Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:46 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,776,639 times

Advertisements

The main problem with America right now is that it just has too few political parties. America has 2 parties, that's only one more party than Communist China. There are many countries with more than 2, I remember reading that there was one country that even had 8! (I don't remember which one though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,847,916 times
Their are many parties besides the big 2. Green, constitution, independent, libertarian, and many more. The problem is the others get little to no support.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,361,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
The main problem with America right now is that it just has too few political parties. America has 2 parties, that's only one more party than Communist China. There are many countries with more than 2, I remember reading that there was one country that even had 8! (I don't remember which one though)
I see that you want to do away with the Presidential system that was established by our Constitution. I say that because with even three parties we would have times when nobody would have a majority in Congress so they would have to use coalitions to get anything done. Look at the Parliamentary system of any of those multi-party systems and see if you want to trade our system for theirs. If they can't get anything done with the super majorities we now have in the Congress think what it would be like with even one party more.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,903,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Their are many parties besides the big 2. Green, constitution, independent, libertarian, and many more. The problem is the others get little to no support.

They are decoys to take votes from the other two and make suckers think they actually have another choice .

Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,823,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that you want to do away with the Presidential system that was established by our Constitution. I say that because with even three parties we would have times when nobody would have a majority in Congress so they would have to use coalitions to get anything done. Look at the Parliamentary system of any of those multi-party systems and see if you want to trade our system for theirs. If they can't get anything done with the super majorities we now have in the Congress think what it would be like with even one party more.
Show me the part of the Constitution that mentions political parties.

What Party was George Washington in? Adams? Jefferson?

Last edited by Art123; 07-27-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,691,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

Washington did not belong to any political party.

Adams and Jefferson both founded political parties, the Federalists and the Democratic-Republicans (who became today's Democratic Party) respectively.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM

4,788 posts, read 5,918,170 times
I am sick of the old dem/rep thingy.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:16 PM

5,718 posts, read 6,467,474 times
I agree, I'd like there to be many more parties. "Liberal" and "conservative" just don't adequately describe anybody's beliefs. It is far more complex than that.

However, it'll never happen unless we switched to Proportional Representation in congress and Popular Vote to elect the president.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,492,044 times
And you can bet that the old 2 we currently have, will make sure that is stays this way, Just the two.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,361,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

There is nothing about parties in the Constitution but the Presidential form we have is drawn up there. A multi-party system will destroy that system in time and lead us to Parliamentary government. Do you fail to see that when enough parties are involved coalitions will have to be formed and then they will work until the President wants something that one or two of them doesn't want. Study up a little on democracies and how they work and maybe you will understand how we cannot keep this Presidential system with a multi-party system.

Parties were already forming before Washington left New York, that was the capitol back then. Even today we have one party, the Democrats, that claim Jefferson as their founder. Ok no parties other than the federalists and the anti-federalists who were in existence during the nearly two years when the ratification of the Constitution was going on, but the parties had begun then. The most humorous part of this story is that the Federalists, as they came to be known, eventually became the Republicans after many other designations and the anti-Federalists became the Democrats. Today the Dems believe in strong, powerful central government as the Federalists did and the GOP believes in a less strong central government like the anti-Federalists did.

Try reading up on that part of our history sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies