying with the food stamp credit card. Her groceries were divided into 6 different groups and she paid separately for some reason. I would of liked to of had some of the things she bought, they were what I consider luxury items. The cashier told me once someone came in with a $5,000 credit on their card.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I was behind a woman in line this morning paying with the food stamp credit card. Her groceries were divided into 6 different groups and she paid separately for some reason. I would of liked to of had some of the things she bought, they were what I consider luxury items. The cashier told me once someone came in with a $5,000 credit on their card.
Eligible Food Items

Eligibility

How did the person have a $5,000 credit on their food stamp card?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,684,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Eligible Food Items

Eligibility

How did the person have a $5,000 credit on their food stamp card?
I guess it is based on the number of dependents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies